Genetics are a real bummer (ESF)

I don’t know about all art being philosophical. Philosophy is a structured and reason based pursuit of knowledge. I mean like Frege, Gödel or Russell philosophy, not the self help, life coach use of the word.

2 Likes

I’m not trying to disprove your point, but personally, I don’t draw with any purpose in mind. Is it subconscious?

2 Likes

Sure is. Two helpful quotes:

““good artists copy, great artists steal”” - Pablo Picasso

" Every artist is a cannibal/every poet is a thief/all kill for inspiration/and then sing about the grief." - Bono

2 Likes

wait, how does it relates to the current conversation?

2 Likes

So I’m subconsciously cannibalizing other peoples work to make mine? Makes sense.

2 Likes

Oh look, it’s my dad

4 Likes

That answers a few questions

3 Likes

@Fluffus Speaking as somebody who studied the subject, I’d say that philosophy is both, that it can be both a structured and reason based pursuit of knowledge, as well as an advisory on how one should live Life. Socrates, considered the father of philosophy and was famous for the Socratic method, also believed that “the unexamined life is not worth living”.. In that sense, philosophy is both life coach and the pursuit of knowledge: one informs the other, and vice-versa.

I do agree that analytical philosophy is more structured and based in analyzing language and making use of technical terms, especially Math. (After all, Bertrand Russell did write a book that famously proved, once and for all, that 1+1 =2 ) But I also think that a pursuit of knowledge can apply to many fields, especially art. I mentioned before on this site about my familiarity with Nietzsche, and Nietzsche had his own ideals about how one should lead his or her lives, , with this approach being based on how he understood the shifting changes in how society viewed morality.

So, lets take the two statements you made, which are political in nature (if we consider politics by its broad definition of the exercise, gain and demonstration of power). I’d argue that someone like Nietzsche would argue that a great artist would steal because he or she is making his or her own rules. History has its share of people who have taken ideas from their forebears, some through inspiration, others through theft, to produce their own unique works. By both definitions of philosophy you outline, I’d say they apply as a great artist would seek to benefit himself from learning from past artists or, in some cases, imitating them in an advantageous manner.

1 Like

Yeah the philosophy of your work is invisible to you unless you philosophize on purpose. This is normal; we are altered more by the Discourses we participate in more than we alter them. I’ll analyze your gallery later, if you’d like.

1 Like

Let me start by saying I’m here to draw fluffies.

What I think you are calling “my statements” are two qoutes from two separate artists. It was also in response to a different question by a different poster.

Let’s ditch this whole discussion. You guys can call whatever you want controversial.

Have fun drawing and painting and writing everyone.

3 Likes

Time to fuck up the blue bastard.

I didn’t expect this kind of domestic violence in fluffy pictures.

oh god too real retreat-