Karn needs perspectives on perspective

why would anyone hate it? it is just a perspective

2 Likes

I have to assume people have preferences on the matter.
I prefer third person omniscient but a shifting focus as previously discussed might be better for the root concept.

2 Likes

I think some of the fun of writing stories is that when you start a new one you can change up the style completely without taking away from past stories. So have fun with it and if you get an idea for a first person story, or a story with a perspective shift, then test it out and see how you like it.

2 Likes

*nods
ok that sounds pretty good. apologies if i’m overthinking things. it’s my default setting. :heart:

3 Likes

Everything under the sun is hated every idea that has ever been thought is hated so stop being a bitch boy and write your story

2 Likes

What a dire take on nihil novi sub sole
was simply looking for feedback :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You don’t need feed back just do . If everyone said your perspective change was not liked you tuck tail and not write it

2 Likes

Wait?

A first person thing?

Like that?

If so, interesting.

7 Likes

lol
yeah pretty much that.
in this example the story could either shift to “behind the eyes” of the abuser or the bound fluffy, with that being a 1st person perspective (and the method i’m thinking of using)

the other, where the focus is on the scene but from no one in particular’s “eyes” is what i usually use.

love your art btw

3 Likes

I experimented with perspectives a bit early on, and I found that a first person perspective works best for a human(oid) protagonist, and a second person perspective works best for a fluffy protagonist, particularly because fluffies can’t do first person pronouns. And for stories without a single protagonist, like a story focusing on human and fluffy co-protagonists, or a group of humans and fluffies, a third person perspective works best. And a third person perspective can also work for a singular protagonist of either species, if you don’t want the reader to know exactly what they’re thinking.

3 Likes

thanks
that helps a lot. the story in question is about people so it might be a good idea

2 Likes

Yeah, my stories are like that too. Some of them focus more on humans, some of them focus more on fluffies, and some of them are about 50/50. But I also try to make sure that there is at least one fluffy in every single story, and that at least one of those fluffies gets at least one line of dialogue in each story. A lot of my fluffy characters exist entirely because of that fact.

2 Likes

Nice thing with first person is it’s easier to have an unreliable narrator.

3 Likes

Definitely prefer the third person omniscient, especially for humans. Occasional dips into first-person for the fluffies is an excellent tool.

4 Likes

I personally prefer third perspective. I find first limiting because it’s only what the character sees. In third you get to see everything and get better foreshadowing.

That said, I don’t hate the other perspectives. It’s just a matter of preference for me and my writing style. It’s best to go with what suits your creativity.

4 Likes

Write your stories the way you feel is best. If you’re not happy with how it turns out than you can always remake it in a way that you feel is better. Don’t listen to the people who say stuff like “lol this sucks” without giving reason as to why. Focus on the positive feedback and the people who actually give you advice on how to improve your work if your interested in improving.

That’s just my opinon tho

3 Likes

You’re one of the best writers on here - doesn’t matter what POV you use. Just do your good stories - some of the 1st person stories on here aren’t that great - it all depends on the story and writing!

4 Likes

As long as you don’t do second person. Unless the perspective is completely alien like a fluffy or a drone.

And 1st person present-tense sucks. It feels like I’m sitting on the shoulder of the protagonist and I’m just transcribing their thoughts and actions, writing everything into their journal as they do it. :unamused:

Literally could not get through the Hunger Games series because I found the narration so distracting.

1st and 3rd person past-tense are always good :+1:

8 Likes

2nd person present tense is great if you’re trying to get the fluffy’s perspective on things, but not great if you want a full narrative since you’re even more limited on perspective that 1st person.

Whatever you do, keep your perspectives the same throughout the story unless there’s a clear break in the narrative. If you switch perspectives without a clutch, you’re going to leave your readers confused.

4 Likes

I always thought it was easier to write in first person or third person. First person allows you to imagine yourself as the character, more-so if the MC’s features aren’t particularly well described.

Third person gives you the freedom of bouncing from characters to characters and knowing what everyone is feeling AND why, without needed to add the mystery of motivation or reasoning. That’s for the characters within the story to find and figure out.

And a few other people mentioned it but past tense is always the best. Present tense is just gross.

2 Likes