when it comes to fiction, do you see the characters' views as their own, or as mouthpieces for the writer?

That depends it can play both ways at less they are a very good story writer then it’s can be very hard to tell other wise you just have to really pay attention to how the story goes to figure that out if it’s the characters view or the author cause in order to write about it they need to experience it in one way or another either personal experience or hands-on experience

1 Like

I think it depends on the writer. New writers starting out usually draw from their experience. With more experience, and with imagination, it is most definitely possible to write characters that are different from you. You almost have to, in order to have a compelling story.

And it’s important to remember that all of these stories are centered around an imaginary creature, and the different boxes have existed for years and most of the stories will fit in one or two of them…

I don’t think anyone really thinks @BFM101 torments fluffies in a scary basement, And the thought never crossed my mind that he does. Maybe I’m naïve but I think I’m older than most of the people on this site and I think you are safe to express your imagination. Maybe don’t use your real name or home address LOL

3 Likes

well, yeah, a little misunderstanding. i guess comparing irl animal abuse and fluffy abuse leed to those

4 Likes

i’d say it comes down to the way the author writes, not in one story, but in multiple/all of them. if you have one character saying or talking about some racist shit in a vacuum, it doesnt necessarily mean anything, whether they’re a hero or a villain. but if you see it in quite a few of their stories, a pattern emerges and the conclusion isn’t hard to draw from there.

then of course you have writers who just strawman the crap out of their opposition. “my character is cool and powerful and right, while yours is dumb and a stereotype and wrong”.

how much you want to separate the artist from the art is up to you.

2 Likes

I completely divorce the characters from the writer unless the writer has the same themes in every single story

4 Likes

I see them as the characters views. Personally I get into the mind set of a character when I write them. But it doesn’t mean that character is me. It’s that character and their thoughts and feelings. They are their own creatures.

4 Likes

I think most writers do a mix of both. It probably depends more on why you write/create a story, and the way you edit.

I write my fluffy fiction mostly as a way to cope with my mental illness and my past, so my characters are likely just portions of myself, given a coat of verbal paint and slapped on the page. It doesn’t help that I also do next to no editing and proof reading til after it’s ‘published’.

1 Like

Well, my characters’ opinions aren’t necessarily my opinons. I mean, I’ve written characters with, frankly, insane opinions, but that doesn’t mean I’m insane. I’ve written characters that are racists and homophobes, but that doesn’t mean I’m a racist homophobe.

So I don’t see it as a given that another writer’s character’s opinions are the writer’s opinons too. Unless it’s particularly obvious that a character is a mouthpiece for the writer’s views, I’m willing to give the writer the benefit of the doubt.

As for the boxshaming: hugbox vs. abuse is actually a major plot point in my stories. But I myself try to avoid boxshaming other users. So I’d say a fictional character boxshaming another fictional character shouldn’t be an issue. If someone’s capable of separating fiction and reality, it should be fine.

4 Likes

This, this 100 percent.

2 Likes

I didn’t notice I said really instead of reality until you quoted it.

Damn it, NobodyAtAll! When will you learn to proofread?

3 Likes

Ironically I read it as reality I didn’t even notice your error lmao :rofl:

2 Likes

if they are not presenting satans pov as correct than that is different than what i said

I find it hard to believe that it’s even possible for a character to be portrayed as “in the right” for narrative reasons if the author personally doesn’t agree with that character’s views. I mean, you can understand them in the given context and write to that effect, but that just means that you see where they’re coming from. If the author doesn’t agree with them, they’re in the wrong. Characters who share the author’s IRL views are right, those that don’t are wrong.

@Mr_Owl @jimmyhopkins @A-S

Give it ten years. People will be advocating rights for non-sentient people-of-algorithm (as opposed to those who had the privilege of being born from a womb) and setting your Sims family on fire or running over GTA pedestrians will be outlawed because it’s “too close to animal abuse”.

6 Likes

For the sake of the importance of perspective, let me try:

Your 3 year old son has been mauled to death by a rabid dog. You find the beast, capture it, and spend the rest of its miserable life torturing the discount wolf to death.

Did that bring your 3 old son back? No, of course not. But as a cool-headed and distant person reading about it, you might come to a different conclusion than a highly emotional parent who just lost their own flesh and blood to some fucking animal.

P.S.: Before anyone goes full freud on me, no this was just an example.

2 Likes

the same old moby dick again. vendettas against nature are pointless. either leave the dog alone or just kill it so it wouldn’t harm anyone again

3 Likes

you don’t need to be cold blooded to see that the dog won’t even understand why are you doing it

3 Likes

Pretend things are pretend. Adults shouldn’t need that explained to them.

4 Likes

Correct, but you would have to be somewhat insane to be sane after just having lost a child.
The point being, that anyone can change their long held beliefs if they have enough incentive. I tried to come up with an especially gruesome incentive to go into a vengeful rage that ultimately accomplishes nothing more than maybe some piece of mind.

Also, wasn’t Moby Dick about dedicating your whole life for revenge?
In my example I did not intend to imply a yearlong search for the dog.

it also has man vs nature themes. essentially the whale is a representation of nature that doesn’t know or care why it is being pursued, making the revenge dubble pointless, and even suicidal

4 Likes