"Are you cold?" [Solidus]

Author’s note: This is not a series. It’s just a little one-shot I wanted to do.

“Are you cold?”

By Solidus.

“Pwease cwouds, no mowe sky wa-was……huuuuuu……” the stallion begged, looking up at the dark, starless sky. “Speciaw fwend, come back in nestie, too cowd….” he heard from behind him. He quickly turned and went back into the plastic and cardboard box that comprised his “Home”.

His heavily pregnant mate wiggled her useless legs, looking at him pleadingly. He went to her, and hugged her. “Huuu….sowwy Soon-Mummah, Sky Wa-wa no stopping….” he said. His special friend was the most beautiful mare ever, a sky-blue with a brilliant white mane. He was a much darker shade of deep purple, with a green mane.

He was sure he could be a good dad, and his mare a wonderful mom……if they could survive this. It was so wet, so cold, and just wouldn’t stop……

“Soon-Mummah need nummies, Speciaw-fwiend….” she said, cuddling him “Wuv tummeh babbehs, no wan them go fowevew sweepies……” she began to cry. “No cwy speciaw-fwiend, Eggpwant am gud speciaw-fwiend, wiww find nummies next bwite time!

He didn’t want to lie to her. He loved Skypuff, but what was he supposed to say to her? There’s no food to be had? He wasn’t likely to find any food tomorrow, as he hadn’t for the past 3 days?

No, he had to keep hoping, and keep trying. Worse comes to worst, he’d give her one of his own legs, or all of them, if he had to.

Their children must survive, no matter what.

Step. Clack.

Step. Clack.

Step. Clack.

Skypuff took in a sharp breath. “No pwease….no munstahs….” she barely whispered. Eggplant moved in front of her. He was a large stallion, if weak from lack of food. Even so, he would fight if he had to.

A human. He could see it’s outline, albeit different from usual. It was holding……something in both not-hooves. One was long, straight, and touched the ground, being nearly as tall as it was. The other thing it held was shorter, and went over it’s head.

It walked straight towards them, water pouring off the second thing it held onto the ground.

Eggplant stood his ground, and stopped a hoof. “GO WAY!” he shouted, as loudly as he could. The human did not, and instead, walked until he stood over the stallion, towering over it. The rain……stopped.

“Sky wa-wa?” he said, momentarily distracted, looking up. The thing the human carried was shielding the 3 of them from the downpour.

Eggplant shook his head. “NO HUWT SPECIAW FWIEND!” He said, lashing out and striking the long thing the human held. It didn’t budge, and he doubled over. “Owwies!”

The human bent low, and was eye level with the stallion now. “Are you cold, little ones?” he asked, for it was a he.

Skypuff was trembling. “Pwease no huwt speciaw fwiend or tummeh babbehs……” she whimpered.

“Relax. I am not going to hurt you.” The human said. “If I were, I would have already.”

Eggplant recovered his composure. “What you want, hooman?” he asked, aggressively.

“Friend of mine told me there was a lost pregnant mare out here. Didn’t know there was a stallion with her. I came here to see if she wanted to come to a safe place, with me.” he answered.

“Skypuff no wanna weave speciaw fwiend….”

“Eggpwant no wet you take soon mummah an babbehs!”

The human motioned for them to be quiet.

“I said to relax. I’m not going to steal your mate, little buddy. Would you BOTH like to come somewhere safe and warm? I don’t want to leave you to die out here.”

The two fluffies stopped, and were silent for a moment.

“Eggpwant, come to Skypuff fow a second.” she said.

The human watched with an amused smile as the two fluffies, one so routund as to be immobile, discussed this revelation.

Eventually, a settlement seemed to have been reached between them, and the stallion walked back to him.

“Eggpwant think this am gud idea. Hooman pwomise not to huwt speciaw fwiend or babbehs?”

“I promise. I came here to save you, not hurt you.” he said, tucking the long stick under one arm, and petting the filthy purple stallion. “Let me pick her up, and I’ll carry her to my home. Can you walk and follow with me? Stay under the umbrella, I don’t want you getting soaked, alright?”

It took some doing, but the human gently carried Skypuff in his arms to a house. Eggplant walked with them, talking to the human and explaining everything, how they hadn’t eaten for days, how he was scared for his babies.

“They’ll be fine now. You’ll all be fine now. Everything will be okay.” The human said, setting Skypuff down on a towel on the floor. “You’ll have to stay in the bathroom while I get a saferoom ready, that’s not too much trouble, right?”

Eggplant nodded “Das fine.”

He still didn’t really trust this human, but he was very nice.

The human returned a few minutes later with some actual food. Leftover spaghetti and meatballs.

Eggplant now trusted him.

“Skypuff, you’re soaked to the bone, are you cold?” He asked, drying her with a towel.

“Am nice and wawm, hooman daddeh.”

He smiled. Eggplant smiled too.

They were safe.

23 Likes

Aww… :sob:

1 Like