Gator Bait (TG_89)

I belive it was a slave era slur, ive heard it a couple of times where im at might be a regional thing

2 Likes

10/10 fantastic story and fantastic art

3 Likes

You’re boxing and framing and great and you have a sense of lines of action. Your already in the top 10% here

3 Likes

Incredible perspective angle!! The level of detail you put in this is so awesome!!

The only critique I can think of for this piece is that alligators have five toes on their front feet and the lower jaw could probably be a little lower so that it doesn’t look too far back compared to the upper jaw, and angled towards the right to line up with the upper jaw.

Other than that, this looks absolutely amazing! Bootsy looks so terrified and the water splashes are great!! I seriously love the movement of the water so much!! You’ve done so good! :sparkling_heart: :sparkling_heart: :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

This is the kind of actionable feedback I’ve been looking for, thanks for taking the time to write it out for me

(although of course I appreciate all the very nice things people have said :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

I love the angle, not something i see very often.

Kind of looks like a movie poster

3 Likes

Sir! Baiting gators is illegal in the state of Mississippi! I’m gonna need to see your license!

1 Like

Oh no.

Anyway…

2 Likes

Ya don’t say?

Fluffy water skiing haha

3 Likes

It’s a real slur aimed towards black people, traditionally towards black children. Black kids were fed to alligators as literal alligator bait. It’s used to dehumanize black people and call them disposable. I’m gonna chalk this up to foot-in-mouth syndrome, but you personally not hearing a slur does not mean that it was “made up by some histrionic civil rights group to drum up sympathy.” There are a ton of slurs that don’t get used everywhere.

1 Like

Just wanna add that there are a LOT of slurs that have fallen out of common usage so it’s not surprising you’ve never heard it. There were a ton that I found out about when I took an african american studies course :skull::skull::skull: slurs can be some pretty crazy shit

1 Like

The idea that slaves were regularly fed to alligators for sport seems like a wild claim considering slaves were worth more money alive. Much like widespread mandingo fights and the recent “buck breaking” myth.

There are plenty of made up things today for shock value that end up watering down the historical truth of the matter. When people go around promoting fake stories it ends up like crying wolf and making the general public grow apathetic towards real historical injustices.

My initial reply was to the indirect assertion that TG was intentionally using it as if some archaic slur should be common knowledge to everyone in the the western hemisphere.

I looked it up. The action continued after slavery ended. Additionally gators were considered pests, and some children were unable to work for whatever reason, including cognitive or physical disabilities. This also applied to babies.

Remember, slaveowners deliberately bred humans in order to get stronger workers. An unapproved child could be taken away and murdered.

History is darker than most people will ever know. We’re a hell of a fucked up species, especially towards each other. I could go into detail, but you really don’t want that.

2 Likes

One thing is for certain: Humans are awful.

So I propose we discuss fluffies instead.

4 Likes

Sounds good to me.

3 Likes

I think everybody here knew they weren’t using it intentionally though. Nobody in the comments implied it was purposeful, just an unfortunate mistake. A lot of slave owners would do things that were very cruel even if they didn’t make sense from a value-based standpoint. Cruelty was the intention. When you view a group of people as property every action against that group is “justified.” Aside from that, it happened after slavery too. Black people were killed for fun so i don’t think it’s a stretch that they were fed alive to animals.

1 Like

Anyway i won’t reply about this anymore bc it’s off topic of the post and i don’t wanna spam the comments anymore (sorry op)

2 Likes