I Suck At Writing

Do you ever lose interest while in the middle of writing, i do, i can’t even start a story, i don’t know what words to use and i don’t know what direction my story is gonna go in, and i just end up
deleting it, can you please give me advice on what to do?

8 Likes

No.

Writing is a deeply personal talent.

The mechanical aspects of language can only be taught at a basic level in school. After that it takes years of writing to find one’s own voice and manner to convey themes and ideas. It’s a constant process that only the writer can perceive.

It’s said that one way to write is to read and adapt another author’s way of writing to your own ends. I disagree with this statement. That just distills your own essence and puts it in a jar that someone else made.

In short, pick yourself up and try again. As many times as it takes.

8 Likes

Take a break and don’t try and force it.
Have something with you at all times to take little notations.
If you don’t know where your story is going, then look at the main character and what their primary goal/issue is. While not necessary, a story should have an overarching theme that fits with the main character.
My biggest piece of advice is to have fun when you write. If it starts to feel like a chore, then your writing will not only suffer but it’ll defeat the whole purpose.

2 Likes

I have to agree with Karn; Forcing yourself to write is never a good thing to do. Sometimes you need to take a step back and look at the story as a whole and figure out what it needs after a time. Take a step back, try to arrange the story in your mind and then put it to word. If you feel burnt out, relax and try again later, there is never any rush or deadline on a hobby after all.

If you feel the story needs another’s point of view to fine tune and refine it before being released to the public, ask if anyone will privately look over it for you!

Never give up and keep trying, listen to the critiques of those around you and take the good to heart and ignore the jibes of the trolls. If you give up, you will never get any better. Keep trying.

1 Like

Just keep writing.
That’s all.

If things feel like a chore or if you are stuck take a break and come back at a later time, maybe ask somebody to be your proof reader .

But if you just stop writing you wil never get better at it, so just keep writing.

I was gonna say that, but you beat me to it.

So my advice is that you shouldn’t be afraid to take a short break from writing. It’s not like you’ve got a deadline to worry about, right?

Inspiration is a fickle mistress. She never shows up when you invite her, but the moment you give up on her, there she is. Try not to stress out over it. Stress is poison to creativity. Remember: there is nothing obligating you to write. There’s no time limit, no editor breathing down your neck, no real consequences for not putting a story out by date X. There’s no need to rush things.

If all else fails, you could turn to that muse of artists across the ages: intoxication! I’m never not stoned when I write, which explains a lot, doesn’t it?

But that option isn’t for everyone, I get that. Everyone’s got their own way to do things.

I have so many stories id like to write, many so many but my writing skills are shit compared to my shitty drawings. I have 2 that are done but they just run on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and no and no adn non and on and …

1 Like

There are two main ways of improving your writing

1: More writing

2: More reading

These are in no particular order.

2 Likes

don’t delete keep writing then here is the magic rewrite and make fixes

1 Like

Take a break from the story, and have somebody give it a read. Discuss what you’ve written. Some times stepping away and having a conversation can help you come up with new ideas.

I’m always happy to give feedback on stories.

1 Like

Try writing it in your head. Tell yourself the story, over and over again. Play with it. Have fun with it. You’ll end up with anything from a skeleton/outline you can build on to an almost complete story you can just vomit onto the page.

Personally I like to work on two stories at once,and cycle back and forth when I get bored/stuck on one. You don’t have to write in order,write a scene,a character description,a setting,whatever it is. Piece your story together like a puzzle if you have to,and fill in those gaps once you’ve got a general idea.
Sometimes I don’t know where my stories are going to go. It’s part of the process.

1 Like

This is one of the first fluffies I’ve ever drawn

here

If I stopped drawing back then I wouldn’t have improved, so keep going!

I ain’t no Da Vinci yet xD but I’m much more happy with my style nowadays

Sometimes I trash drawings I’ve spend 1h or more on it simply because I think it’s meh! It happens sometimes, but don’t let that stop ya

5 Likes