Question About Controversial

Is it better to mark only the parts of a work that have controversial content in them as controversial, or mark the entire work as such (even if the other parts don’t have controversial content)?

3 Likes

If it got things like Fluffies giving bad special huggies or that to foals it be controversial tagged… iirc

2 Likes

just to be safe i would mark it as such even if it isn’t the focus

2 Likes

No I meant if for example, one chapter has something controversial, should I just mark that chapter as controversial or mark all of the chapters in the work?

PS: And if it’s relevant, the controversial part in this case isn’t anything sexual. I’m sex-repulsed asexual so I’m not comfortable writing anything like that.

I’ll be marking the parts with it for sure, but I’m not sure if I should mark them all or not.

And for clarification, by “parts” I mean separate posts.

Idk what controversial is here and i thibk if you do posts like chapters you can mark one seperately as controversial

1 Like

I know I can, I’m just not sure if I should or not.

Like, would it be easier to just mark them all so people not in controversial don’t end up not being able to see half the story?

I find it’s usually done with just the controversial part itself being marked. I don’t think the other parts should be unless they are controversial on their own merit.

5 Likes

Idk if its easier or not…:thinking:

1 Like

i would do just that one chapter.

if youre worried about people not being able to find it maybe put a note at the bottom of the chapter before it?

2 Likes

I mark them as is but it depends on what you prefer. If part one isn’t controversial and you put part two in controversial for example, you might get more people interested enough to check it out despite being there.

2 Likes

I was curious about this same issue, which extends to any tags really.
I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s best to tag a single chapter of a longer work with only those tags that are appropriate to that specific chapter.
If only chapter 4 has content that belongs in Controversial, only chapter 4 should be tagged Controversial (as was done in, for example, The Fourth of July, by Karn - incidentally it’s nice of an author to create a version that people who don’t want to look in Controversial can read if it’s not integral to the plot).

I would say the box tags are probably the exception: I wouldn’t, as an example, tag as hugbox a chapter of an abuse or sadbox story where an abuser is merely lulling fluffies into a false sense of security, because to me that feels like luring hugboxers in for a story they may not like the rest of.

2 Likes

up to your preference. if it was me i would mark the whole thing with an expectation that people would want to read the whole thing

1 Like

Yes, you can mark (only) the chapter that has controversial material. You don’t have to mark other chapters with the tag if they did not contain controversial content.

If readers miss the chapter because they have not opted in to read controversial material that’s on them, not you.

1 Like

Yeah I think I’ll probably end up doing that. The controversial parts are important to the plot, so it’d be pretty confusing if I didn’t just mark the whole thing.

Entire thing. Otherwise people will miss important bits

1 Like