Dagan by (that1hugboxer)

Odis rests gently against your chest ,cradled by the chest mounted baby carrier he pendulums between the dreamscape and waking world. Arriving at the fluffy sanctuary you steady yourself for what waits beyond its doors. Usually the volunteers didn’t call you unless it was urgent ,for them to contact at 4:30 am was a serious cause for alarm. You could barely get any details out of them during the call other than that someone dropped off a fluffy hybrid that they had no idea how to care for. You woke up all of your fluffies and put out food and water for them, telling them that you had to go to work early this morning was simpler than explaining what an emergency was. A volunteer ushers you into the building where the other volunteers are desperately trying to keep a fluffy from submerging their head beneath the water line of the tank they were currently floating in.

The fluffy begged for the staff to let them go under the water line. “Pwease nice hooman wet babbie swimie ! Babbie need wahwah!”The foal was barely old enough to be a talkie baby. He had hooves in the front and flippers in the back. A crest like fin ran from the top of his head to the tip of his tail. The volunteer who led you into the building introduced himself as Sam . She explained that the foal seemed to be incapable of keeping self from drowning when fully submerged yet would dry out and be unable to breathe when fully removed from the tank. You give Sam a look of confusion.

“How is this even possible? I didn’t think that sea fluffies could successfully mate with regular fluffies.”

Sam gives you a very serious look.

“Normally they can’t but some jackass breeder took that as a challenge!”

You tell Sam to keep him stable while you contact someone. You manage to get Zoey vanderholt on the phone and she walks you through the process of examining the foal through video chat.

“I need you to check his gills .”

Sam explains that the foal has no gills. Zoey responds with a stomach churning rebuttal.

“He has gills. He wouldn’t have survived birth if he didn’t. Someone either sewed or glued them shut.”

After much closer inspection it was found that his gills had been sealed using surgical adhesive making them almost invisible to the naked eye. Zoey told us to stay calm and wait for her to arrive. The next hour ticked by at what felt like a snail’s pace as you waited for Zoey to arrive. The foal grew increasingly more distressed with each passing minute. The sound of a car pulling up broke the tension. Zoey enters the building and without so much as an introduction orders the volunteers to bring her some soaking wet towels. Zoey places the foal on a table with the towels spread out. Zoey’s tone becomes soft and gentle as she talks to the foal.

“Hey little guy. I’m sorry that you’ve had such a scary day. I’m here to help make you feel better. The medicine I’m about to give you is going to make you fall asleep . When you wake up not only will you feel better but you’ll get to have some nice warm skettie sauce.”

The mention of skettie made the foal’s ears perk up. He took the medicine without a moment’s hesitation. Less than a minute later he was out cold. Zoey spent the next hour and a half carefully moving her scalpel along the sealed creases of the foals gills until each one was freed . With a sigh of relief Zoey filled a tiny ramekin with a cereal spoons worth of warm spaghetti sauce from a thermos and waited for her patient to wake up . The foal woke up in a groggy haze.

“Tummy nu feew good. Babbie nu wan sketti”

Zoey smiles telling the foal that he can eat it later. Zoey stays by the foal’s side over the next couple of hours as he comes out of the stupor.because his body was so small compared to an adult fluffy she gave him far less of the sleeping medicine and thus it would pass through his system in about 6 hours versus the usual 12 hours. When the medicine finally left his system Zoey reheated the spaghetti sauce and the foal gleefully ate it. Around that time the front doors opened and in walks a woman wearing a puffy black jacket, purple leather miniskirt, black and white striped stockings and knee high goth boots . piercings ran the entire circumference of both her ears , a black and white checkered newsboy hat sat backwards atop her clean shaven scalp. Her eyes lit up the moment she saw the foal. The foal looks up at the woman and gasps happily. “Mumma!?” The woman thanks you, the volunteers and Zoey before kissing the foal on the head.

“I’m so sorry for the trouble I’ve caused you. My now ex boyfriend decided to pull this stunt because he felt like little Dagan here was taking too much of my attention away from him. It took me quite awhile to get the information out of that wuss.”

Zoey skeptical of the woman’s claim, asked her how she acquired a hybrid fluffy.

“Little Dagan was a custom order that the buyer backed out of at the last minute. My breeder friend offered to let me keep him .”

Zoey still wasn’t buying it and requested some proof from the woman. The woman pulled up her social media account on her phone which was filled with posts about her, her now ex boyfriend and a little hybrid sea foal named Dagan.
The profile was under the name Tammy Grail . Satisfied by the presented evidence Zoey was more than willing to return Dagan to Tammy, Even giving Tammy her number should she have any fluffy related emergencies in the future. And just like that the whole ordeal came to a close. You then go to the onsite SBS nursery and begin your day proper.

14 Likes

<3

Dagan in this context is referring to the philistine god whose name is sometimes romanized as Dagon . A deity with the upper body of a man and the lower body of a fish . Because most people recognize Dagon from the work of hp lovecraft I figured I’d use the alternate spelling to differentiate it from the being a direct reference to lovecraft despite them being the same god in both cases . I understand that this is meaningless to most people but I felt it necessary to explain regardless

2 Likes

You made a seahorse.

1 Like

Technically a kelpie but seahorse is an apt description

IMG_2696

1 Like