A Heart of Darkness - Chapter 2: New Members of the Family (RandomAirPeople)

So the VA says I qualify for a service animal, to help me deal with the more psychological aspects of my disabilities. Unfortunately, I have a very strong allergy to dogs, so I could never keep one in the house. It’s a shame, I really like dogs. My VA doctor understood this and recommended that I go out and buy some Fluffies. I never would have considered this, but I’m pretty desperate to get some solid sleep.

The whole Fluffy fiasco I was never really privy too while I was in the Navy. When PETA broke Hasbio’s prototypes out, I was one month into a nine-month deployment in Africa. I’ve heard mixed things about them from new sailors, and never was particularly interested in them. At best they can be very loyal, though stupid pets. At worst, they can be invasive ecological disasters destroying your property. I’ve heard the stories of feral herds marching unto people’s properties and unleashing total devastation. It’s ironic, a Bio toy for little girls is a political hot topic and has bled into many aspects of life. City planning, crop protection, environmental protection, dedicated stores, and products just for these semi-sentient colorful mini horses. I decided to do some extensive research and decided it may be in my best interest to grab some.

As luck were to have it, a breeder I happened to know from my days in the Navy had four orphaned foals he needed to get rid of. Their mom died during birth, the fifth baby got stuck and the mare died of an infection. Although he wanted to take care of them, he was far too busy to hand rear orphaned foals himself. At a friend and disabled veteran discount, I was able to walk away with four fluffies for two pizzas and a case of beer. He loaded up the chirpy foals into a small, blanket lined box and gave me detailed instructions to take care of them. Although it will take some work, I am pretty excited for this new project.

When I get home, I bring the foals into their new but unfinished saferoom. I hear their agitated peeping; they must be pretty hungry. Perhaps I’ve gotten too soft or just have too much money to blow, I purchased an ultra-premium, Hasbio foal formula for them. Its nutrient rich, and supposedly tasted like “Bestest Sketti Mwilkies” whatever the fuck that is supposed to mean. My friend said this is the gold standard for high quality fluffies, and if I’m going to go through all this effort I shouldn’t half ass it. I warm up the formula to the optimal temperature, and hand feed each foal to their hearts content.

I took the time to observe each one when I bottle fed them, being sure to make note of any interesting things. I double check the four foals; it seems I have two colts and two fillies. The first of my colts is a bright indigo furred Pegasus with what appears to be a spring green mane. He suckled slowly and responded with cooing from when I gently stroked him grabbing my thumb, the fluffy temperament suggests he will most likely be an oversensitive fluffy. His brother is a brown unicorn with what appears to be a black mane, which is unfortunate for him. I’ve read about how some Fluffy parents favor pretty colored foals, and often reject unappealing colored foals. He drank from the bottle pretty greedily and complained quite a bit when I had to take the bottle away, indicating that he perhaps would be a very outgoing and jovial fluffy. The first filly was an earthy with pale red fur and what will soon grow into a brown mane. This fluffy drank from the bottle pretty aggressively and kept tapping my thumb as if to push me away. Fluffy siblings can become very competitive for their mother’s limited resources, and the handbook warns me that this can be early indication of ‘bestest babbeh’ entitlement, an early sign of being a smarty. The final fluffy is a unicorn with snow white fur and what will be a pink mane. She drank her milk but seemed more interested in tapping her little hooves around the environment. This behavior, the book suggest may indicate she will be an adventurous, “Splorin’ Babbeh” so I’ll need to make sure she doesn’t get into too much trouble.

Immediately after they drank their formula, I had to help the fluffies eliminate their waste. As gross as this is and tedious the clean-up, it needs to be done. I bring them to their new nest, a left over my friend gave me to keep the fluffies in. The nest is incredibly soft, and has a fur pillow that’s designed to emulate a fluffy’s mom for the foals to snuggle in. The pillow takes hot water, as to help the fluffies regulate their body heat which is essential for them to not die of hypothermia. They generally sleep for fourteen hours a day for the first few weeks, only waking up for milk, elimination, and affection until their eyes open and they can crawl freely. I’ve already decided their names: Indy, Truffle, Pyra, and Flurry

>First< | Next>>

22 Likes