Fluffy Jobs #12: Inspector Fluff (by Chikahiro)

I bet sniffer fluffies are also a lot cheaper to train than sniffer dogs. Although results may vary when it comes to attention span, especially if sketties are nearby.

6 Likes

Truthfully I’d have no idea. I think the difference in capabilities would be one thing, but also that sniffer dogs would have a LOT more laws to follow regarding their care and protection. That said, I’d expect a good sniffing fluffy would sell for a lot and be well treated/protected.

The “fluffies have no value” argument isn’t really valid once you have an investment in the fluff plus expect an ROI needed. That fluffy is now valuable, and you can measure that value in terms of ROI, losses in productivity due to injury, sickness, death, etc. Likewise, you can also measure improvements in productivity from good/continuing training, fair treatment, etc.

8 Likes

I could see other uses for this - depending on how sensitive fluffy noses are, they could sense whether someone is about to have a seizure, whether their blood sugar is out of whack, etc. I can also see criminals using spaghetti smells to throw fluffies off the scent.

5 Likes

I love it! That fluffy clearly does not like what he’s been trained to sniff for, but it’s better than being unemployed.

5 Likes

IIRC they’ve got training to help dogs from getting thrown off. I’d imagine they’d do similar for these fluffies. And frankly, I think inspectors would get wise to that as well.

Smell and blood sugar? That’s a new one. I know there’s testing regarding dogs and certain things like cancer. I didn’t quite want to go that far with this simply because I don’t know which is supposed to be more keen: a dog’s nose or a fluffy’s.

5 Likes

You both make very compelling arguments, @Chikahiro & @FluffiesAreFood
I didn’t think of either of those things. Great ideas. :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Well, it does its job, makes the humans happy, gets taken care of, and does something important. I think the job satisfaction is there as is the compensation.

Once I got called in: some lady’s house had the county’s sewage system back up, flooding her entire first floor in it. We started working at sun-down during the winter, and worked until sun-rise. Not the most pleasant work, but very necessary.

5 Likes

I mean who doesn’t like the muppets?

3 Likes

True! But its one of those things where my style isn’t as consistent as the other “breeds,” and I think they’re sort of goofier looking compared to the others. If anything, I’d like to think its more the temperment that makes them noteworthy.

Big snoot, not very fluffy at all (more like a shorthair cat), could jokingly be called Type 1.5. shrugs But they’re easy to draw, and I value speed between idea and finish…

4 Likes

I just love this series so much. The best thing about the inspector fluff that it would have over a dog is the ability to describe smells and such so humans could make better decisions. Such a good fluffy :heart:.

5 Likes

Aughh roaches!!! Arghhh!!! :grimacing:

Heck they might even detected micro infestation on walls too or hidden fluffy herds and alert the inspector.

4 Likes

Yep. Whether micros can infest houses is up to head-canon as always. I do wonder if they get tired as quickly as normal fluffies. That would limit their range quite a bit.

3 Likes

Unless they always given good exercise and maintain their training regime.

3 Likes

Nice! That fluffy deserves biggest huggies for doing such a good work! :blush:

4 Likes

Is good stories, too.

2 Likes

Yep! If you’re reading this, you should go read Policefluffs!

3 Likes

I’m just wondering what it found that smells so bad! :stuck_out_tongue:

"Yu hab micwos waiding yu cheese. An’ aww dey been eatin’ iz wimburger.

2 Likes

Just imagining these fluffs having little mining helmets while trying pinpoint particular smells fills me with joy. Hopefully a much happier outcome then @infraredturbine 's little spelunker.

5 Likes

This is such a neat idea! Personally I think that a fluffy would be more expensive than a dog for one big reason- communication. A fluffy can be trained on multiple “smells”, so they could discern between different creatures or substances and say which one it is, and perhaps the most sensitive and well trained could give additional details. “Dis vewy old, thewe was miwdew fiwst den bwack mowd” kind of information

3 Likes

Yeah. Whether a fluffy has a significantly better or worse sense of smell isn’t super relevant in that case. That said, I’d think any place that’d want one inspector would need several. Allergies, cold/flu season, etc.

1 Like