Ferals Development

So, I wanted to ask about feral fluffies coz I’ve read some comics about different forms of herds. Do fluffies learn from their mistakes? I mean, the wild ones that decide to live in forests and make a home? Do they learn from the mistakes of the ones before them? Do they learn from the stupid deaths and experience? Do ferals in the wild develop more durability? I mean, evolution is a thing but it would take generations upon generations for them to develop adaptations in the wild. So, say we have a fluffy herd that survived for 100 years. Do you think they will develop adaptations to survive in the wild? Or do these herds often die out in winter coz they don’t have natural survival instincts? I know they were programmed to be reliant on humans. I just thought they could develop survival instincts over generations.

3 Likes

The only truly concrete theory is that in the wild fluffies with “bad” colors survive better due to having a natural camouflage. Everything else is up to your interpretation

4 Likes

It’s all based on the content creator but I do like using fluffies that live long enough to learn from their mistakes becoming smarter but more jaded.

As for a herd surviving a 100 years, I don’t really see the majority being able to adapt fast enough, but a few here and there might.

3 Likes

So bad colours develop better survival instincts unlike the pretty colour fluffies?

I’ve always held that fluffies are creatures capable of learning and with free will. I also am interested in oral traditions. What stories do feral herds pass down? What do they teach their foals?

1 Like

I’ve always seen Fluffy herds as more of a flash in the pan type situation more than anything long-term. You’ll get a group of Fluffies that band together and if they’re lucky, they’ll hold on for 2 or 3 generations until starvation, weather, predators, other Fluffies or just plain bad luck wipes most of them out and the survivors scatter to either find a new herd, starting the process over again, or to run into their own bad luck further down the line.

I do believe that some Fluffies can learn from their mistakes and gain some form of understanding of the world around them, even in the scenario I mentioned there’s a chance for a single Fluffy to outlive several herds. However the smarter Fluffies are almost always drowned out by the loud idiots, the Smarties talking about how Smart they are, and since Fluffies don’t know any better, they’ll trust and follow the loud one, often to their doom.

2 Likes

not quite
/1) they are harder to be spoted by predators
2) they are more likely to stay quiet due to bullying they received from pretty colored ones.
i wouldn’t call it natural instincts. it just so happens that the way they are nurtured gives them an advantage

1 Like

bad colours are just natural colors so generally just work better for camoflage. now for how long a herd lives would depend entirely on there leader, id have alot more faith in a toughie who has been a feral since birth over a smarty anyday, you could even make the argument that if you are born feral and have had to fight to survive from birth you are a “toughie” anyway. however say you are born a feral and have lived a couple years you would not be very attractive as far as how you would expect a fluffy to look and act, alot of scars and a short temperment for herd members who refused to follow. and would have a select group of his strongest fluffs to lead and help teach.

as far as how they would look i love this imagine for carniviousduck

What about the neon colors? Neon colors are dangerous, they warn everything that this shit is poisonous. Maybe…

Anything resembling common sense goes out the window with fluffies. Doesn’t matter if it’s worth humans or animals. And I’d argue that neon colors are desirable for pet chew toys.

2 Likes

Stop asking for canon. There is no definitive canon. You read some comics? Great, now you know what a handful of comic creators do with their feral fluffy herds.

Go write a story yourself now.

2 Likes

I’d imagine due to the massive number of fluffies out there, simply by the law of averages, some would be smarter than average and some would be lucky enough to survive and learn. Unless they’re exceptionally lucky and somehow find an environment free of predators both human and animal that is survivable and has everything they need, I highly doubt any herd could survive a century. And even if such an environment did exist, how long can it last given how everything is gradually collapsing due to climate change and resource depletion?

Fluffies are basically extreme r strategists, that being, massively quantity over quality. Even with bad odds, if you roll the dice enough times, you’ll eventually get some victories. Due to that and their chimeric DNA, I would imagine they’d evolve much faster than most other species. Effects might be better camouflage, higher intelligence, the capability to work as a team to hide and evade predators. Perhaps even language development and further acquisition. Sadly, I haven’t seen as many stories with these themes as I’d like.

Fluffies are essentially very early prototypes and proofs of concept that hit the public way earlier than they should have. Hasbio’s plan was always to maintain tight control over them and never let the public have fertile fluffies. Due to that, they’re far more flawed and unstable, but mutations can be beneficial, too. What would be helpful for a fluffy herd trying to survive?

There was one story I read years ago about a group of fluffies that managed to work together to kill a human. It caused massive butthurt, predictably, but I think that was the author’s goal. He would constantly insert his right-wing political views and got really shitty and self-righteous whenever anyone expressed annoyance at that.

and it depends a lot on the headcanon, but if the absurd number of fluffys there are, if there are some that their smarty dies and is taken by a smarty friend, there it is possible that they continue to develop hopefully (depending on the headcanon) living in ghost towns . (although personally in my headcanon the fluffys do learn and by running out of food seekers a smarty uses the bad colors and ends up realizing that those are the best seekers and the bad colors become mini rambos hardened in hiding and escape over time by being the first to eat will someone take smarty’s place)