ASIB Page 6 Breakdown vs. Final Render (Fluffus)

Finished breakdown in “pencil” vs the final version after detailing, inking, and color render passes.

I added comments from memory to explain some of my decisions.

14 Likes

Wooow, I can’t draw to save my life but sure find this interesting. Thanks again for sharing your process, man

2 Likes

thanks for sharing

2 Likes

So you sketched out the pages in pencil and then made the actual pages of the comic digitally, or is the inked and colored version done in markers/colored pencils?

1 Like

Bookmarked.

1 Like

For chapter two its was mostly digital pencils, but I did one or two pages physically. All inking and color for chapter two was digital except for page 2.

This “pencil” example is digital. Procreate has a nice pencil setting.

Chapter one was all traditional media with markers and ink on top of pencils. I did the first full page (after the cover, so page two) for 2nd chapter in the same way, then switched to digital so I wouldn’t have to lug an increasingly elaborate art kit around.

I do a lot of the comic work on my lunch breaks. Buying an iPad pro and an Apple Pencil simplified the logistics. A lot.

I still wanted to keep the style of the first chapter - I like it - so I’m kind of emulating marker work, but digitally.

1 Like

Oh, okay, that makes more sense. I was about to feel pity for your poor hands for having to press down so hard on the colored pencils to blend them so well, and then feel pity for your wallet for having to spend so much money on markers!
I love traditional art, but a lot of money goes into producing high quality pieces like your first chapter! I have a giant collection of Primacolors that are just languishing away because digital media is just so much simpler to handle (Less space and money spent after the initial investment).
You’re doing a good job copying the marker/pencil combo digitally, I thought you were doing some witchcraft to get the colors so smooth with real pencils and markers.

1 Like

Heh, everything you say is straight up true in my life.

Including being puzzled around some people’s traditional witchcraft-like techniques! Like oil pastel crayons. I have never been able to get any results with them. It loos like childish doodles, all of it. Then I go to to a fine arts museum and there are oil pastel crayon works that look like oil paintings, or photographs! FML.

1 Like

Oh my gosh, I thought it was just me who couldn’t get the hang of oil pastels. It does look like crayons, no matter what I do. I’ve even watched tutorials, and it always looks like something I colored when I was in elementary school. I can’t really get a hold of watercolors either, which makes me sad, because watercolor works are so pretty!

1 Like