Do Plug-And-Play Prompts Lower Overall Creativity?

1 Like

Fair enough.

1 Like

I agree with @GreaverBlade and @SqueakyFriend sometimes you just need a push, and adoptables can help you with that.
I don’t always like adoptables but occasionally one comes along that really fires up the creativity.

2 Likes

Well I’m certainly cowed by the authority of someone with the sense to come on a site for discussion, start a discussion, and then demand no discussion. Showed me.

What he wanted was for everyone to leave their opinions, though. Surprisingly, while you’ve replied to the opinions of others, you have not actually given your own - which gives off the image that you’re looking for arguments (which he asked kindly to avoid) instead of discussion.

Makes me a bit curious actually. What are your opinions on the adoptable matter?

2 Likes

Fair. I guess I don’t understand the dislike much, and that’s why I sound argumentative. I genuinely don’t see what it matters, or even how it could matter. I need to know what the practical concerns might be before I feel the least bit bothered, and thus far I have no practical concerns.

What do I care if other people have imaginary pets I never see? People being concerned about others’ creativity and expression when it doesn’t target or harm anybody in the least is for prudes and squares.

Disapproving of people getting into having these pretend pets because it won’t benefit others in the fandom is also… confusing. Are we under some obligation to enjoy fluffy pony in a certain way? And only publicly? Will we be judged for doing otherwise? Am I supposed to think of myself as under some kind of contract if I get an adoptable, to put it in some work or be labeled a parasite?

That ain’t fun for anybody but would-be gatekeepers. What’s the point?

1 Like

for a lot of us, the pathos behind fluffy art is commentary on trendy breeds, animals abandoned after holidays, Instagram puppy litter hype, etc.

it seems deeply antithetical to the whole schema to recreate the cycle of trendy, instantly forgotten companions. regardless of whether they’re real its reinforcing a way of thinking about living things as commodities

it’s like if you set up an art group around recovering from gun trauma and someone posted a 30 part story from the perspective of a school shooter

2 Likes

Those are very fair questions!

When it comes to the “not using adoptable” concern, I believe it has to do with a kind of… thievery, I suppose? Since multiple people can be interested in an adoptable, if someone grabs it without planning to ever use it, the others who wanted it can feel gypped. Think of it like when you try to register a username and it turns out someone else has it, but said someone else is a lurker who hasn’t posted even once since they made their account.

For example, some time ago I grabbed an adoptable purely because I suspected it may get a follow-up picture of it dead in the snow otherwise. I couldn’t think of anything to do with it though, and quickly found that another user had also wanted it. I felt bad about grabbing it when I had nothing to use it for, so I ended up giving ownership to that other person.

It’s a unique kind of feeling compared to a self-made OC or a gift, because those could never have been given to someone else. Other than perhaps the adoptable’s creator, nobody would logically fuss over what anyone else does (or doesn’t do) with their new fluffy, but the person who adopted said fluffy can feel awkward about it.

In essence, I don’t think it’s people disapproving of others, but of themselves.

Personally I just think they make for funny slapstick. Commentary on real-life is everywhere else in real-life, watching weird toddler horses eat glue and blow up is where it’s at.

2 Likes

That you went straight for the top shelf to grab that particular comparison makes me sure you’re employing hyperbole very hard, and yet I still can’t bring myself to care. People in a fandom making art or stories I don’t enjoy? Not noteworthy. Welcome to enjoying anything on the internet.

Other people doing other things doesn’t compromise your art, does it? And if it does, why?

@SqueakyFriend I get your point actually. Maybe it’s just because I’m used to seeing creative people screwed over all the time, but basically unless someone gives you a written guarantee that they’ll do… something with these adoptables, the people trading them should have no expectations of further contact. Not anymore than you would letting somebody walk away with a fluffy pony you’re trying to move.

Why would someone adopt an imaginary foal and then never do anything with it? I don’t know. But I don’t suffer from not knowing, either.

1 Like

The first time I saw anything of you, it was you taking the bait on a troll post. Ironic.

Further irony comes from the this being one of the few posts in which I’m trying to be cognizant of the sentiments of the community and you use it as grounds to be a massive faggot.

Thank you, everyone else, for actually following directions.

@staff you may close this thread at earliest convenience.

1 Like

Sheesh, why not throw in a “Huu huu!” to underline it?

Sure.

Are you sure closing it is necessary? The only difference between a thread without arguing and a thread with arguing is that instead of getting a list of everyone’s opinions you will get a dialog chain that ultimately lead to one opinion. As long as it’s a good sport, is it realy a problem?

I figured I had enough to work with to write this thing when I get the time.

If you feel it’s better to leave it up for any future input then let it rock.

Depends on the writer and whether or not they’re lazy or just in it for a circle jerk

I don’t think adoptables lower creativity. If anything, I’d say they foster them. That said, I don’t go for many adoptable posts because I already have a lot of my own ideas I need to work on, and I can’t immediately think of an idea to work for a fluffy even if I like the design of the fluffy.

I’d say this makes sense. Its also why I haven’t gone for a lot of adoptables just yet. For instance, I adopted an aquafluffy because there was a stories I could tell with an aquafluffy. But that doesn’t mean I can come up with stories for all kins of other fluffies.

I’d like to get @Gal-with-pastels thoughts on the matter, as she has made a lot of adoptables.

I don’t think there has or should be any one particular way fluffies should be viewed and/or enjoyed. As somebody who did research into how the whole fandom started, and how its evolved over the time, fluffies started out as funny meme. Yes, I agree that fluffies made for a good parody/satire of the MLP fandom that spawned it, but some people also just enjoy fluffies for being silly things. And there are also people who just enjoy fluffies purely for the sake of being cute and doing cute things.

1 Like

I simply make adopts as a way to come up with interesting designs. and yes i do think they are adorable, cute and can light up someones day

The only real reason i added a certain rule was actually due to me making my first batch of adopts and a majority of them being taken by lurkers that i don’t think have even made anything yet. I mean imagine you make something , only for someone to toss it into a fire.

3 Likes

If that’s the restriction you want to put on someone claiming your adoptables, for whatever that claim is worth between you and the adopter, I wish you good luck.

1 Like

I guess if you want another opinion thrown to the pile is that these “plug-and-play” wouldn’t be the first thing that come in my mind that “lower overall creativity”

3 Likes

There is a way to insure the usage. Meet Ragequit

As you can see, she isn’t a simple adoptable. She is a prise, which was won by @ArisenLeaf and since then were used in quite a lot of his works. By finding someone who among all others could use the tool he was provided with in the most creative way, the chance of her usage skyrocketed. Obviously you can’t hold a competition for every single adoptable, which means that all @Gal-with-pastels need to do, is ask “what story do you plan to write with it?”, and give it to the first guy who doesn’t say “i don’t know yet”

2 Likes