Burnie-Pals

Partially inspired by https://fluffy-community.com/t/when-x-pal-started/ and party foals like this: https://fluffy-community.com/t/party-foal-preparation-the-agony-presence/

What if there were a fluffy specially grown or dipped in a chemical bath that’s allowed to dry so, when they are thrown in a fire, it makes the fire change all sorts of colors?

9 Likes

@iFluffybooru didnt you come up with a similar idea? Maybe you can talk about it here.

2 Likes

Quick note, I am actually, literally, a chemist.

I’d like to introduce you to the world of salts. Many different salts will cause differently colored flames generally speaking the salts that will be interested in here are going to be water soluble meaning you could functionally just dip a fluffy in a solution of the salt and water and then let it dry, perhaps repeatedly for a stronger coloration of flame. Either way, you’d want to use a saturated solution, which just means you’ve dissolved as much of the salt as you can at that temperature and no more will dissolve. If you wanted to go further all out you could then after dipping it in the solution, rub the dry salt onto the fluffy which would add extra extra salt into this now very colorful, screaming fire.

As for the colors, boron salts will give you a ghostly green. In this case you could also just dip it in boric acid which May eventually cause irritation, but it’s not the kind of acid that just instantly dissolves stuff. It’s much weaker than that.

Lithium salts will give you a reddish flame. Sodium will give you a yellowy flame and potassium will give you a purplish flame.

So for these if I was doing it, I would use a chloride salt of each of these. So sodium chloride potassium chloride and lithium chloride just because those are relatively easy to handle. If you’re writing a story about it, they would in large part act and look like table salt, at least for the purposes of handling them dry. Boron trichloride however, is a hazardous gas at room temperature. So for the purposes of a story I would recommend using a solution of boric acid in water and just say they got it from the store or something.

Finally, if you made a supersaturated solution of these salts, you could grow crystals on the fluffy by dipping it in the solution this would probably be rather uncomfortable for the fluffy provide long lasting colors in a flame and also your fluffy just has kind of small, kind of flimsy crystals on it.

Now, in order to make a supersaturated solution, what you do is you bring the water to boiling and dissolve as much as you can and then very carefully allow the water, now in a very clean scratch-free container to cool down to room temperature. Once it’s at room temperature, any nucleation site, such as a scratch in the container, dust particles, or a fluffy, will cause the excess solute or in this case salt to crystallize out or precipitate.

Theoretically, if you did it right, you could probably grow crystals in the lungs of a drowning fluffy

13 Likes

Ah, always wonderful to have an on-site chemist. Quite informative.

3 Likes

Like I’m going to pass up a chance to talk about chemistry in the context of fluffies. No way in hell.

In all seriousness though, I got you guys covered. :wink:

(Also, if anyone’s writing a fluffy store and you have a chemistry question for it, feel free to DM me)

7 Likes

Also, if you guys do want the kind of stuff that will instantly dissolve and decompose almost anything organic, what you’re actually looking for is what chemists call hot piranha solution. It is a solution of concentrated hydrogen peroxide and sulfuric acid and it does this to most organic things:

7 Likes

I love this community’s diversity of professions and passions.

2 Likes

/immediately hears NileRed
Lmfao. That fuckin guy. Lol

3 Likes