an mother, that asking for help. (LeoTheHugboxer)

Hm … nice try sweetie for trying to wun away … you can say good bye to weggies and babies

1 Like

This actually makes me morbidly curious now.

We’ve kept quite a few animals alive past their due date, anyway. Pandas and koalas come to mind.

1 Like

Wa da dog doing

1 Like

They aren’t “past their due date”. Both of those species are endangered due to habitat loss, which is caused by humans. To allow extinction due to human causes is pure evil.

Yeah, it’s not exactly the same.

Again, dogs exist because humans exist. Every breed of dog started with humans breeding wolves for specific traits, which weren’t always traits that are beneficial for survival in the wild.

Pretty much all farm animals are the same way. And a lot of crops are, as well. You can thank Dutch farmers for the classic orange carrots that are the first kind most people think of when they hear the word carrot.

If someone rewrote history so humans never evolved, dogs, pigs, chickens and cows would all be screwed too, but koalas and pandas would be just fine. They’d be doing even better, actually. China would be an all-you-can-eat bamboo buffet.

Koalas would probably still be dealing with that whole koala clap problem, though.

That’s not our fault, is it?

I hope it’s not our fault. I don’t like the implications if it is.

1 Like

???

Pushka, it was a joke.

Pandas and koalas are both amusingly inept at survival outside (and arguably within) their own native biomes. They are picky eaters who can’t afford to be picky and have very low birthrates, among other things. Their evolutions have given them the ability to survive under a very exact set of circumstances and probably helped them out completely other species a long time ago—but all species die out eventually, and specialized ones tend to go faster than generalists.

If they hadn’t been cute enough to make humans want to help them, those species would probably be in even more trouble than they are now, due to the upsetting of their very specialized natural environments by human activities. And even if we didn’t exist, they would likely die out fairly soon on their own anyway, because the earth does change without human interference, too.

None of this is any excuse for actively killing vulnerable animals, or even letting species die through inaction after damaging their habitats—and I never even so much as implied it was. I just thought it’s funny that we spend so much effort to keep these animals alive while they’re practically trying to die, and at the same time we wantonly kill off all these species without a care in the world—and the only difference is that the first group of animals is cute and the second isn’t.

1 Like

I didn’t know it was a joke.