Fluffy hooves - questions poised by WRS

IMG_5726

So hey there! It’s come up a bit lately and I found some ridiculous MLP merchandise that got me thinking about fluffy hooves again. It seems we all generally agree they are pillowy/marshmallowy or leathery so basically—soft. But they’re still hard enough to make a tip tapping noise. So. …How? Haha.

Is it like a keratin or nail type surface for that distinctive tip tap and then a soft pad at the bottom of the foot like dogs/cats/etc?

I’m asking because I’ve had a story idea about forcibly degloving a fluffy of their hooves to basically given them “cuter” ones that “match mummeh’s aesthetic”. Lol I especially like the idea of doing it to micros and turning them into little living bonsai ornaments and whatnot. Heh. Doing it as a baby would just be even better since then they have teeny tiny feet and their bones and shit get all messed up.

Apologies if this is kind of a shit post. Been up since 6pst yesterday and it’s uh. 3:53am pst now. lol.

Hit me up with your thoughts! And feel free to bully me about actually writing down any of the content lurking in my head. Haha.

9 Likes

i assume its like a thin plastic or rubber coating, bit like the rubber they put on the bottom on chair so they dont scratch up floors. :shrug:, that would make sense if they were meant to be sold as a product

Ive noticed a trend recently of fluffys hooves squeeking is pressed, not sure if squeeky hooves will catch on but that would be adorable for babbehs :glee: (Cant remember where i first saw examples of it… maybe @Jejjick idk)

4 Likes

I want to run that figurine over with a truck.

As for your question, I haven’t really thought about it myself. Maybe they’re rubbery?

2 Likes

I think it varies from creator to creator. Mine have proper keratin-like hooves, for example, same material as their horn. But mine are also just little horseshoe-shapes on the bottom of the feet, rather than being proper horse hooves.

4 Likes

Depleted uranium

4 Likes

The hooves can’t be like nails or animal hooves or else there would be a need to care for it, and I’ve never seen art of ferals with overgrown hooves.

I’ve always imagined the hooves as being leather with a normal skin pad on the middle that.

The tip tapping does not require hard hooves, you can do it with your soft human fingers.

The squishing sound is just cutesy cartoon nonsense for fun.

2 Likes

As someone who works with leather i think a more leather like approach works because obviously leather is soft but when rounding the edge and stuff (compressing the edge of the material) it becomes sturdy enough to make a tapping sound when knocked against wood or tile, obviously that wouldnt account for sidwalks and roadways, but for that we can consider another idea. hollow bones in their hoves to create a cavity that will echo small sounds.

1 Like

I… assume it can make a tapping noise like my fingertips do? They’re soft but they can still tap stuff.

1 Like

Snips annoys me so much with his big dumb stupid retard face.

The only character from that show who makes me more homicidal is Whoa Nellie.

Regarding hooves… I prefer the Todd Howard approach: it just works, and you had better not question why or how; because if you do, reality will glitch out and you’ll lose all your save data.

5 Likes

I want to fucking disembowel that bitch just from looking at her.

And I like that approach. Daring to question it would make for hilarious weirdbox too. lol

I figure it’s like real horses’ hooves - the hard bit forms a rim around the fleshy bit. Frog (horse anatomy) - Wikipedia Maybe cartilage for the hoofy bit.

2 Likes

My fluffies hooves are regular horse hoof shape and design, but they’re a soft leather. Hard enough to protect them during walking, but soft enough to be pierced through with a sharp object with mild force. I imaging they make a similar sound to dog booties, but not quite.

2 Likes

I always thought of them like soft rubber caps.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Damn! I only just saw this but ffff. That makes a lot of sense! More A+ work from Ambitious, all livin’ up to your name and shit. Lol

1 Like