As Above, So Below. Ch. 1 PT. 1 (By: Anesthesia)

Chapter 1: Ascension From Hell Part 1

“You’ve been stable, correct?”

“Yep.”

“No outbursts since the initial incident?”

“Nope.”

He sighed. “Alright then, I’m issuing you an emotional support fluffy. Take this note to the shelter on 72nd, and they’ll let you pick any foal you want.”

“Coo- wait what?” Jason looked up from his hands in a hurry, and looked at his psychiatrist, Dr. Stanford. He was an older man, probably mid-late 50s, Jason never bothered to ask, with rounded glasses just slightly off-kilter. Slicked back silver hair, and a light brown vest with some condiment stain on his chest.

He hated it. He hated him. He hated all of this bullshit. Ever since that stupid incident, he’s been forced to come to these fucking appointments, constantly having to listen to this man talk to him like he understood what’s going on. Understood him. He doesn’t. Doesn’t understand the constant anxiety that causes his outbursts, the cutting himself off from other people, to not have to deal with the emotional weight that is trusting people. His fear of losing them. He thinks he’s just some depressed loser with anger issues… but that’s not what he is.

“If you would listen to me when I’m speaking, you would’ve heard me say that I am issuing you a support fluffy.” Dr. Stanford finished writing the note, and held it in between two of his fingers, as he leaned back in his chair.

“No no no no no. Why?!” Jason stood up, walking over to the Doctor’s desk, and slammed his hands on it. What was this man thinking? A support fluffy?!

Stanford didn’t react. “Let’s see… you’re obviously lying to me, refusing to seek a therapist, and not taking the medication I am prescribing you. Honestly this is all I can think of.” He held out the note.

“But… Why a fluffy? Why not a dog, or any other thing?” Jason looked at him, confused.

“Because your insurance doesn’t cover it. Ever since fluffies got into the wild, they became extremely common, and therefore, extremely cheap. Actual animals, like dogs and cats, etc., have become a rarity because of it. So the best we can do for you is a fluffy.”

“…Fine.” Jason groaned, as he snatched the note from Stanford’s fingers, and walked to the door.

“I’ll be asking you about it next time!” Stanford smiled.

“Yeah, whatever…” Jason slammed the door behind him, leaving the hospital.

The Next Day, Home

Alone. Though, he doesn’t know why It’d feel any different. This house has always felt alone. He’s always felt alone, ever since the incident. The dull gray walls, almost matching his hair. Couch and chairs, giving the need to have them filled, though they never are.

Jason leaned against the kitchen counter, and gripped the cold, condensation covered beer he retrieved from the fridge, as he stared hypnotically into the red colored light of the microwave clock, much like his own eyes, as time slowly passed him by. This was how he spent most of his time, when he wasn’t at work. Days upon days in his dimly gray house, doing… nothing.

Did he really need an emotional support fluffy? Nothing else has worked, what makes Stanford think a biological mistake will? He’s seen them defecate, and have sex in public before, and just be a general nuisance. He even needed to kick a herd off his property once. What could they really… do?

He turned, and looked at the note laying next to his keys. What’s the worst that could happen? He has another incident, and all the ‘progress’ he’s made will be lost? Jason stared at the note for a few seconds, before grabbing it and his keys, and heading out the door.

The Shelter

Jason pushed open the door into the shelter, and immediately his senses were overloaded.

His eyes were assaulted by the disgustingly bright colors and images plastered across all the walls, it felt like his eyes were burning. The extremely loud noises of fluffies hurt his ears. Mummahs loudly singing off-key to their unborn babbehs, foals running around playing and begging for ‘Miwkies’ and ‘Nyu Daddehs & Mummahs’, and chirpy babbehs ‘cheep!’ And ‘peep!’ ing about. And to top it all off, the place smelled like shit. Literal shit. He groaned, as he walked up to the front desk.

“Hello! Welcome to the fluffy shelter, my name is Lucy! How can I help you today?” The woman, now known as ‘Lucy’, greeted him. He didn’t greet her back, and just placed his note down.

“My doctor is making me get an… emotional support fluffy.” He sighed. The girl giggled at that, and grabbed the note, looking it over, before nodding. “Alright, everything looks in order. Just pick one fluffy from the area over there. As you know fluffies-“

She just kept talking. Not like he was really listening, just nodding occasionally, and saying ‘mhm’ or ‘okay’ every now and then, until she stopped. Jason walked over, and peered into the sectioned off area full of a bunch of different foals, most of which were either an eyesore, or dull and bland. As he looked in, most of the foals scrambled over to the small glass wall, even climbing over each other to be first and be adopted.

“Wan be nyu daddeh?!”

“Wook! Am dancie babbeh! Pick fwuffy! Pick fwuffy!”

“Nu! Pick dis fwuffy!”

“Nu talkie dumneh poopie babbeh! Dey nu wan ou! Onwy bestest babbeh!”

He frowned in annoyance at all of them being so… needy. Begging for any type of salvation, before they inevitably get thrown out into the trash, or alleyways. He kept looking at them all. A filly with yellow fur and pink mane, she was sitting politely. A colt with bright blue fur and a white mane, he was the one desperately dancing, trying to catch his attention. A brown filly with a bland green mane was trying to get up, while a fat colt with light pink fur and mane was on top of her, probably almost breaking her back.

None of them caught his eye. The yellow one came close, with not being so annoying, but he didn’t really like the way she looked. As he kept looking, he saw something out of the corner of his eye. In the top right corner of the box lay a filly fast asleep. She had fiery orange fur, with a bright red mane, and two small wings. She almost looked like she was made of fire… and something about her seemed… appealing.

Jason grabbed the foal gently, and placed her on his hand. She moved a bit in her sleep, then slowly opening her eyes, and groggily looked around, before landing on him.

“Huh…? Whewe is fwuffy? Huu… Wan go back in bawks…” She waddled around on his palms, slightly scared.

“Hey, hey. It’s okay little fluffy, this nice man is looking for a fluffy to make him happy! And I think he chose you!” Lucy walked up, and calmly the filly, the fluffy, leaning into her touch.

“W-weawy? Nice mistuh be nyu d-daddeh…?” She waddled up to his thumb, and rubbed her head against it, as she lightly flapped her wings.

“I want her.” He looked at Lucy. She clapped her hands together and walked back to the front desk, to write out the paperwork for the fluffy, Jason followed, and placed the filly on the desk, the filly smiling while flapping her wings quickly, as if trying to take off from happiness.

“Okay, so I need to preface this by saying the she’s the youngest foal in that lot, and therefore isn’t fully trained as the other foals in the lot. She’ll have to be on all the basic stuff, including litter box training. If that’s too much for you to handle, I suggest picking another one from the lot.” Lucy finished, placing the paper and pen in front of Jason.

“W-wha? Nu wan fwuffy…?” She looked at Jason, her little eyes tearing up. Dammit! It’s working on him.

“…I’ll figure it out.” Jason sighed as he signed the paper. The filly ran around on the counter in happiness, before Lucy grabbed her, and placed her into a carrying box. “Oop! Dawky bawks scawy!” She said, muffled.

After finishing up everything, and getting the things needed to take care of a fluffy pony, free of charge, because of the note, Jason said farewell, and left, getting into his car, and placing the box on the passenger seat, before opening the top. The filly popped her head out, to look around.

“Ooh… Fwuffy am in metal munstah?”

“A car? Uh, yeah, you are.” He turned on the car, and started driving home. The ignition scaring the filly a bit, a small ‘pfft’ noise as she made tiny scaredy poopies, causing him to sigh.

“Hey, do you like, have a name?” He looked at her, as she looked at him.

“Nu… othew fwuffies say fwuffy nu desewbe namsies…” She looked down sad, her once spread wings closing up.

“That’s… rude. How about…” He looked at her, the idea of a fluffy made of fire due to her colors coming back to him.

“Sol.”

“Sow?”

“Yes. Sol.”

“Yay! Sow has nyu namsies! Wub nyu namsies, and wub nyu daddeh!” Sol started flapping her wings again, moving around the slightly cramped box happily, as Jason drove home.

So, I decided to break up the 1st chapter into 2 parts. It felt like it would’ve been too long, since I was already at almost 4 k words, and wasn’t even halfway through. I hope you guys like, and critique is appreciated. Just don’t be a dick. Till next time.

11 Likes

Honestly if you wanna drop 4k word wonders on us, as long as it’s like this, we’re good imo. I love fluffy stories and this one has suitable background and justification behind it. Can’t wait to learn more about the both of them.

3 Likes

I’m annoyed that the so-called doctor doesn’t think fluffies are “actual animals”—anyone with that mindset is a quack, IMO—but otherwise this was amazing. I myself struggle with issues like this, although not to the extent of cutting off all human contact.

2 Likes

I also have troubles with that. I had anxiety issues related to the fear of losing people, which in turn, made me become extremely distant with my family members. Because I ranged from apathetic, to near antagonistic with them. It wasn’t a fun time.

1 Like