The Stillborn (EzPete)

As opposed to being raised for slaughter? I know which one I’D prefer.

I mean you do know they actually lead pretty long lives right? Bulls are especially valuable and if you don’t get a few calves out of every heifer then you’re going to have problems of not enough cattle and inbreeding. That’s not to mention dairy cows like holsteins who are kept until all their meat is near worthless so we can harvest their milk. If that doesn’t change your mind I don’t know man.

Sure, but to be a domesticated bovine is to live a kind of body horror life where your very organs have been altered over generations to better suit the needs of the creatures which will one day consume you. That’s, like, dark as fuck.

That’s true of all creatures we share the garden with. Wolves were once a terrifying breed, now the only ones that survived were the ones that knew enough to run away. We have conditioned an entire species to fear us.
Horses used to be tiny disgusting creatures that shouldn’t live. (Their phsyogamy is weird! They don’t have legs they have fingers. Their organs aren’t even tied to their chest cavity they hang loose.) Over the course of one generation they grew to be bigger than a man.

that shouldn’t live

I think that’s the difference here is that I’d never describe an animal that way

You change your tune when you hear the cries of pain. You only see a two headed calf stumble about tearing itself in half confused and hurting once before you start to understand the idea of death as a mercy

Yeah that’s all well and good for a single entity but you’re referring to the entire concept of “pre-domesticated horses” as “tiny disgusting creatures that shouldn’t live.” I’m just saying the fact you’d use a phrase like that shows me there’s a fundamental difference in how you and I each view the purpose of life.

Yeah, I want a vague utopia where needs are met and we can live without fear and you want the same but with slavery

I don’t know where you’re getting that lmao I’m just saying I’d rather be a horse than a pig is all. Horses don’t get force fed to the point of excruciating pain so they’re nice and plump for roasting.

Worked as a ranch hand for many years. The one and only time I’ve seen a creature treated like that was a quail being turned into fois gras or however it’s spelt. The quality of your meat is directly proportional to the quality of the conditions they’re kept in.

And how many horses have you seen that done to?

Zero horses pigs cows chickens goats llamas or domestic creatures of any kind.

Cool. So I’ve seen it done to pigs, chickens, ducks, sheep, and even turkey once. I come from a family where most of the cousins were third generation farmers, and I can say without a shadow of doubt in my mind that the working animals had less horrific lives than the food animals.

1 Like

Sounds like your family just sucks.

You’re not wrong, but they also weren’t any worse than the other farmers in their communities. I think maybe YOU just have a cleaner than average experience vis a vis livestock.

1 Like

Can we please drop this discussion and get back to fluffies?

Nobody is forcing you to participate in the discussion

& to be milked, even. But the end result is that we have increased their numbers far beyond what they would be able to on their own, &, indeed, to a level increasingly inconvenient to us. From a biological perspective, that would hardly be considered parasitism on our part.

This is the fate of every prey animal on earth. Just as every predator species, including humanity, is shaped by what they prey upon.

Not that any of this justifies treating living beings like machinery, just as giving a starving man food does not justify you stealing his clothes.

Or ( desperately trying to keep on subject ) giving a fluffy cheap kibble does not justify stealing its children :wink:

I woke up to 22 notifications. Please continue this in DMs or stop.

See this is why I always change my Notification Settings on my stories to “Normal” so when a dust up happens I don’t find out until I go looking or someone mentions me.