Before The Storm - Part 2: The Hellish Herd Ch. 3 [By BFM101]

Dese am nu da enfies yu am wookin’ fow.

2 Likes

For fluffy fiction most enfies aren’t what the recipient was looking for.

3 Likes

Has Crowley’s herd never seen alicorns before? I would think that Crowley or the previous leader would have instilled that rule into the here via fear of the hurtie tree. Though it’s somewhat also Crowley’s consequence for choosing to not give a fuck about what Coral was doing at the time. He wouldn’t have known without Maggie spilling the beans.

Given Crassus’ explanation to Travis about his toke as advisor, it kind of sounds like Crowley and Crassus believe that Crow will need extra advice when he becomes smarty… if he survives that long anyway. After all Crow could start a more rebellious streak like his father did at some point still. If the alicorn had survived, I wonder if Crowley could have changed his plan for his successor once he acknowledged alicorn intelligence.

1 Like

The herd has seen Alicorns before, Crassus being one of them - the only one in the herd - and even then a lot of Fluffies still look at him funny. If not for, funnily enough, Crowley recognising his worth Crassus might have been run off.

You’re right that Crowley should’ve paid more attention to Coral, but Crowley is still in a bad place following Scorch’s death and Coral truly believed in her Bestesh Mummah Bullshit, she killed the Alicorn purely for her ego, so she wouldn’t be the mother with the monster baby.

Had it lived, Crow still would’ve been in line for the next Smarty since he is the eldest living son of Crowley, maybe Crowley would’ve trained the Alicorn to succeed Crow one day, maybe he’d have Crassus take him and train him alongside Travis, we’ll never know

1 Like

Ah right, just remembered that somewhere it’s mentioned that Crassus is actually an alicorn. In that case, hopefully Travis is capable of gaining a similar intellect in comparison given that alicorns tend to be much smarter than the usual breeds. Not getting driven off due to Crowley’s interference is a smart call on his part.

Since Crowley’s aftermath from Scorch’s death isn’t exactly detailed yet, I think it was somewhat unclear that he was still in such a bad headspace from the commentary provided in this chapter. Still not being over Scorch’s death is understandable, though it came more off as Crowley being fed up with Coral being in bestest mummah mode for so long that he just didn’t care about her or his own children at that point. Crowley killing Coral’s bestest in front of her appeared to be a mix of inflicting psychological pain to her before adding in the physical pain from the hurtie tree along with wanting to rid the child with a physical resemblance to Coral as he wanted her gone. Good to see that Crowley still had some sense to preserve the two middle children for now.

Coral killing the alicorn out of ego rather than fear is slightly surprising. Guessing that she did have a slight level of intelligence above some of the other mares in the herd before her pregnancy, which could’ve caught Crowley’s attention at some point.

A shame that we’ll never know what the alicorn could’ve done to shake up the herd dynamic. Though I’m sure Crow would’ve gotten jealous at some point and do something stupid and regretful.

2 Likes

Crowley is such a good character. He’s an awful horrible fluffy that you wish you could kick but you still understand what he’s doing and why. I’m loving this so far.

1 Like