30 years later... Part 2 By ArisenLeaf

As your father went to the medicine cabinet to fish out the Tylenol you quickly began to take the bags in. You were curious about these animals and wanted to hear more from your mother, so you helped her put away the groceries, finish up the dishes, and sat with her in the living room.

“So the creatures you we-“

“WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS DOING IN MY GARAGE?!?”

You both turned and saw your dad holding the carcass, looking angry and disgusted.

“I-I found it at the river, sir. I-I never seen anything like it before so I thought I’d-“

“You thought you’d bring it in my garage and play with it!!! Jesus Samuel you’re 24 you should be doing something other than… this!”

Unable to give a valid reason, you lowered your head in shame.

“…I’m sorry sir.”

Your mother got up and started arguing with your father about what he said, but deep down you knew it to be true.

You felt ashamed that you could only make your dad more and more disappointed with you.
First it was when you dropped out of university, then it was when you asked to move back in, then finally it was when you got fired from your job in retail…

After minutes of rationalizing everything with your mother, he finally spoke to you again.

Sigh Son… I’m only hard on you because you need to put your head in the right direction.”

“I know…”

After a moment of silence he turned and headed towards the garage, you realized he was about to throw it away and followed him, begging not to, your mother followed in tow

“Dad, wait! Don’t throw it away!”

He was already in the driveway heading towards the trash, then your mother spoke.

“James, it’s a fluffy.”

He stopped when your mother said the creatures identify. It looks like even your father knew what it was, he seemed just as sad when he found out.

He instead takes the body to the workbench where you left it and places it down gently.

“Dad…? Did you know this creature too?”

He removed his glasses and gulped down his emotions, doing his best not to cry in front of you.

“Yes… a very long time ago, when everything was interesting.”

“When everything was interesting?”

Your father explained how impactful fluffies were to him, well one of them of course. Her name was Aqua, she helped your dad with the trauma he experienced, giving him an outlet and a friend.

“She gave my world light when it seemed dark… I miss her… everyday I miss her…”

The first time in all your life, your father wept. Your mother held his arm, doing her best to help console him.

You now know of these creatures existence, but the question still bothered you.

Mom? Dad? How did they go extinct?

Part 2/?

9 Likes

Interesting, where will this go?
Good luck writing more Arisen.

2 Likes