The Way the Cookie Crumbles (Full Comic) (By: PeppermintParchment)

Have you read “The Restaurant at the end of the world” by Douglas Adams. There’s a passage about a sentient cow that wants to be eaten that I’ve always found deeply disturbing.

A large dairy animal approached Zaphod Beeblebrox’s table, a large fat meaty quadruped of the bovine type with large watery eyes, small horns and what might almost have been an ingratiating smile on its lips.

“Good evening,” it lowed and sat back heavily on its haunches, “I am the main Dish of the Day. May I interest you in the parts of my body?”

It harrumphed and gurgled a bit, wriggled its hind quarters in to a more comfortable position and gazed peacefully at them.

Its gaze was met by looks of startled bewilderment from Arthur and Trillian, a resigned shrug from Ford Prefect and naked hunger from Zaphod Beeblebrox.

“Something off the shoulder perhaps?” suggested the animal, “braised in a white wine sauce?”

“Er, your shoulder?” said Arthur in a horrified whisper.

“But naturally my shoulder, sir,” mooed the animal contentedly, “nobody else’s is mine to offer.”

Zaphod leapt to his feet and started prodding and feeling the animal’s shoulder appreciatively.

“Or the rump is very good,” murmured the animal. “I’ve been exercising it and eating plenty of grain, so there’s a lot of good meat there.”

It gave a mellow grunt, gurgled again and started to chew the cud. It swallowed the cud again.

“Or a casserole of me perhaps?” it added.

“You mean this animal actually wants us to eat it?” whispered Trillian to Ford.

“Me?” said Ford, with a glazed look in his eyes, “I don’t mean anything.”

“That’s absolutely horrible,” exclaimed Arthur, “the most revolting thing I’ve ever heard.”

“What’s the problem Earthman?” said Zaphod, now transferring his attention to the animal’s enormous rump.

“I just don’t want to eat an animal that’s standing there inviting me to,” said Arthur, “It’s heartless.”

“Better than eating an animal that doesn’t want to be eaten,” said Zaphod.

“That’s not the point,” Arthur protested. Then he thought about it for a moment. “Alright,” he said, “maybe it is the point. I don’t care, I’m not going to think about it now. I’ll just… er […] I think I’ll just have a green salad,” he muttered.

“May I urge you to consider my liver?” asked the animal, “it must be very rich and tender by now, I’ve been force-feeding myself for months.”

“A green salad,” said Arthur emphatically.

“A green salad?” said the animal, rolling his eyes disapprovingly at Arthur.

“Are you going to tell me,” said Arthur, “that I shouldn’t have green salad?”

“Well,” said the animal, “I know many vegetables that are very clear on that point. Which is why it was eventually decided to cut through the whole tangled problem and breed an animal that actually wanted to be eaten and was capable of saying so clearly and distinctly. And here I am.”

It managed a very slight bow.

“Glass of water please,” said Arthur.

“Look,” said Zaphod, “we want to eat, we don’t want to make a meal of the issues. Four rare stakes please, and hurry. We haven’t eaten in five hundred and seventy-six thousand million years.”

The animal staggered to its feet. It gave a mellow gurgle. “A very wise choice, sir, if I may say so. Very good,” it said, “I’ll just nip off and shoot myself.”

He turned and gave a friendly wink to Arthur. “Don’t worry, sir,” he said, “I’ll be very humane.”

It waddled unhurriedly off to the kitchen.

3 Likes

I remember there was actually a story where bread fluffies were consumed by eating their exterior fluff (which is just bread) and it was shown that if you cut into the fluffy like you would a normal loaf of bread, it would just bleed and the bread would get ruined.

1 Like

That is pretty creepy. I read a similar story in a philosophy book I had in high school.

1 Like

Dang, now I feel bad that they weren’t bitten to death.

Awesome Christmas comic!

1 Like

Fluffy vore. >:)

1 Like

This is great stuff, Peppermint! Extra kudos to you for timing a major project with a Christmas release!

This reads really well and has pleasant, consistent colors. I like how the humans are mostly voices and hands, and we don’t get to see their faces. Combined with all the close ups it brings us into the crazy but loving world of the gingerbread fluffies. I really like them and it hurts when they’re treated with such casual cruelty.

I think my favorite part was when the lady acknowledged that she needed them to go past their programming and vastly over perform, and then her boss notices. They flat out deliver on the human lady’s career fantasy, and go way beyond her expectation, and she still values them less than a hot dog.

I also love that a person who explicitly says she thinks about her figure, and watches her figure, is going to snack on frozen hot dog and keeps pizza in her freezer. It tells me a lot about this person.

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

Thank you for the high praise!
Originally she was going to forget the fluffies completely and the comic was going to watch them as they went stale in their container. She was eventually going to find them and then throw them out when she noticed they were stale. But I was running short on time and reworked the plot,and I think this flows better.
I’m not too great at drawing hands,but I thought having the Mummah just being a pair of hands and an occasional “glimpse” of her was enough to get across how small the gingerfluffies were,plus it saved me time by making me able to not draw and position an entire person in the panels.
I’m glad you got the message of how much of a user/forgetful the Mummah is. She isn’t a good person,but she’s good at pretending to be. I think apathy about fluffies in fluffy stories is one of the best tropes,and I try to use it when it fits.
Thank you for noticing all the little details,and for your nice comment :slight_smile:

4 Likes

When Hasbio™ stopped pretending to do science, & went straight to that good, well, old anyway, black magic!

1 Like

You mean “The Restaurant at the end of the Galaxy”? That’s a good book.

1 Like

Bumping because it’s the best Christmas shit.

1 Like

Ha! I set an alarm just for today for that reason. Tis the season!!

2 Likes

Thank you for liking it enough to come back to it :heart:

Who cares what month it is, unexpected cookies!