Feral fluffy colours?

First post here, been lurking for awhile.

A common trend among feral fluffies is that “Poopies” have higher survivability thanks to their darker colours being harder to see, but would it not be the opposite? Brighter colours are easier to see but wouldn’t they ward off predators considering in nature bright colours often equal poisonous, like in frogs?

4 Likes

Depends on the primary predators. Remember that canines have terrible color vision and cats aren’t much better. Birds and reptiles might avoid them until they realize that hey, these stupid loud things are easy prey. I’m of the opinion that ferals far away from society tend towards dull natural colors, with advanced herds using the brightly colored stupid ones as bait to lure away unwanted predators.

3 Likes

Well explained, thank you

1 Like

I think you also have to consider fluffies themselves. Fluffies typically want “pwetty” special friends,with pretty colors,to make pretty babies. So even if being colorful might be a detriment to your camouflage,it can help a fluffy find a mate. Much like how tropical birds are colorful!

3 Likes

That doesn’t really relate to what I was asking😅

2 Likes

Oh,I thought you were asking about the spread of fluffy feral colors in general. Like why fluffies would be colorful despite earthen/neutral tones being more beneficial to a feral’s survival. Sorry :sweat_smile:

But to answer your primary question about fluffies using bright colors to ward off animals,it probably wouldn’t really work for a fluffy, because if,for example,a fox were to eat a pink fluffy and not get sick,why would it associate pink fluffies with poison? Usually bright colors don’t work as a warning unless the animal actually is poisonous/makes the predator sick somehow,or the animal is mimicking an animal that would make the predator sick if it were to eat them,making it more trouble than it’s worth for the predator to try to discern the “real” poisonous predator from the mimic.

2 Likes

Ah, I didn’t think of it like that. Tbh I just assumed predators see bright colours and think “No thanks, I choose life” Lmao, but it makes sense that they wouldn’t really know till they took a bite.

2 Likes

Maybe the taste of fluffies would be so bad that the flavor itself could act as a deterrent? Haha.
I know you said you’ve been lurking for a while,but thanks for joining us,and welcome to the community :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Considering how much shite the little cunts hold that wouldn’t shock me lol.

Much appreciated! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d note feral animals might not care. Pet toys can be bright and happy too. Big thing is what they associate the colors with. Food and toys? Or a hazard?

Also, during fall and winter the bright colors will be effectively anti-camoflauge. So one hard winter feeding on fluffies should cement them as a food source.

Id argue that smell might be more important anyhow.

3 Likes

And sound, most creators don’t portray them as particularly quiet

True, but I think the sound would be human -like and thus off-putting for some predators. At least the adults. The chirpies and foals? No issue. Birds of prey would likely LOVE them.

I think at first animals might have avoided them for a multitude of reasons, and only with time do they get used to how fluffies are easy prey.

There was a contest a while back about going back to when fluffies were first released, and I had an idea for a story where an oblivious fluffy tries to make friends with a fox, freaking it out because here is this weird thing that looks extremely poisonous, smells like plastic and human pollution, makes constant human-like noises, and actively chases it. While I never ended up writing it, I figure that’d be a common reaction at first, until the animals started realizing fluffies are perfectly safe and tasty. And once they begin to seek out the human-like noises and bright colors for an easy snack, suddenly being brown and quiet is way safer.

1 Like

In nature, the greatest chances of survival are those fluffy who know how to shut their mouths in the forest and emerge in something that will hide their natural, fruity-musky smell of fur.
Colors in my opinion is irrelevant.

1 Like

I mean, fluffies are full of shit, no matter how you look at it

2 Likes

Like fluffies rolling around in mud to hide their scent and colors? That’s a novel idea.

1 Like

I think it’s generally agreed that fluffies are delicious to pretty much everything.