Fluffmart Friends (ESF)

The two that are visible in the 25 cent box? Yeah, the person who had them put there is an idiot. Those are much more valuable in my opinion than the pink and purple colored ones. Maybe the brown splotchy one hugging the ball doesn’t have the best tail and mane–but the other one is great milk chocolate and cream-easy 20 bucks.

4 Likes

Def don’t go in an abuse direction.

I feel like too often hugbox is just abuse/sadbox deferred (at least in my headcannon where humans are, at best, indifferent towards the plight of fluffies). It’d be nice to see fluffies beat the odds and live their full natural lifespan and have a life of huggies and joy.

Ps. That pic is amazeballs adorable. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

is this already a value loss?

I smell social commentary, ESF… Will this story go anywhere? :-] I can see this becoming quite tragic eventually. These fluffies are so cute. I like your trademark splotches on fluffies.

1 Like

I’m not usually a brown crusader or anything but the patterning on those two, oml, I would snag them in a fucking heartbeat. They’re adorable!

2 Likes

But as soon as you tell them why the little pretty ones will get all high and mighty. Besides, it’s in theyre nature to hate brown ones. Leave a house raised fluffy away from all abuse and never teach it to hate brown ones if they have a litter then are starved the mother will on instinct eat or kill the “ugly one” it doesn’t even have to be brown just what the mother sees as ugly. They’re bio-toys, not living creatures.

-from your local Fluffy expert.

Depends on headcanon. Some headcanons have fluffies as animales “marketed as toys”. ALso, poopie hatred was not universal - originally it was only humans who dislike poopies, and poopie hatred only became a part of fluffies later on.

5 Likes

I know I’m late to the party but frankly this is too cute to ignore. What a lovely concept, and so simple at that. Melts my heart.

3 Likes

It’s true! Babbehs don’t hate on their own… Hate is taught by the parents and rest of the herd… When they see the babbehs being treated differently then themselves… Well… Mother is God in the lips and hearts of children… And if God hates them… Then maybe they themselves should hate them…

I’m doing a piece on this idea RN…

And one on Lucy, the herd leader’s backstory…

3 Likes

Soooo damn cute :heart_eyes:

I would think its part of Hasbio programming to self-correct bloodlines and make it easier to breed them with less workers and get around potential future laws that classified them as animals because infanticide is not illegal for animals themselves, which would be immensely strong in the early generations that most comics and stories depict.

But as time goes in, Poopies survive in the wilderness due to the natural camouflage then get adopted by Hugboxers and brought back into domestic breeding population and Hugbox owners wouldn’t let “racist” Fluffies breed, the Fluffies with the strongest programming would be selected out resulting in reduced aversion to Poopies and Alicorns. Enough that they’d have some natural discomfort upon seeing one, which would be overcome by the promise of huggies/pway, and so on.

2 Likes

Of course, this also depends on your canon regarding programming.

I’ve never been comfortable with using the term programming as it sort of begs the question as to how fluffies are programmed, unless its done through hypnosis, really advanced genetic engineering, which then begs the question as to how a society with advanced genetic engineering still looks like the 2010s.

That said, I do see the benefit/preference of having natural horse colour fluffies. Yes, I’d use that term, over “poopie” - I’d rather call a fluffy “bay”, “brown” or “chestnut” instead of just “poopie”

3 Likes

Programming is leftover from when Fluffies was still just satire of Hasbro and the 2000’s crazes for robotic toys. In particular Tamogatchis, Furbies, and especially Dinkies (Tekno Dinkie Robots | Robot Supremacy Wiki | Fandom) which is where the breeder and canned Fluffy concepts came from.

It still remains primarily to explain how one month old animals have a vocabulary of words and phrases they instinctively know without real life context, and provide both justification for Abuse stories (unnatural+destructive+programmed=anything you do is morally fine) or a problem for Hugboxers to overcome (natural aversions/desires that can be beaten with love and education, or at least worked around).

There has never been a concrete logic to it. Some stories try to explain it with lampshade hanging via just saying its magic, resting on “all research notes and developers died in the fire PETA lit so its a mystery”, nanites, or some kind of organic brain bulb that has a copy of all “programmed” information that exists in Fluffy wombs and attaches itself to zygotes to eventually fuse with the brain.

At any rate, naturally Derp Fluffies are generally used as what a Fluffy is without programming.

As for why society is still in the 2010’s, its also up to creators. Some explained it by saying Fluffies are such a famine/plague-spreader that society has stagnated. Others that Fluffies were made somehow in the 1940’s, when real life Hasbro became a toy company, via aliens or secret Cold War technology the US kept secret and Hasbio was allowed to make them in exchange for military research. Others that its just a depressingly capitalistic society to the point that the wonders which can be done with that tech are not because the profit is mostly there for Fluffies and expanding into longevity treatments or designer humans is just seen as a bother or just not a priority (like how Disney shut down Lucasarts then signed a contract with EA Games that heavily favored EA to pump out Star Wars whatever video games due to just not wanting to oversee it). Ultimately its another issue with the satire origins hitting logic.

1 Like

MLP specifically, but sure. And that I agree: it made a lot more sense when it was still within the MLP fandom, as the MLP fans who approached fluffies approached them in a tongue-in-cheek manner. The problem is that the nuance was lost when fluffies sort of left the MLP fandom and attracted more non-MLP watchers.

I actually dispute this, but only because @Carpdime did the first foal-in-a-can picture. Breeder pictures seem more of an offshoot of similar themes from yukkuris/jissos, so its possible that what you said may be true, but it is also possible those fandom had an influence on fluffies. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thats another thing I’ve been uncomfortable with - foals just having an innate vocabulary to begin with. Granted, if fluffies were an actual robot with an in-built CPU and programming language, then yeah, I can live with that, but given that they’re “born” the concept just seems so weird.

For a number of my own stories, I developed a headcanon where fluffies are taught the language, sometimes via television (hence FluffTV). In addition, I wrote that fluffies gad a brain designed to speak a language, and fluffspeak was a simplstic language that they could master the most easily. But of course, thats all my own headcanon. (or rather, one of them, I have a few very different headcanons dependent on story)

End of the day though, it really boils down to how much one sees fluffies as a biotoy or as an animal.

1 Like

I honestly don’t see them as mutually exclusive. You could almost argue domesticated animals to be biotoys. That’s certainly how many cat show breeders, especially those who try and breed them to look like wild large felines, treat them.

Fluffy mills in every work I’ve read are less cruel than some examples of real life factory farms, the fantasy cruelty comes entirely from the Fluffy intelligence. A Fluffy knows he’s been castrated, a breeder mare remembers her young, pillows can beg for the return of their legs. Otherwise, they’re just being treated like chickens/pigs.

The only thing that screams ‘toy’ is their programmed instincts, the desire to hug humans, eat spaghetti, and existential need to have a daddeh/mummah or a Smarty. But even then, you have traces of them making decisions based on that programming. They seek comfort from hugs because its how they are programmed to think healing works, rather than being the top of the chain of if/then/else statements after the first entry. Once they realize the hugs will not work they seek another solution.

The programming does feel like a necessary partner to them having short lifespans and almost immediate growth into adulthood though.

The first time I saw this image, I had a dream where my boyfriend (not real just dream boy) went to get me a fluffy. He picked out the pink one (who was a boy in my dream) but he got really sad when he had to leave his special friend (the brown and white one). So my boyfriend surprised me with 2 adorable fluffies, and we ended up with cute little brown and pink babies

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, but wow, I’m honestly honored to have influenced someone’s /dreams/. That’s crazy.

3 Likes

Yeah, you really did. I even started writing a story about them and their babies. Also, this is one of the cutest Fluffy images I have ever seen.
From, fluffymoth87

2 Likes

Takes the two home

Let them play together.