Are there any abuse themes that feel overdone lately?

Or particular fluffy dialogue that is getting old?

Asking because looking at seeing if there’s room for innovation and also overdone themes I should avoid when commissioning stories/comics or collaborating with others.

Looking forward to hearing the communities thoughts on this. Thank you.

6 Likes

More proper emotional abuse for these “living” toddler toys, either from the perspective that they are designed with an infantile personality so even mundane discipline is the worst and most distressing thing ever or stuff like this: https://fluffy-community.com/t/a-chance-meeting-othercoraline/37312 where it’s not abuse per se but still has these emotional toys totally treated like products with no regard for their supposed feelings etc.

11 Likes

I miss othercoraline’s work.

6 Likes

One thing I will say is that I really like it when creators move away from standard stock phrases.

While it can be understandable thematically that fluffies are programmed with certain lines (Only wittle babbeh, huggies and wub, etc) due to their biotoy status, it does take a lot of impact out of both abuse and hugbox scenarios if overused because it robs them of any emotional response. You already know what they’re going to say and how they’re going to react, like a sitcom character repeating their catchphrase.

Fluffies are at their best when they’re using their uncanny nature to try to understand the natures of their human masters and reality in general. It’s a fine line because making them too clever too quickly makes them less unique, but there should be more to a fluffy than a set of standard responses.

15 Likes

Need moar “speshuw wumps” punishment! :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Pillows
Enfie babbeh
BMS mares
Poopie babbehs
Bad smartys
Abusive owners for no reason
Horrorbox
Alleyway
Bad poopies
Foal abuse

Most things tbh it’s getting awfully stale ATM. not that there isn’t fantastic new work out there, it’s just the current accepted tropes have really been milked to death.

4 Likes

Castration is massively overused

2 Likes

If more people are able to write stories without relying on bestest/poopie babbies that would’ve been nice

2 Likes

I think all of those still have potential, they’re just not being used to their full cruelty potential.

There’s a classic (wolfram?) comic that shows exactly what I mean in terms of simplicity: fluffy daycare, no back legs fluffy wants to play with a little music box, can’t get there in time, is left with a toy he can’t possibly use in his state, and he has to watch a retard smarty-ish fluffy beat on and smash up the music box it’s too stupid to work.

It’s simple but very brutal. So I would say the watchword is more cruelty.

2 Likes

Wolfram is great at subtlety i know the exact imagine! sometimes its the none pysical abuse that hits the hardest.

Gaslighting and pyschological stuff can be so effective, stuff like Spinel and Duffys Birthday come to mind :blush:

4 Likes

Duffy is also one of the masterworks for wheeze too!

3 Likes

All of the core “themes” are overdone. That’s the challenge of writing/drawing Fluffy stories: how do I take these pieces and put them together in this box and then fill it in with my story to make something interesting.

When it isn’t approached with those things in mind, we get stuff like horrorbox, post-apocalypse, and superhero stuff.

Anthro stuff can work in the fluffy universe (barely) as long as it isn’t just repurposed from other fandoms.

1 Like

I think blood and guts and over the top violence is overdone. There is no suffering involved in instantly being obliterated or stomped on.

2 Likes

We’ve moved away from silly psychological abuse where we just make fluffies feel bad in favor of mutilating and sodomizing them.

Bring back making fluffies cry by making them think you took away their legs or putting their children on a shelf just out of reach. Give them an identity crisis by dying their fluff or a full meltdown because spaghetti makes them sick now. It’s far funnier when a fluffy is alive and miserable than turned into marinara.

5 Likes

What about poopie babbehs being what saves a feral herd, or are the only fluffies left from a feral herd after something clears the other ones out because they can hide better in the woods?

Nope. Keep it coming

What I like seeing but rarely do is when a fluffy is psychologically abused to the point where it believes it’s irredeemably awful, and realizes just how shit it is, purely because it’s a fluffy, as well as getting fluffies to push past their own programming, like Your Own Advocate and Tiny Lives. The long-con psychological fuckery is really good.

As far as over-done themes, anything babbeh-fever motivated is way up there. As well as the things fluffies get in trouble for in general. It’s always either bad poopies or running away because the owner said no to something like once. I’m pretty sure they can get themselves into far more complex and creative forms of trouble than that. And also exploring the Why can be interesting too. For example, the fluffy in my story keeps getting in trouble for bad poopies, but the Why turns out to be a mental complex around shitting, where she got the wrong message as a foal and believes that ALL poopies are bad, and pooping MAKES her bad, and tries to Stop Shitting (which is impossible for a fluffy) but it just builds up and backfires instead. We get a look at the massive amount of self loathing she experiences just for a normal bodily function.

2 Likes