Are smarties genetically predisposed or do they learn their bad habits?

A poll for one of our Reddit users

Nature vs Nurture
  • Smarties are born bad
  • Smarties learn to be awful

0 voters

Discuss your answer in the comments.

7 Likes

While learned I would say some fluffies are maybe predisposed to becoming smarties. Whether it be a genetic/programming defect or in some cases in how their genetics are made up ( in some breeds there may be a more aggressive species mixed in ).

5 Likes

I feel that though some smarties are far more likely genetically to become smarties, it can be trained out of them. However if the behavior is encouraged even the fluffy with the kindest disposition can become spoiled.

4 Likes

I personally like the Idea that, just like Hellgremlins, its all a question of learned behaviour and beliefs etc. I also enjoy the Idea of “Smarty Syndrom” in the way, that because of the genetical chimera that Fluffies are, there are some strange things happening in their brain but mostly? Learned behaviour and the character of the fluffy themselves. If you have a especially aggressive or anti-social fluffy, there is a chance it will become more of a smarty. I also may see Smarties as Nice Guys/Incels on Steroids. (same btw for nice girls with mares that run away to have children and then have best children) as in, I use the most stereotypical version of this “meme” and give it an extra push.

3 Likes

3 Likes

As with most things fluffy related, it comes down to headcanon. Personally for mine I view it almost like a dog. If you don’t clearly establish the hierarchy, and just let it get away with everything, it will become a smarty.

4 Likes

Smarty friends are just herd leaders. Fluffy ponies were meant to be entirely reliant on humans. In the case of ferals, there’s no human present to act as a caretaker and provider. So the smarty either steps (or got shoved) into the role that the fluffy pony’s owner would normally take. If most of them end up being little tyrants; it’s due to being in a position they aren’t mentally or emotionally equipped to handle combined with an inflated ego, and little to no accountability.

What most people are currently calling smarty syndrome is just a bratty behavior.

7 Likes

My dog has never called me dummy

2 Likes

The might be predisposed to born that way but I believe it’s more of a learn thing, smarties re mostly pretty, the bestes babbeh, this because the mother spoils them and tell them they deserve everything and other fluffies are less than them, this goes for generations but might happen on poopies too, stray poopie fluffies who learned from life and become “tough” in order to survive turning into jerks.

2 Likes

There’s three kinds of smarties in my headcannon. One is the herd leader. Good intentions, wants what’s best for the herd. Not always gets the best outcome.
Second is the spoiled fluff. Both can be corrected to become a normal respectful fluffy.
The third have smarty simdrom. This is a defect in their programming and can’t be corrected. They are usually destroyed or die from their own stupidity.

4 Likes

Sure it has.
You just didn’t understand it.
Dummy.

4 Likes

Mixed. If Smarty Syndrome is supposed to be a 1:1 for human psychopathy then we can infer that while smarties are largely born lacking empathy and remorse, environmental factors help push them into being entitled and violent. Granted most stories don’t really dwell on this very much so like all things fluffy, this is just my opinion.

1 Like

I think of smarty syndrome as more of an ego boost, the more severe the syndrome the more they expect to simply be given things up to a neer suicidal point of ego that inevitably annoys a human usually resulting in death. But they aren’t bad, they throw tantrums but they aren’t bad. I think that it all depends on tutoring, and unfortunately fluffies dont make good special needs tutors.

1 Like

Oi! No booli!

1 Like

I feel as though fluffies become smarties because of two things. Ego growing (Bestest babbeh, family saying they are smarty, and poor parenting regards to bullying.) and out of necessity. Early on I miss the fluffies who were “smarties” but not the bullish hell gremlins we have today.

1 Like

I think it’s nature and nurture both at the same time. Some animals are born with a dominant personality; born leaders. But, the attitude that goes with it is nurture; a spoiled brat or a humble smart leader. Any fluffy can become a spoiled brat given the owner, but some are born with leadership qualities and can go bad from bad mothers or bad owners, just like dogs. (I hope this made sense… )

2 Likes

Was thinking about this myself recently. I think it’s a bit of both - partly genetic as a last-resort/survival instinct that occasionally comes out where it isn’t necessary (I’ve always viewed fluffies as defective prototypes released too early and as such can occasionally lapse into an unwanted behaviour), but it can also be nurtured: I figure if a mare refers to her foals as ‘smawty’ for good things they do then they’re more likely to become smarties.