A Series Of Rationally Stated Complaints/H83R Departure

Damn, New Drama?

1 Like

Okay, so I woke up about 2 hours ago and have been working on migrating the site host because the current one sucks, and haven’t really had the time to witness this shitstorm. It took me a good solid 30 minutes to read through the rest of the thread, but I’m finally able to respond to some of the stuff that was being said.

Let me start off by saying that I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. I’m not a great admin, and I don’t make the best choices all the time. When I took over, I did it out of an adoration for the community, because I didn’t want to let it die because I knew I had the means to save it. I was honestly more content being the “server guy” that just tries his best to fix the site when it went down. But then, slowly, it morphed into me having far more responsibility than I was ready to have, which lead to a bunch of problems that snowballed into what we see today.

I don’t know why you are so hopelessly obsessed with being a martyr, H83er. Part of the reason you were allowed to get away with mutes is being we really, truly, do not like permabanning people because at the end of the day this is the only genuine place to properly read, write, draw and post about fluffy stuff, and until someone makes another server, it stays that way. As such, we’ve been overly lenient toward many people when they fucked up, because I know that most of the outrage is caused by a genuine love for the community, people only get pissed and start hurling insults when it’s something they care about, and taking that away, even if deserved, didn’t seem right.

@Reddit-Word_H83r That being said, though, if you make posts like this I hope you understand you literally don’t give me much of a choice, once I’m done posting this (and done doing the migration prep) I’ll be permanently banning you off the site. Not because I want to, but because you seem to need it, and as lenient as I’d like to be I really can’t ignore something of this magnitude. It makes me upset that it has to come to this, quite frankly, but it’s too late now.

It’s usually pointless to try and argue about a perception of yourself with someone, it’s subjective at best. But if possible, I’d like to try and understand your reasoning. I’ve done all that I could to try and be a good admin, I didn’t do much counseling or anything, but I’ve done the best with what I was given, I tried keeping the rules mostly what they were, I didn’t restructure the team too much, for I didn’t think it was my authority to do so, since I was still new. Maybe to you that’s being lazy, but I had every reason to act like I did.

Oculus looked into DMs once during a drama situation, thinking he could resolve it that way. He was reprimanded by the team, because we internally are able to log who accesses those kinds of records. He has since not done that anymore, but naturally once someone is branded with a stigma, it’s very hard to get rid of. I have personally never had an issue with Oculus, and I could never relate to the negative opinions that others have had of him, but I never denied it being true because I simply was not involved with him prior to me taking over.

Let me state that Oculus isn’t an “admin” per sé, by his own preference, he’s simply in his role to restore old content. Because of Discourse limitations, that’s made easier by having admin privileges, but every action is logged so it’s not like it’s not monitored what he does. I have previously refused to remove him from the team because I felt it unjust to take other people’s word for someone’s misbehavior, if I removed every person from the team that someone takes issue with, I’d not have any team at all. But the animosity against him just does not die down, which is something I personally cannot understand.

With all this resurfacing, I’m going to rethink Oculus’ position on the team. Personally, I don’t think it’s fair from my own perspective to remove him, but part of my position has to consider that if drama like this keeps popping up, maybe it’s just best for everyone involved.

This is a point I keep seeing brought up. “Laziness”. What constitutes laziness as a site admin? What active responsibility do most of us have? We curate drama in a way we deem fit, that way won’t appeal to everyone, it never can, but we try our best. But in any event, your solution to fix laziness is to remove them? But that just leads to even less shit getting done. We are spread paper-thin as a team right now, and removing anyone that even does just a little bit isn’t the right approach, in my opinion.

I have asked people to join the moderation team before, I’ve made a post, and I have also reached out to specific members of the community, active members, that I thought might make for good candidates. But guess what? Nobody wants to fucking deal with this. Posts like these are the reason nobody wants to moderate, it’s exhausting, pointless, and it’s so utterly childish. You can never satisfy everyone, it’s an up-hill battle, people don’t value the things you do right, they only point out the things you fuck up. It’s human nature.

Someone marked the post as inappropriate and the site reacted automatically by hiding it. I restored it.

Yeah. I’m setting up the new server as we speak. Hopefully I’ll have it done by tomorrow, it’s just taking a bit longer than I was hoping, I wasn’t able to do it over the weekend. Sorry for the inconvenience.

On that note, I’m going to be restarting this server to set up the new mail host, so be prepared.

10 Likes

Why is it that whenever you finally make up your mind, there’s still an arbitrary waiting game?

Go into your interface.

Ban me now.

Jesus, alright fine.

6 Likes

Banzai dipshit!

1 Like

So that means you will be allowing people to delete accounts right? nobody should be told you cant leave on any community nevermind a community that could be potentially problematic. ill quote a mr owl post

Its not up to a mod wether someone is ready to leave right? you should be able to just say “ye i want out bye” and no questions should be asked its the users work and the user should have a right to decide when its time to give it up.

@Reddit-Word_H83r my apoligize for jumping on your thread a little here but i know the mods are gonan be all over this thread so ill get a responce.

3 Likes

Anonymized data is not subject to the GDPR. The reason we had been anonymizing accounts instead of deleting them is for preservation efforts, should the person ever wish to come back, they can simply have their old content restored. It is synonymous with permanent deletion safe for the ability to have it restored if the person wants it back.

Not to mention, even if we remove the account, it’s not like their images or stories are gone. People back up pretty much everything on this site constantly, it’s hard to fully erase your presence online. If you do not want something of yours to be publicly accessible, don’t post it.

Many sites don’t have a “Delete Account” option, the ones that do primarily do it because of convenience and to not have to deal with GDRP as they do operate in Europe. From what I recall, the way Discourse is set up, you cannot give that access easily. Since deletion on that scale is an administrative feature, it’s either “Able to delete everyone” or “Able to delete nobody”. It’s possible that we could program something like that, but that’s an additional effort on our part.

7 Likes

@Ryou sadly im.too swamped at work to reapond right now in any detail (two people quit so i got to do thejr jobs in addition to my own).

But honestly man, you’re digging your hoke deeper by how you responded to all of that.

Additionally what you just said up there ammounts to, “artists dont own their content” which is kind of fucked up.

Why was oculus even given power to look through DMs

Even I know he’s an asshat to almost everyone

1 Like

@anon31982078 With all due respect, I really don’t care right now. I’ve been working the past 5 hours or so trying to set up a new server so that this site runs better than it does,

I don’t need people berating me for how I respond, or calling me “lazy and meek”.

I’m telling you how shit works here. I’m not the one who set up the rules, I’m telling you that’s how it was when I took over. I’m not opposed to changing the way we curate archived content, but that’s an entirely separate discussion. Of fucking course artists own their content, but you are being naive if you think that if we delete an image, it’s not going to eventually be reposted a couple years later on a different Fluffy site.

He wasn’t given the power, it was a power that’s innate to any admin. I wasn’t aware of it initially, in any case. However, I’m able to see any action taken by any admin, because we have server logs, and I can say he hasn’t done it ever since he’s done so in the first place.

Additionally, I’ve already spoken to him, and I’m likely to remove him from the team in the following days. I just don’t have the energy to defend him from allegations, and if people hate a staff member that much, then it’s counter-productive to have him on the team, just or not.

8 Likes

I can confirm this happens everywhere, moreso in fandoms under constant siege like the brony fandom and by extension this one.
Truth is, there’s always an archiver out there for whatever anyone does. Before fluffies were even a trend we were already fighting back the balete fucking everything from artists and musicians over the brony fandom. Reminder fluffies were born from us bronies’ rib, and thus the fluffy fandom inherited our obsession for archiving everything.
So what’s my point? No one who has set foot here and posted any art or software can erase its footprint. Your shit stays with us… FOREVERRRR. So erasing an account won’t destroy anything. Your past will remain. Your mistakes and your rights too. So… what would be the point on it?
Just deactivate the newsletters and email notifications and take a leave. Having an account in a site doesn’t mean you have to visit the site, duh.
Same goes for asking for permabans. It’s simply stupid. Don’t like the site? Pack your shit and make sure you don’t get notifications.

5 Likes

But thats then, we are talking about here and now, users have the opportunity there and then to decide what and where there content is shown, or at least they should. and as far as preservation effort should someone want to come back most artist will back up there content themselves plus if a user desides they want to leave they do it knowing their content will also be deleted or should.

what happens a month from now a year from now is irrelevent while the artist is present he/her and he/her alone should get a say on how his/her content is distributed.

Edit: just to clarify im not talking about my content specifically i spend like 5-10 minutes making my goofy ass pictures i only started due to feeling a little guilty for lurking for so long and not contributing anything

2 Likes

As a member of TFP I was never discriminated against, and I am left-leaning and openly queer as fuck, so what’s your point buddy ._.

7 Likes

Hooooo weeeeee this post is drawing out all the "literally who"s, and even a handful of oldfags whose names I bothered to remember

Also, thank you Nixy for speaking up in support of the server. It means a lot to know that I’m doing my job decently enough.

And I didn’t say it earlier, but also thank you to Jingles for having such kind things to say. I don’t care what a few nobodies have to say, you’re cool.

3 Likes

Mam nadzieję, że mimo wszystko utrzymamy kontakt ^^’ Masz discorda?

2 Likes

Like I mentioned, I had mostly good experiences and it feels like home ^^ Glad to be a part of this community, let’s just hope something gets settled here. So far all I’m seeing is a huge shitstorm, but I’m hoping for some overruling

5 Likes

Also, Virgil was right. Without him in charge this site goes to shit, which is very sad to see

5 Likes

Actually, I think Ryou is responding in a a more level-headed way than I ever could.
When he came home to a house on fire, he reacted with hoses.
I…tended to react with explosives.

9 Likes

You know what? Sometimes explosions WERE the answer for our little shit show ^^’

Why water down the fun when we can have nuclear blasting fuckin’ BOOMING fireworks?!

1 Like

Everything Ryou has said here is correct.
Discourse is great at a lot of things, but it lacks quite a bit of nuance when it comes to permissions.
For many settings it’s all or nothing.

“I want a person to able to transfer ownership of posts for archiving works”
“OH THAT’S AN ADMIN! YOU MUST GIVE FULL ADMINISTRATIVE PERMISSIONS TO SUCH A PERSON”

This is just one of many things that I would love to see edited for our particular instance, but that’s not particularly easy. Especially when most of us involved in the project also have regular jobs. (I’m pretty sure none of us is independently wealthy)

4 Likes