Interest check for a story

Howdy, I’ve been lurking among the community for a while now and I’ve been considering throwing my odd hat into the ring with a little story I’ve been concocting. Due however to a rapidly increasing schedule, I will likely have to set some time aside to put the story out on what I can best shoot for being a “regular basis”. Below will be a summary of the setting and story as well as a poll to judge to gauge interest in this type of story.

Essentially, it would be something like a cross between the Hunger Games and Jurassic park with a bit of The Truman show;

The world itself plays out much like the typical cannon: Fluffies are created, they are released before fine tuning can occur along along with the event of groups freeing the creatures and thus shenanigans abound. This is where my head canon and bleak view of the future comes into play.

Fluffies, after having been released and spreading around much of the world, have caused a widespread mass decimation of many of the typical animals we take for granted today via an unforeseen bacterial infection mutating out of the feces and corpses of death Fluffies mixed with the right environment. Domesticated animal numbers are absolutely decimated by the sickness, with humans worrying it might one day spread to them. Roughly five years since the outbreak, a cure is found, mass produced and shipped to where the sickness, dubbed “Fluff Rot”, is now nowhere near as dangerous as before.

The damage however has been done; Domesticated livestock numbers have dwindled to frightening levels across the globe, entire species of cats and dogs and other animals have either dwindled to the point of endangerment or have been wiped out as a whole. Other animals have had little to no fear of the sickness, such as avians and reptiles, as they appeared to be immune to its ravages.

The story takes place roughly twenty-thirty or so years after the final days of the outbreak: The world is getting back on its feet, accepting the fact that they have to live alongside the same creatures that wiped out so many others, as fluffies have provided a source of both nourishment and a means of entertainment/companionship, until recently. Through the modern wonders of genetic manipulation, cryogenics and cloning, a genetics firm has begun reconstructing and returning to the planet some of the species wiped out by the virus, almost like a Noah’s ark Time Capsule.

The firm and numerous other genetic and cryogenic facilities, at the dawn of the outbreak, feverishly worked to save as many species as they could and waited until the sickness was either eliminated or reduced in threat before trying to return the lost species back to the planet. Things are going smoothly, but where there was once a sense of begrudging acceptance towards the biotoys, with the promise of a return to partial normality prior to the outbreak, now a deep resentment and outright hatred for the creatures have begun to blossom. While there are still people who keep and love fluffies, most view them as vermin in need of extermination lest the outbreak possibly repeat itself.

Again, the genetics firm is happy to step in and not only aid in the extermination of unwanted Fluffies, but to do so in a manner that will not deprive good, honest hard working exterminators their jobs. The answer the Firm has come up with is the creation of new species of creatures designed with not only the purpose to hunt down and destroy fluffies, but provide that lost sense of companionship and love that domestic dogs and cats once filled. They’ve also been experimenting with introducing new creatures into the wild that will not act as invasive species, but instead simply target and eradicate the local fluffy populations where humans are unable to readily access.

The Setting out of the way, the story would be from the perspective of various fluffies who awaken in a lush and vibrant, albeit artificially so, land filled with the “Prototypes” of these creatures. The fluffies are sent in Hunger Games style, their short term memories largely blanked but their personalities intact. We’d follow a newly deployed Herd as another fluffy emerges from the forested area around the deployment zone and urgently tries to re-enter the way the Herd was deposited. This fluffy is one of the few survivors of previous groups and has desperately been trying to find a way out. From there it would be a tale of harrowing survival, harshly learned lessons with even a few twists and turns as the herd tries its best to survive not only the genetically engineered creatures designed to hunt and kill them, but the environment itself as well as what seems to be the actions of both malevolent and benevolent observers.

Who would be interested in seeing the tales of survival that will come from “The Enclosure”?

Yay or Nay
  • Yay
  • Nay

0 voters

Thank you for your time. Apologies in advance for any sort of spelling or grammatical mistakes, I’m currently away from the computer and am putting this up via mobile and whilst in a bit of a rush.

8 Likes

Sounds like a solid idea.

3 Likes

sounds like an incredible plot. but you need to know that written content is never going to be as popular as art content of any kind in this community. so it’s important to temper your expectations and not to hope for too much. create it for the purpose of creating it.

5 Likes

Thank you. I’m still working out the kinks fleshing out the first set of creatures the fluffies will encounter, how they view the world as opposed to the Fluffies and their omnipotent watchers. It’s has been quite fun though. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

3 Likes

Thank you for the information. And you are very right, I’d be throwing this out into the ether more as a fun little story to jot down between my others when I need to tackle something radically different.

Trying to view the world through the eyes of the fluffies of the story as well as how they experience things is going to be something I’m used to as fluffies are not the brightest bulbs in the box, nor have many of them exposed to the Enclosure been exposed to such freedom, hardships or even extreme pain in some circumstances.

Still I value the feedback and information, thank you again and I hope you like the story once it comes out.!

3 Likes