Ever wondered what happened to the people who "made" fluffies in the first place?

Fluffies are artificial biotoy, meaning that they are man-made. And if they are man-made, it also means that a lot of people had been making fluffies (including scientists that made and experiment the genetic, hasbio’s executives that funded the project and other associatied) during the past. After the fluffies went public, this lead to a question: what happened to them? Did they felt proud of their creation or embarassed of them? What are their public’s reputation? And what are they opinion on how fluffies treated now?

5 Likes

Well, conveniently I’m writing a story about experimentation with fluffies, and without giving away too many spoilers, something will be mentioned about the original team that created the original prototypes that PETA released, so sooner or later I will talk about them. :wink:

5 Likes

In my cannon, they are long dead.

3 Likes

Do they have descendants or family relatives that are still alive?

Non issue in my canon. They died in the same explosion/fire that freed fluffies in the first place.

2 Likes

Probably got Epstein’d after people saw what fluffies did to the environment, food chain, economy, etc…

Seriously, logistically speaking, how exactly would a real society cope with that much shit on a regular basis?

3 Likes

Nice

1 Like

Life in prison without the possibility of parole

I can imagine a few were out right killed by angry environmentalist, farmers and parents who kids got sick from the new virus that sprang up for awhile that they carried.
Others probably got work with Hasbio’s competitors making puffy-griffins, sea fluffs and other sub-species. Some probably couldn’t find work at all after such a fiasco. Others may have gotten into black market splicing and tailoring of fluffies for big bucks.

1 Like

How about you write us a story about it, what do you think happened. It’s an interesting idea and would be a shame if you just handed it out without doing anything with it.

1 Like

Could be, but they would never know. Its kept a secret to be forgotten

In my main timeline, Hasbio managed to stay afloat since fluffies became an unexpected success despite their premature release by the PETA raid.
Hasbio kind of just floated along after that until Mattel Bio introduced fuzzies, and Hasbio had to fix fluffies enough to compete with them (nothing too drastic; I have a post explaining more about it).

In my alternate timeline, it’s more complicated, since Hasbio was liquidated by Hasbro and fluffies were a complete failure after the PETA raid.
Some of the scientists might’ve been kept and moved to Hasbro’s advanced robotic pets division.
As for the executives, they were definitely fired. They would’ve been blamed for not installing proper security measures. Whatever happened to them after that probably wasn’t anything good.
Low-ranking associates were safe since they didn’t have much to do with anything.
(So for example, Joe Schmoe the executive would’ve been fired, but his new intern Jane Doe would’ve just been reassigned somewhere else.)

1 Like

eaten alive by an escalator

realistically they were designed by committee. in the actual experimentation and production phase i’m sure there was a lead on the team assigned to create them but barring that i imagine they resumed their lives as employees of hasbio/changed careers/got headhunted and joined a rival firm/retired/died

I would imagine that some of the scientists that made the fluffies would be given job opportunities at rival biotoy manufacturers if they were layed off from the whole PETA fiasco

There were only a handful of scientists who were in charge of the project.

Underneath them were hundreds of scientists, and thousands before them. These scientists worked in isolated groups under different project names and were sometimes given fake “goals” as to obfuscate the true nature of their work even to themselves.

This means that after the fall of HasBio the majority of scientists who were employed didn’t have enough individual knowledge to really reveal any of the mysteries behind how fluffies were originally made.

Even if you gathered 20 of them, each from a different cell, they would have no way of knowing if what they were working on was functioning or if it was even real, so there’s next to no danger of them gathering to make a “new” fluffy.

On top of this there are NDAs and the possibility that even though HasBio was functionally “dead” as a BioTech company it still had a very powerful presence behind the scenes.

It has been rumored that those top scientists were sent to live in exile with their secrets, and that HasBio pays them well to stay hidden.

Others were recruited by the military or other private organizations. Even a scientist in charge of creating “fluffy eyeballs” has some worth to a company that hasn’t figured out how to do it yet.

In between these groups are scientists turned TV show guests, tell-all authors, and private researchers aka “hobbyists”.

I always imagined that they just searched out new jobs, some of them silently dropping Hasbio from their LinkedIn (but unlikely all because despite the disaster engineering fluffies is still an amazing feat, and it’s not like the early release is their fault), which probably isn’t hard for someone with a PhD in genetics and research experience even if their resume’s got a gap.

The question would be an interesting story topic for a more human drama or tragedy, set in the fluffyverse but not primarily focused on individual fluffies.

1 Like

I’ve read a fair few stories where characters who worked on the project encounter what they are partially responsible for creating with various results from revulsion, embarassment to acceptance.

I think it also depends on the timelines because when fluffies were created seems to vary a bit and some stories are set in the early 22nd century, some in the late 21st, on the odd occasion the early 21st century so it varies whether anyone would be alive as well.

The various labs that created “made” fluffies all varied around the globe some labs had better results than others. However when the leak happened most of these labs went into private business and became “designer firms” many of the more prominent labs actually managed to create a “finished” fluffy project.

What exactly is the explanation about the how fluffies are an ecological disaster?
I’ve seen people say this since 2017, but I never found an explanation of how it came to be part of the community canon.

Is it from the Cleveland stories? I never got around to reading those…

I’ve just accepted it as a general part of the lore.

They die very easy, and the outside world is full of dangers they weren’t built to deal with. Cars, poisonous berries, hawks, etc… so they undoubtedly die constantly, meaning streets are littered with technicolor corpses, which rot and get loaded with disease and bacteria.
Not only that but other animals like rats will be drawn to eat them, meaning not only are there corpses everywhere, but now there’s rats everywhere too.

Plus, there’s the sheer population. They breed so fast and produce such large litters, and even travel in herds, so if you see one fluffy, there’s probably about 10-20 you’re not seeing.
One fluffy walking into Farmer Joe’s fields and eating some of his crops isn’t too bad, but when it’s an entire herd stomping through his vegetation and tearing up his carrots and lettuce? Yeah, no way, Farmer Joe’s livelihood is ruined.

And last but not least, the shit.
These things shit constantly, and there’s no litter-box outside, meaning even the best-trained fluffies will eventually just start dropping turds wherever they go. On the streets, on the roads, in rivers, on plants… once more, bacteria will get everywhere, the stink will be awful, if a speeding vehicle hits a slippery wet fluffy turd then it’s probably going to careen out of control and crash.
Plus drinking water will be completely tainted, making it unusable for the entire population due to the volume of shit that’s been dumped into it.

I’ve never read the Cleveland stuff either but it just makes sense. These things are abominations indoors, imagine what it’d be like having millions of them outdoors…

1 Like