I Need A Vacation, by Swindle

He does, actually. We even see Bill at the vet in Fluffy Hospital 2.

Vets who put animals to sleep all week still go home to pets they love at home.

3 Likes

But wouldn’t Sunshine notice the stench of fluffy death?

That actually gets addressed in the stories, yes. Bill always cleans up before going in the house for that reason.

I like your name, by the way.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed both your technical accuracy with regard to the firearm and the way you told it as a natural part of the story.

The descriptions of his feelings of of PTSD induced induced stress were also very accurate. And very compelling.

1 Like

I will offer myself as a counterpoint. I do not in any way enjoy hunting or fishing or killing any kind of animal.

BUT, I also really really do not like pets and the vast majority of domesticated or wild animals in general. They bother and annoy me on a very fundamental primal level.

I do however know a few fellows out here who hunt quite regularly regularly but also love their own pets very dearly. Human beings are complex creatures. We would probably all be better off if we tried to see that especially in the people we don’t like or care for.

3 Likes

Thing is, do they hunt the same kind of animal as their pets’?

That’s what bothers me.

I love cats. If someone ever came to me and seriously proposed “hey, let’s go shoot some strays. It’s fine, they needed to die anyway, at least we do it quickly”, I’d probably deck them.

But, I’ve gone fishing a few times in my life. I never took more than what me and my family was going to eat. Besides, when fishing the fish has a chance to get away, I am not going to dive in and shoot it.

The exterminator literally shot fish in a barrel. Another part that irks me, like hunters hiding in shacks, laying nets and caged birds to lure other ones into the nets. They aren’t even doing anything to deserve the spoils.

Moreover, he says he hates doing this, find another job?.

I am not hoping to change anyone’s mind, but with these facts I doubt I will change mine either.

Holy shit that’s some good writing.

2 Likes

The conflict is what drives the story. If it were just Bill working in an office and coming home to feed his fluffy, there’d be no drama. Maybe you’d like that, because no fictional animals would fictionally get hurt in the course of such a fictional story—but the rest of us would find it really boring.