Birbs Drawing Process [by Birb]

Here is my basic drawing process

First I block out the entire character with some basic shapes

Then slowly add details

I start legs with a big oval to represent the muscle of the leg

Then some triangles with more ovals for the hooves, gives me general idea of pose

Then I block out where the mane will go

Then start inking, I do connect all my lines at first even those that will eventually get covered with a mane

Legs follow my basic shape just with more fluff

Wish I could explain the process here more clearly but I’m known for leaping around between sections of the drawings. Even during lineart I use lots of layers and then merge together at the end so it’s easy to erase lines on parts that may intersect

Finished lineart! (There are foals to add still but to simplify this I decided to just show drawing the mare)

Then the fun part color!!

Now the next part is for those that use procreate and want to know how I do the eyes:

The blotchy tool is my favorite and easy to use. I first cover the eye to give it texture. (Which is on its own layer so I don’t accidentally cover the rest of the eye/face)

Do it until the eyes kind of look like this.

Then I use the light pen to create around the iris

Then I change it to overlay and set it to an opacity of 69% and then add highlights in a different layer

Then tada you have a cute fluffy! I’m off to go finish this drawing now for @Turboencabulator hope you enjoyed my process of drawing! :]

Here is the completed drawing!

22 Likes

informative and the end result is gorgeous!

3 Likes

Oh this is already fantastic. :smiley:

3 Likes

Step #1: draw shapes

Step #2: draw the rest

I wish I was even half as talented as you all.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s how my drawing process goes for the most part :joy:

And I don’t think I’ve seen your art but I bet you draw very nice! I’d always be willing to give some tips and tricks if you ever need!

2 Likes

Ahhh thank you!

3 Likes

My sad attempts. This is why I write.
(This is Bucky, the one I had you draw for me with Lillian)

4 Likes

Wait but this is super cute? I love how chubby they came out

2 Likes

Maybe I’ll try again one day.

2 Likes

Seriously expected /r/restofthefuckingowl content. Was pleasantly disappointed, thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

And bookmarked!

4 Likes

I thought about it because it would be funny, but also wanted to be helpful :joy:

4 Likes

Everyone starts somewhere!

4 Likes