The Problem with Hivecanon (Opinion piece by Oculus)

I feel you a lot.

Most abuse pieces just leave me like “Ok, I spent ten minutes reading about imaginary creatures getting ripped apart. Coolio.” But why bother? There’s no character development. No lucky escape. No karmic justice. No moral victory. Just pointless suffering. Everytime I jump into an abuse story, I know it’s going to be set in the biotoy canon 9/10 times, where abusers run rampant and authors can literally ignore having to flesh out characters and background scenery. After all, why bother with secondary characters if every human hates fluffies? Nobody will bat an eye at the blood curdling screams and pleading coming from an alley, because the voice is shrill and talks in fluffspeak. And I literally don’t find enjoyment in reading about pointless suffering. A good story with suffering included? Ok, give me dem feels. But most abuse pieces are so… soulless to me.

Hugbox aswell, most pure hugbox images I kind of gloss over, but at least those are usually cute!

It’s like watching cat pictures on the internet, they are simply cute and make you go “aww”. At least they kind of warm your heart a bit, even if there’s no larger story behind them.

1 Like

Do yourself and Oculus a favor and read this. He would appreciate your input.

1 Like