Elenore, chapter 1. (Julie)

My brother encouraged me to post this as a chapter 1 to a story i have in mind. do tell me what you think i’d love to see where people think it’ll go. this was a 3am ‘couldnt sleep’ inspired story, so, i hope you all enjoy.

When I was about 4, my mother told me someone special would be joining us. It was recently after my dad passed, so I was excited. I was told Elenore would be coming soon. I didn’t understand, but mom said I’d have a younger sister and that excited me. As the months went by, her belly swelled up. She bought a crib, painted the spare room, and bought little toys. Everything. Mama told me I would need to be a good big sister and help her with Elenore. I promised her I would. When my 5th birthday passed we celebrated, her, me, and a party hat on mama’s belly for Elenore.
I didn’t understand why Elenore was inside mama but that didn’t matter. Until…

One day mama couldn’t stop crying, blood was everywhere in the bathroom, I had no clue what was going on… She called a friend to watch me as she was rushed to the hospital by a coworker. When she came back she was a wreck, crying for days…
She started drinking. I had never seen my mother in such a state before, and whenever I asked about Elenore she’d always say “She’s coming baby… Mama just needs time…” I never understood what that meant…
One day, she went out, promising to be back. It was hours, the first time I had been alone for so long. The tv was on so i sat and watched it, played with my toys, made a mess, cried a bit, i didn’t know what was going on or why mama left. But, just as it was starting to get dark I heard the door creek open, I yelled and ran to the door hugging my mama’s legs tightly. Her eyes were puffy and red, patting me on the head and carrying in a cardboard box. She closed the door behind her and walked with me to the living room. I thought I was gonna be scolded for the mess but she didn’t say anything, just placed down the box and slowly knelt down to open it. I sat by her, peering into the box that said Flufftopia. And, inside was a little purple thing, a big bow on her neck. Mama slowly picked her up and placed her down, moving the box. She shifted a bit and yawned, opening her eyes and looking around in awe.
“We home mama?..” She asked looking up at my mom.
“Yes Elenore, we’re home.” My mom said softly. I happily hugged my sister and squealed out a “Elenore!”
My baby sister was finally home. She wrapped her short, stubby, fluffy arms around my neck, or tried to as I hugged her. “Ewenowe am happy tu be home tuu!” she said just as excited as i was.
The crib was changed out after a few days, and the mattress stayed but was decorated with the sheets and little blankets. A strange box was put in the bathroom that mama said Elenore needed to use due to being too small. She ate food with us, normally it was cut to small bits for her by mom, or made to a paste in the blender. I still needed my food cut up but not as small as she did. Mama said she was really scared of Elenore choking. I assumed babies choked easily on things. We would play dress up, and block towers, pass a ball back and forth, and play pretend. We loved watching Tv, though i didn’t know how to use the remote so i had to ask mom who always put on Nickelodeon. I started school at 6, and loved playing with Elenore when I got home. I told her the stories of what other kids did with their siblings and we played those games. Though she stunk at catch, but that was ok.
One day I got curious and walked to my mama while Elenore was sleeping, just before bed time. She was knitting a scarf for me for winter, and I had to ask.
“Mama, what color was my fluff?”
“What?..”
“Elenore has fluff, and one day it’s gonna fall out right? What color was mine?” I asked, it seemed like a straightforward question to me. But it stumped her, she looked upset.
“Um… blue, like your father’s eyes.” She said after hesitating
“Was it pretty like Elenore’s?”
“… yes, very pretty.” Mama said before looking down at her knitting, something was on her face, at the time i didn’t understand but it was guilt.

41 Likes

Wow, what a happy and emotionally healthy family.

I’m sure glad they have a strong system for working through emotional trauma and nothing bad is going to happen to them as a result.

13 Likes

Goddamn, this is bittersweet. Can’t wait to see what happens next.

4 Likes

Well, this was very unexpected.

VERY GOOD JOB!

I like it. You don’t even need to do a part 2, this is a very good short story as is.

6 Likes

This is a really interesting idea and I loved reading about it. If everyone wrote as well as you this place wouldn’t be in a massive downward spiral.

Honestly, I’m not sure where you could go with a chapter two of this. Not to say you shouldn’t give it a try, just don’t be afraid to let this be a self-contained thing if you can’t come up with anything.

Good shit.

5 Likes

This reminded me of another story where a woman with children treats their fluffy like a spoiled child, but this one seems to be taking a darker twist. Plus the illustrations help a lot with the immersion. Hope to see more!

3 Likes

This was fantastic. And I agree, it could easily stand as a one and done, allowing the reader to imagine what happens later.

3 Likes

This is really creative and imaginative. I am looking forward to the next entry.

4 Likes

I’d like to see where this goes.

4 Likes

Woah, this is so dark and good

5 Likes