Best part of the day ~ [The_Other_Conagher]

Anyone who has loved pets knows, the best part of the day is often the homecoming welcome from your furred family :coco:

It’s been a hot minute since I’ve drawn a human, but hey, wanted to get back into practice

Haven't much felt like creating lately, but still enjoyed being around

Just wanted to put up something I was mostly happy with; I felt like if I took this any further I’d not like the result. Med change issues swung from the decent creative period I had during the summer into a really depressed fall.

I had been working on getting my second patent for 2023 and getting this invention in front of some toy companies before the year ended, but I got really down and discouraged about everything.

So as a result, I’m withdrawing from all psych meds with my doctor’s assistance, and just see where I’m at after 8 years of being on them. Unfortunately we may have to move out of our rental house in March unless we can buy it (possible), but either way we’ll still be living in a city we’re still not loving after almost 10 years here. Ah well, things will work, one way or another ~

36 Likes

Be well, friend. And thanks for the pic, this reminds me of myself and my little doggo.

2 Likes

Beautiful picture, I hope everything works out well

1 Like

is this paper and ink? it looks rich, like ink layered over paint layered over pencil, really great dimension

1 Like

This is nice.

2 Likes

Hope all goes well.
Beautiful picture.

1 Like

Can confirm. That hugging your little friends when you come back is the best thing ever. Always lightens up the day :heart:

2 Likes

Hell, IDK, the AI just popped it out… :ahahaha:

JK~ You’re not far off of how I illustrate.

Here's my process details if you're interested:

I prefer medium tooth cardstock paper, min 80lb, but I think this is closer to 100lb. I’ve started doing ghost prints of pics of my pencil sketches. I run fine tooth card through the printer on grayscaled settings to cut down on smudge and get more vibrant colors. Although I didn’t do that on this piece, I’m really appreciating the advantages of this technique, being that I’m a heavy handed sketcher.

I start with H grade pencils, erase with polymer eraser as I add base color and neutral alcohol marker layers, outline as needed with pen, and then blend and shade with the markers while adding gel ink for details.

Lately I’ve been borrowing my wife’s Master’s Touch markers, since I can’t find my stash of like 80 Prismacolor markers since I stopped using them at work in mid '21 (they didn’t live at the office, so I’m sure they’re in a box in the “Room of Requirement”).

So I’m not getting the full tonality that I want, but they work alright. The MT marker blend isn’t as consistent, but I do like that they have neutral grays in addition to cools and warms.

One big change since I started drawing fluffies was changing from Pitt pen markers to opaque Sakura gel. It’s more like being able to put thin oil layers on top, which has yielded some fun results~

@Huggies4Buggies @WildeFaun @Fluffus @Mister_K @AmbitiousLeather8309 @Kazetta_the_Alien

Just wanted to give everyone thanks for the compliments and concerns~ Luckily things are working positively, and I’m pretty thankful for that :martinidrink:

I have some more art I’ve been holding off of finishing for a few months (specifically one I started with/for @Goomy), but I’m up for additional suggestions if anyone wants ~

4 Likes

Med changes are a “never fun” thing. Take all the time you need.

Also? This is an adorable image!

2 Likes