Fluffy Jobs #5: Beetle Catcher (by Chikahiro)

This one is for @MossyFluff - hope I got it right.

39 Likes

Cool, but it can be considered as part time jobs for them since its only done in summer perhaps another skill for some hotel or pet store fluff.

8 Likes

Talking about how cool they are and what they like to eat and all that in the shops would be a good job!

5 Likes

Never would have thought of this for them. Great work!

3 Likes

I wonder if fluffies would be good at finding Wild Mushrooms/Truffles.

6 Likes

YES. *woody by Caperdine

3 Likes

This is utterly delightful. These specialized fluffs are so specifically Japanese in their use. I can see in their off seasons, like mentioned by @Captain-Obvious and @StoneRouge , that they can be used to find wild mushrooms, edible bamboo shoots, and mountain vegetables. And not to mention that the trained sense of empathy would help it bond with their handler/owner as emotional support animals. Whether it be a matter of scent or sight this is by far the most versatile fluff yet.

5 Likes

Probably. Fluffy’s only really good sense is their sense of smell, so they’d be great for mushroom hunting. You’d probably go through a whole crate of fluffies in training them to not eat poisonous mushrooms, though.

5 Likes

All of these have been set in Japan so far, but yeah, this one specifically wouldn’t be happening in many other places. Initially I was going to do a bug catcher for farmers - remove bug from plant, place into bucket - but it didn’t feel right when I was starting on this.

I think the fluffy jobs need to have or keep a sense of innocence about it, so a job where they’re helping kill something (even if it’s perfectly understandable if not actually necessary) didn’t fit. When brainstorming I even wondered if they’d need to be trained to fight centipedes (Japanese ones give painful bites, iirc, just like the ones here).

Maybe I’ll change my mind later, but for now I think it’s what I and everyone else is enjoying about the series overall.

5 Likes

The ideas for fluffies getting them a degree of safer interaction with the world at large is nice. Getting the thematic setting for them beyond the traditional herd / alley / home dynamic is refreshing.

Through various human related activities, they get to do more than the usual and have a more dynamic life. It’s something I’ve been thinking about for my own stories, that I do want to branch out and get them to be less static in presentation.

4 Likes

Setting them aside to kill or just stomping on them would feel off, but teaching Fluffies to eat some would not be as bizarre.

Fluffies eating grasshoppers and cicadas mainly I would think, or at least scaring the former off.

It would lean into the mix of child innocence and animal instinct.

Maybe teach them to yell at crows, or give them a whistle to blow on. Charging them to drive them off would eventually result in crows gathering and divebombing any Fluffy they see once they realize its a paper tiger, but noise and no physical threat besides cute stomping would likely always scare them off.
They could probably deal with rabbits, but since my mental image of a Fluffy is very rabbit-like I’m not fond of the idea.
Field mice could be chased away, rats might be a danger to the Fluffy although as long as they stay away from the rat nest they should be fine.

A Fluffy’s superior sense of smell and ability to speak could make them superior trackers. Or drug detectors. Or lean into that research on how animals are quick to recognize body temperature, hormone, and respiration changes by keeping a nurseFluff in hospitals to try and catch patients conditions worsening before it is too late.
Maybe cheap pregnancy detectors? Dogs can smell that hormone. Maybe have a service at the free clinic where you can hug a Fluff, and they’ll say if its worth a test kit. Purely in the same way those blood pressure machines work of course, “this device is not a substitute for a doctor” and all.

4 Likes

I want to keep the scale of things within a certain range. So no drug fluffs or cancer sniffers. It’d be cool, but drug fluffs would be admitting to larger issues thus I think losing the innocence and wonder. Cancer fluffs would be the same.

I do have “senior friend fluffs” in the queue. It will be a little sad-ish in context, but there benefits for seniors to have pets. A pet that doctors and family can ask questions to? So much the better.

3 Likes

Hey @Chikahiro , i have a great idea for a fluffy job!

Massager!

Just imagine a soft, fuzzy little fluffypony massaging your back!

But pick those ones, with furr hooves, like bluey and pinkey!

2 Likes

Believe it or not I’ve thought of that! And for an extra $xxx after the massage a bunch of clean, happy fluffies take a nap with you.

2 Likes