Tutorial: How To Make a Fluffy Comic Using Pen & Paper (Fluffus)

Wonderful, I’m making a comic right now. This will be an amazing resource!
:star_struck:

4 Likes

i think the solution here is comically simple
step 1: stop using Reddit
that’s it

4 Likes

Thank god I don’t use reddit and I never will.

2 Likes

the less you think about Reddit, the less of a problem it becomes

2 Likes

What’s a reddit?

2 Likes

I don’t know. you tell me

2 Likes

Question about word bubbles, the worst thing that can happen is a case of “Birthdaybanneritis” so how does one avoid this? Should I make the comic panel first or plan my word bubbles first and make the box around them?

1 Like

Yeah unfortunately two artist I follow use it still. As soon as they either finish up their comics, or come here I’ll never have to go there again.

3 Likes

If the mountain does not go to Mahomet, then Mahomet should go to the mountain. did you try to invite them here?

3 Likes

I haven’t thought about it mainly because I thought it would be to forward of me to do so plus I assumed they knew and made a choice not to.

3 Likes

Fantastic!

4 Likes

the best way to do this is not to offer, but to ask. this way, you will kill 2 birds at the same time: you will get answers to the question of why they didn’t join, and make them think about it if they just didn’t know. a less straightforward approach with identical results

3 Likes

Great tutorial!

3 Likes

thanks for that.

for those of us with more ambition than talent is there somewhere to look up composition/visual storytelling tropes?

2 Likes

This is insanely helpful!

3 Likes

Thank you for the advice. I’ll shoot them a DM. Much appreciated!

3 Likes

This is so hardcore. I go digital so I can copy/paste and ctr z like the lazy chump I am.

Awesome to see your process. That section where you describe leading the reader’s eyes and have sequential pictures all use a triangular motifs is super dope. I just shitpost until something comes out right. It’s super cool to see behind the mind of someone who is able to plan and design this type of stuff.

3 Likes

I’m sure you can just google those two things and you’ll find stuff. Some of the quality stuff may be behind paywalls.

I like books and I think Scott McCloud and Will Eisner have written some key stuff.

5 Likes

If you work with traditional techniques (and you don’t have a repo camera and a printing press) it’s best to sketch out everything that will go onto your page before you commit.

Every element on the page is there for a reason and is equally important. Once you realize this the job becomes to balance the different elements.

5 Likes

Practically speaking I inked and lettered the word bubbles first when I made this comic. Since I used marker for color and pens for ink, it was good to be aware of the big white spaces with black squiggles in them, that would necessarily be part of the page. Also because they are white, I had to be careful not to get colors that bled into them. Some of that could be corrected with white-out, but not very much.

3 Likes