Fluffy Awareness Class (Not_A_Wise_Man)

38 Likes

do they even know how hard it is to grow tomatos?

9 Likes

This is a university, not a place where you can ask questions!

loadingcat

15 Likes

he is not wrong tho

6 Likes

Universities are the most dogmatic places Iā€™ve ever been. Iā€™ve studied politics for 3 years and made myself an enemy of every teacher that didnā€™t taught us something relating to history.

Iā€™ve had my grades lowered because I disagreed with Kantian philosophy. Iā€™ve had my grades lowered because I disagree with Keynes on economics. Iā€™ve had my grades lowered because Iā€™ve dared being pro nuclear energy rather than solar.

Universities are the new cathedral and teachers are the new vicars of whatever the status quo is.

9 Likes

I would say itā€™s more related to studying politics than the uni itself

4 Likes

@DokutaSuton look the last panel.

2 Likes

I loled with the ā€œSILENCE!ā€ scene :rofl:

3 Likes

I donā€™t know, or Iā€™m not fully sure. Iā€™ve had friends that studied economics, friends that studied engineering and my GF studied medicineā€¦ to become a veterinarian. (Yeah, she knows what I do, sheā€™s from eastern Europe, hating animals is kind of the basis for them there).

Pretty much politics invaded universities and even my friends had the same experience. In economics, well Iā€™d have to make a very long and political discourse about migration and the decreasing wages but Iā€™d rather not bring politics in here.

In engineering (public engineering, building roads, bridges, floodplains) pretty much you have to like the style they present you rather than using the same techniques to produce something else. Letā€™s say they give you 20 bricks and tell you to build a wall. If you place the bricks vertically to build a taller wall rather than horizontally youā€™ll get targeted, but thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been told so take that with a grain of salt.

As for my GF, she just has to repeat all sheā€™s being taught and nothing else.

5 Likes

Bad example because the surface area of a virtual brick is smaller, thus itā€™s less stable
I get your point tho

4 Likes

As someone who has a personal grudge against the educational system, I kinda relate to this.
I remember as a kid, because of the way they taught us about drugs, I got the impression that marijuana, crack, and heroin were pretty much as dangerous as each other.

5 Likes

Well, while I was thinking about that I remembered what he told me when the Notre Dame burnt. Back then there was this huge discussion about building a garden on top of the cathedral, building a minaret or rebuilding it like it was before.

The teachers were all in line with the idea of rebuilding the ceiling with glass and steel rather than stone. Thatā€™s what he told me though and I fully believe it to be possible since teachers here in Italy are pretty much bending backwards to fit in with the new status quo that comes from america. Yeah, american university culture is very dominant here in Italy.

6 Likes

Ohhh I remember that one
Heresy
Impossible
Unspeakable
Heresy

3 Likes

ā€˜This is a university, not a place where you ask questions!ā€™

:joy: If you donā€™t ask questions at university, then where do you ask them.

Nice comic.

I mean when I was at university the professors liked to discuss many things pertinent to the course. Might just be my personal experience though.

2 Likes

Depends.

If you ask questions about a certain subject itā€™s OK.

If you question the subject then it is no longer OK.

Iā€™ll give you an example. In Kantian philosophy there are a few moral imperatives, things YOU ARE FORCED to follow.

One such imperatives is that ā€œthe King (state) can do whatever he wants and the citizens (subjects) have to endure the Kingā€™s wishes.ā€ Paraphrasing of course.

Thus if the King choses to take away your rights or property you have to obey his will.

In my opinion it is bloody dangerous to teach future politicians that the state should have absolute power and everyone should just obey its will. Unfortunately the teacher disagreed with me and I had to take the exam 3 times because I was ā€œthe short haired anti-Kantian smart-assā€.

It was the same when I questioned letting people to fall into poverty in order to improve the quality of life for the middle higher class and so forth.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not going to disagree the professor sounds like a problematic individual. Certainly seems like someone whoā€™s lost his desire to learn, or maybe he never had it to begin with.

2 Likes

Unfortunately thatā€™s the whole institute. The only teachers that arenā€™t like that are the history teachers which seem to be the only ones that enjoy teaching. Sorry in advance. I shouldnā€™t bring politics here and Iā€™m going to refrain from doing it in the future. It just happened that politics and the question of teacher doing a good job is intertwined in my case.

All the other teachers, especially the ā€œrights and lawsā€ subjects are obsessed with the state.

International rights: the states are absolute and if they decide to do something the individual cannot/mustnā€™t try to stop them. For example, the war in Iraq. If you were against state intervention tough luck. Also, every state should give up itā€™s sovereignty to international, unelected bureaucrats like the EU and UN.

Private rights: you have them because the state kindly allowed you to. Pray to the state to keep them.

Public rights: everything should be monitored by the state because citizens are sheep. Parliamentarians are perfect and should never been criticised.

4 Likes

That showed that @Not_A_Wise_Man has indeed been in a University

5 Likes

Hmmā€¦ kind of reminds me of a certain time in recent history where a certain state HAD absolute power.

2 Likes

I reckon many of your teachers are 68ā€™ers/boomers?
The generation that rebelled in their youth only to become 10 x more authoritarian once they got in seats of power.

That being said, I like the professor in this picture. His intention is pure enough, the extermination of the fluffy plague.

4 Likes