Fluffy for Christmas (Dead Fluffy December): Successful Launch Universe Story [By. VampiricFluffy]

Mark, being a single father always did what he could to make Christmas, the best possible for his son Jason. No matter what toy he wanted Mark, made sure that Santa would deliver. With prices and demand for all goods being so high the last few years it was getting harder to keep it up. While his job at a computer parts warehouse made decent money, buying whatever popular gift that was out every Christmas was getting harder and more expensive.

This year seemed as though it would be particularly challenging, as Jason had requested the same gift as millions of other children in the world, a Fluffy of his very own. A newly launched product, the Fluffy, biotoy promised to be both the ideal pet and companion of the young and young at heart. Like every popular Christmas toy, Fluffies were extremely difficult to find in stores, due to the high demand and rampant scalping. Mark hoped that his son would be happy with some fluffy accessories and the promise of one after the holidays, but he still knew that was going to be a disappointing Christmas. It made Mark think back to when he was a kid and his mother just got him a copy of Super Mario World and told him to wait for a Super Nintendo. As grateful as he was, only having a single gift for Christmas, that he could do nothing with, is what made him stop believing in Santa. Mark was not ready for his son to be that disappointed by the world yet.

Salvation came one morning on the news from a young doctor with long dark hair, and horn-rimmed glasses. She was the head designer at Hasbio, and she promised that every child who wanted one would be able to have a Fluffy, for Christmas. Mark was the happiest he could be, once again he would be certain that Jason would have the best Christmas possible.

Just as Malin, the Hasbio Doctor said, a week before Christmas there were Fluffies available at the newly opened Fluffy Marts. Instead of having to settle Mark was able to pick from many available types and colors. He also did not want to get a foal that was still in a can. Mark figured watching a foal grow in a glass container was just as disappointing as not having one right away, so he ended up deciding to get an already weaned Foal. Mark looked at the case where a group of newly weaned foals were playing together. Knowing they could speak he spoke to them. “Hey little Fluffies, I would love if one of you would come with me to be my son’s fluffy”

The Fluffies, in the case upon hearing him, stopped playing and ran up to the glass. They each cried out in their surprisingly cute voices asking to be taken home. The one that immediately stole Mark’s heart was a white unicorn male with a blue mane. “Pwease nice mistah take fwuffy home wiff ‘ou. Fwuffy wiww be dah bestes’ babbeh fo’ 'ou.”

Now fully understanding the appeal of these horse chimeras, Mark asked a worker to get the white foal out of the case for him. Mark held the Fluffy in his hand as the foal cooed and wiggled excitedly. “I think I’ll name you Frosty. You’ll be the best Christmas present that I have ever gotten for my son.”

The fluffy squeaked and rolled in Mark’s hand. “Babbeh wub new name! fwosty am su excited to be chwistmas pwesent!”

Mark got all the supplies the salesperson suggested and purchased the foal. He had read somewhere that newborn Fluffies, could go for weeks with little food so he figured the foal would be fine for a week in the attic before Christmas. Mark got home a few hours before his son got home from school, so he knew he had time to get his present ready and hidden. He went up to the attic with the Fluffy and all his accessories in hand. When in the attic he placed the Fluffy foal down in a decorative Christmas box along with a bowl of foal kibble, a blanket, a small litter pan, and a hamster bottle of water. To his surprise the fluffy immediately started crying. “What’s wrong?” Mark asked the shaking and crying foal.

The Fluffy looked up at Mark, tears streaming down his face “What did fwosty do wwong?”

“You didn’t do anything wrong” Mark answered. He was surprised he had already managed to screw up Fluffy ownership the second he brought the foal home.

“Den why am fwosty in dah sowwy box?” The Foal managed to ask between sobs.

“Sorry box?” Wait, mark thought. He had heard that was a way to punish Fluffies, and did not even realize the foal would have thought he was doing that. “No, I’m not punishing you. You just have to wait here for a little bit. My son can’t see you until Christmas” He stroked Frosty’s back attempting to reassure him.

The Fluffy looked up at Mark, his tears slowing. “Weawwy? am it chiwstmas soon?”

Mark relaxed a bit. “Yes, very soon. You, just have to be a good Fluffy and wait here until then.” He stroked Frosty more making sure he was fully calm.

“Otay’ daddeh fwosty be gud fwuffy. Fwosty am su excited fo’ chwistmas! fwosty am goin’ to be dah bestes’ pwesent ebew!” The foal ran around the small box.

“Good Fluffy, just wait here until Christmas. There is plenty of food and water for you until then. Mark gave Frosty a final few stokes and then placed the top of the box on, with that Mark was satisfied and went down the latter and back into the house.

Frosty excitedly waited in the box occasionally nibbling at the grass flavored kibble and drinking from the hamster bottle. He guessed that any minute now was Christmas, and he would be meeting his new owner very soon. He was so excited he ran around the dark box. After what felt like forever passed, he laid down on the blanket. He gripped the edge of it with his mouth and rolled up in the warm Christmas blanket. It was getting much colder, he could see his breath in front of him as he laid there. He giggled a bit pretending to be a fire breathing dragon.

Frosty had not even realized he had fallen asleep. He woke up with a start, afraid that he had missed Christmas. It was then when he realized how much colder it had gotten. He curled up in the blanket, wishing for the fluff piles that all the foals used to sleep in to keep warm. His throat dry he rolled over to his water bottle still wrapped in the blanket. He suckled on the nozzle expecting to feel the relief of cool water to wash against his throat, but nothing came. He pushed a hoof out from under the blanket and tapped at the water bottle, finding it rock hard, it was frozen solid. “Daddeh fwosty nee’ new wawa!” The foal called out. After a few minutes doing his best to stay warm under the blankets he cried out again “Daddeh pwease fwosty nee’ new wawa! Am it chwistmas nao?”

Frosty curled back up in his blanket, now pulling it over his head no longer being able to stand the cold. Freezing and unable to do much else, Frosty fell asleep again. He woke up again still shivering despite being wrapped in a blanket. It felt as if the cold had sunk into the blankets no longer protecting him from it. He Cried out again “Daddeh hewp it am too cowd fo’ babbeh. Fwosty nee’ wawm huggies an’ wub!” After yelling as loud as he could his throat felt even dryer and rawer. He sucked at the straw of the bottle trying his best to get any water he could, but nothing came. The only thing Frosty could do was lay there, cry, and once again let sleep take him.

Frosty woke up again, his stomach aching more than it ever had and his body feeling unbelievably hot. He threw off the blankets and made his way over to his kibble and ate as much as he could. It was an odd sensation as while he knew he was eating his mouth was so numb he could not feel the kibble in his mouth. Thinking that it was much warmer now he tried to drink from his bottle again, but once again found it frozen. He tried to call out but could not find his voice and only a low wheeze came out. He laid down feeling so hot and thirsty, hoping that Christmas was soon.

It was the night before Christmas and Jason had just gone to bed. He was so excited for Christmas he could barely keep still. His Dad had promised that he had talked to Santa, and he was going to give him the best Fluffy he had. He cuddled his teddy bear knowing that tomorrow it would be a new Fluffy friend instead.

Mark Made his way up to the attic and brought down all of Jason’s presents. He was tempted to peek at the Fluffy, but decided to let him sleep and he did not want the young Foal’s excitement to wake Jason. Mark placed all the gifts under the tree. He took a few bites of the cookies and drank the milk making sure that it was obvious to his son that Santa had been there. He smiled at what looked to be an idealized Christmas and made his way back to bed.

Christmas morning came, Jason had gotten mark out of bed and practically dragged him to the tree. Mark got out his camera and snapped a few phots knowing this would be a Christmas to remember. Jason grabbed the biggest box and pulled off the lid. He let out a happy squeal as he saw the sleeping white foal inside. He grabbed it and pulled it free. The foal, despite being soft and fluffy, was stiff and cold. Jason tried to shake the foal awake, and began to cry the second Mark snapped a picture.

Author’s Note:
I hope you enjoyed another story in the Successful Launch Universe and my submission for Dead Fluffy December. Please check out my other stories if you have not already. Feedback is always appreciated!

22 Likes

The dumb human tag is really fitting.

6 Likes

And pets should not be gifts.

8 Likes

As they say: a pet is for life, not just for Christmas.

8 Likes

Forgot to mention that this story is for @Reddit-Word_H83r’s Dead Fluffy December

2 Likes

I love that despite it being a successful launch, it is far from perfect and abuse and sadbox are just as common as the failed launch

3 Likes

Yes indeed. The product came out sucessfully, but people are still people. The only real diffrence is that fluffies are rarer and more expensive at the moment.

1 Like

Haha i saw the ending coming a mile away, and loved every second of it. I know this is cynical, but when you can tell someone wants to do bare minimum when it comes to preparing something, and then watch everything fall apart when it inevitably does lol

2 Likes

Yeah the ending was obvious lol. This story was practically Clark Griswold buys a fluffy, so it is more about the journey then the destination. Glad you enjoyed it.

2 Likes

c4a

2 Likes

oh i’m so using this quote

2 Likes

It’s from Chrono Trigger, if you don’t know. Damn good game, also has an excellent fanmade musical.

2 Likes

Just to point out, i meant the dad in the story did the bare minimum, just incase that could be taken the wrong way. The story itself was enjoyable

1 Like

Don’t worry I understood what you meant.

1 Like