Larry's day - by [A-S]

Larry was super excited about going back home from daycare. He just loved to get to his nice housie and give his human mummah and daddeh the BIGGEST huggies he could muster. Being a foal, the young purple pegasus was not yet able to fully wrap his forehooves around their leggies, but he was sure he’d eventually manage to hug them both when he would finally grow into a big and strong fluffy!

After the hugs, he’d tell them all the cool stuff he did back at the daycare! He’d talk about the “gud babbehs” lesson, the “numbah babbehs” one (he was still trying to wrap his tiny head about the number that came after ‘three’, it was really hard after all!) before moving onto the playing and drawing activities. There was just soooo many things to do at the nursery, he barely had time to be sad his human parents weren’t there
before something new and exciting would pop out, distracting him completely!

The only part he actively disliked about the daily routine was the scary metal monster that would take him and his mummah around the “sitee”. Sure, he’d made bad scaredy peepees the first times, but he had quickly adapted: he still had to do the trip with his eyes shut, but his mummah had told him that she was proud of him anyway!

Yet, despite how good every part of his day was, there was one in particular he liked juuuust a tiny bit more than the others, although they were all good too! The very bestest part of the day would come after dinner, but before sleepy time. He would get to talk and hug with his fluffy mummah!

Well, he’d be the one to always do the talking and the hugging, but he knew he could provide enough love for the both of them.

After being given good upsies by his daddeh and being placed onto the “cubbohd”, he would always waddle over to her and drink her beauty in with greedy eyes. She looked a lot like him, with soft fluff a slightly darker shade than his and a long, silky dark blue mane and a matching tail (his hadn’t come in yet, but he hoped they would be just like hers!). The only difference between the two, size aside, was the presence of a horn on her forehead.

Larry gingerly begun recounting his daily affairs, like he always did, blissfully unaware of the human couple whispering to each other just a few metres away from him.

Arthur, do you ever think that we’ve made a mistake?”

"Sometimes I do, Martha. But then, I see just how happy he is, thinking he can at least talk to the mother he never knew. And I know for a fact that she’d be damn proud of him."

As they talked, the foal kept happily babbling away at the framed photograph of their recently deceased Alicorn, Serenade. The young mare had died from childbirth complications after bringing a single foal to life: Larry. Once he had begun asking where his real mother was, the couple had felt unable to simply dismiss her existance but, to ease his pain, as that much grief could lead fragile, young foals to depression, they told him about skettiland, a happy place where very good fluffies went after taking the longest sleepies. In addition, they had told Larry that, although she couldn’t answer him, his mummah could still hear what he said through her picture on the living room cupboard. There had been tears at first, but eventually the foal had settled into this new routine with genuine happiness at being able to at least talk to his mummah while she played and had fun in the afterlife, just like he was doing in that moment.

"An’ den Lawwy pway huggie-tag wiff Gee’gee, den hewp Fwash dwaw a pik-tah of Mistah Jake, an’ den pway pushies wiff Spike, an’, an’, LAWWY AWMOS’ WIN! Spike am suuuuuuu big, an suuuuuuu stwong! An’ den fwuffies pway…"

Martha hugged her husband tightly, as a tear rolled down her cheek. Despite the pain of Serenade’s recent loss, she couldn’t help but weakly smile, as she basked in the pure, unconditional love and raw energy the small foal displayed.

“You know what Arthur? I believe you may be quite right…”

As it might be obvious, this is my little story for @Reddit-Word_H83r’s Dead Fluffy December.

I am not sure if this can be actually labeled hugbox, but I hope it came close enough to count as such, if only so I can say “Har har, here’s your hugbox DFD story, you dang robot!”

Just kidding, thanks for giving me a slight push to write something, H83r.

14 Likes

I like it. Nice, simple, understandable. Larry’s innocence and naivety are perfect.

2 Likes

Ye I agree with Chika. The writing is direct and achieves its intent. Just has a few typos but the important part was getting ideas down and structured. Good job!

1 Like

I like this. Very somber.

1 Like

Oh do point them out! Four eyes are better than two, after all!

I always try to proofread, but something inevitably slips through the cracks.

Yeah, I tried to play it off as Larry being a foal (and as such really impressionable), that he wouldn’t even doubt the whole talking through the photo thing, especially when coupled with how innately naive fluffies are by default.

Before something new and exciting would pop out.

Not sure what “tony” is supposed to be here.

1 Like

Thanks man, fixed them up!

Also the Tony one made me laugh, I meant to say tiny!

Goddamn, this is so deliciously bittersweet. I like Larry, I hope we see him again.

2 Likes

Why thank you! Maybe we will see him again…

2 Likes

Mind if I give him a cameo? Or Serenade? She’s dead, yeah, but you know that’s not much of an obstacle for me.

1 Like

Why of course! Glad you liked 'em so much!

1 Like