Do Plug-And-Play Prompts Lower Overall Creativity?

Adoptables, headcanon adoption, and so on. Anything along these lines that may generate some kind of opinion.

General thread for people to share what they’re thinking. I’ll read the responses later to see if I can’t extrapolate a census. Might use it as data for a future wiki entry.

Try not to get into arguments.

It had to be written.

2 Likes

Some of us have been interested in doing something other than lurking but don’t have the mental bandwidth to come up with our own starting point, and an adoptable would be JUST the thing.

4 Likes

Hmm, I’d say… It’s a bit give-and-take.

It can be difficult to use an adoptable for a long or intricate story. They come with their own little backstories and genres, after all, so you’re often limited in what you can do. If you grab an adoptable from a loving hugbox setting/creator, it just ends up weird and awkward to do abuse with it right? So in that regard, they stifle your options and thus your creativity.

However, a common thing I’ve seen on the adoptable posts is “I have so many ideas for this particular fluffy, I must have it”. Not to mention those who get an adoptable/gift and instantly draw fanart of it. In that regard, the adoptables actually increase creativity, as they provide a good starting point for people who can’t pin down their ideas or struggle with writer’s block etc.

In summary: While they’re not conductive to complex or long stories, adoptables can spark more short stories and fluffy art where there would have been none. They’re like a walking stick - nothing you need if you can walk fine, but good for those who need that bit of extra help.

5 Likes

Agreed. Honestly, coming up with original stuff is hard and tiring. When you work or are otherwise busy that mental energy is harder to come by. I’ve been in a creative drought myself for a while now for fluffies and now recently role playing games.

It’s a tool. And frankly, for some people a coloring book is creative enough, especially when taken in context of their normal lives. It all has its place.

2 Likes

I’d say that it’s a 50/50 situation when it comes to adoptables.

The pros:

• more poneh art is always nice
  • getting a character who already has a hint of personality and backstory can give a writer the spark needed to create a short story around them
  • having one of their adoptables be featured in a good story might provide a reason to the original artist to dip their toe into writing one themselves, after seeing their character can be part of a decent-to-great textpost

The cons:

• adoptable art becomes stale quickly, with people such as myself just skipping the post entirely, as there is “no meat on the bone”, if you will
  • as @SqueakyFriend said, grabbing an adoptable from a hugbox artist because you fell in love with their design and using said character in an abuse piece kinda feels like a dick move, regardless of the fact you now own it
  • getting the character into an ongoing story can range from being tricky to being outright impossible: if I adopted an Alicorn and my current storyline involves a herd smushing all “munstah babbehs”, I’d have to have the herd act out of character/have the adoptable smushed, which is not good

When it comes to headcanon, I feel that it’s an entirely different beast.

People might like the original concept of the fluffy drowning if water is mentioned. Others might find that boring and, from a literary standpoint, heckin’ useless.

I myself reject widely accepted and used canons like the god-forsaken Biotoy trope, the Cleveland Incident and fluffies being utterly useless at doing anything but somehow still managing to breed like rabbits, to the point of sometimes becoming an ecological disaster, despite the fact they can’t forage for food and drown in puddles.

But I also dislike superfluffies (outside of a fantasy/sci-fi overall theme) and usually lose interest quickly when a swirly eyed dolt wipes out the entire fluffy population of Uganda by themselves with a Smoking Sexy Style Combo Counter, any% No Hit Speedrun.

Which boils down to “I like works more grounded in reality (word used loosely) rather than slapstick comedy or normal worlds with random dystopian elements”.

In short, I think that as long as you keep the “core” elements of what makes a fluffy a fluffy more or less intact, Headcanons aren’t bad per se.

Love for sketties, huggies, babbehs and love. General physical weakness and limited mental capacity. Overall extremely gullible and afraid of water and darkness. You know, the usual stuff.

4 Likes

I mean that sounds like a conclusion you’ve reached without evidence and now want others to justify for you. But whatever, I do the same thing all the time!

Adoptables are fine within reason.
As long as the creators strive to create something interesting and avoid cookie cutter, low effort doppel-fluffs, then it can be a great way for someone to start a new story or piece of art if they’re struggling to create a new fluffy character.

And as for Headcanon and the adopting of other’s ideas, I think that’s the better way to absorb the fandom and find out what you personally like about fluffies. Many within the hobby, myself included, are quite new and weren’t around for it’s conception. We’ve had to make sense of these strange creatures using the tools we were given, namely the art and stories of those before us.
Trying to decipher what is 100% correct/incorrect about fluffies is like a game of Telephone that has been going on for nearly a decade. The message has become so warped and distorted that decoding what it was to begin with is nearly impossible.

3 Likes

Maybe it doesn’t matter what it was, and a creator should be more concerned with what it can be.

There is also a problem of getting an adoptable fluffy and never using it

2 Likes

Why does somebody have to “use” it? It’s all pretend.

The purpose of an adoptable is to be used as a foothold for a story. What’s the point of 3 adoptable fluffies i own (real btw) if no one knows about them because i never use them?

1 Like

That was what I was getting at.

1 Like

Yeah.

I for one have an adoptable foal waiting in line for me to move my arse and push out some other content so I can get on with their story.

1 Like

Having been gifted some adoptables for abuse I think it’s a greaT way to overcome an artists/writers block. I also use prompt/generators quite often for my non fluffy works. I’d say sqeaukyfriend nailed it with their summary too

3 Likes

I’ll say that derivative work can be just as expansive as something entirely original. Since I just read it, @Oculusfluffy’s sizable work with Avocado is a great example. Those stories are largely inspired by the limited narrative drawn for a selection of works by @Carpdime. While Avocado and the daycare serve as the foundation and plot points of the story, the overall narrative is something much larger and robust.

Tabletop RPG players work in this kind of fiction all the time. They are granted a set of traits and abilities that define a character (classes, races, skills, etc), which are effectively just storytelling prompts. Having some structure in place from another source doesn’t necessarily diminish the end result.

4 Likes

It’s a pretend chimera-horse, you’re not under contract to do anything with it

than why own it in the first place? especially since someone else could probably have a better use for it

My dude.

I’m trying to get actual input in order to help make a guide for content creation.

State your opinion and get the fuck out. It’s literally that easy.

I don’t need a debate.

1 Like

you asked for a debate the momment you asked for an opinion from more than 1 person at a time

1 Like

For fuck’s sake I wrote don’t argue in the first post.

1 Like