Fluffy Jobs #6: Senior Friend by Chikahiro

I’ve been told there are breeds of dog that “need” to have jobs or they get depressed, bored, etc. Domestic fluffies are just there to look cute which isn’t the worst thing, but it seems that having a sense of purpose, a role, isn’t bad either. Feral fluffies will have those within a herd, so how to get domestics something similar? Well, small jobs and chores…

I’ve been sitting on this one just because its the first one with a little bittersweet note. Especially for those of us with aging parents.

Full size as its a little harder to read in the preview: https://fluffy-community.com/uploads/default/original/3X/c/e/ce1b0ccac11138b4a92c5cd56298eb6c8f59c101.jpeg

50 Likes

Reminds me a lot of Lucia’s eventual role as a “seeing-eye” fluffy in Yehdoo’s Sound Steps

6 Likes

I’ll have to look that one up later :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s a very good idea. Having an animal that can more easily communicate and also provide company is great.

7 Likes

This could also help in an emergency. Fluffies could be trained to call for help, or bring medicine if you do a color-code system. Having the mental state of a four year old will hinder what they could do, but overall would be highly valuable.

9 Likes

Yeah. I tend to keep things on the easier side, more playing to their strengths, as opposed to being ambitious. But, my sister in law works retail, and the “service animals” people try to come into the store with are pretty insane. A fluffy would be better than a lot of the fakes.

One lady came in with a little bird saying it was her service animal in case she had a seizure. My sister in law is thinking in her head, “and its going to help you how?”

At least a fluffy could have a little jacket or something with pockets.

8 Likes

And more importantly - a fluffy can talk. I know people like to take the fluffy’s limited intelligence to extreme and absurd lengths, but I’m more interested in fluffies that are trained to identify when an owner is in danger and needs help.

10 Likes

Yeah. A bad manager sets their employee up to fail. In this case its simply watch your friend, feel what you feel (letting the empathy inform them how their friend is doing), and simply tell the truth to the humans. Aside from that? Be a friend.

I had read years ago, and have seen over the years, how having someone (or in this case something) depend on them can help seniors with depression. Then there’s the other health benefits associated with pets (lower stress, blood pressure, etc). So, frankly, this is right up a mature fluffy’s alley. Not something for a foal, weanling, or adolescent. They should be ready and steady for it…

7 Likes

“Gwammah made bad poopies again? Fwuffy no fhat feewing…”

8 Likes

I love this one so much! I volunteered as a senior friend for a while. Some of the most amazing people I’ve met. But weeks I was assigned with an Alzheimer’s, or other neurodegenerative disorder, were rough. Interacting with them made me so sad. It was depressing to see all they had lost. And the really bad cases couldn’t go five minutes without asking who you were and why you were there. :frowning:

Fluffies would make wonderful senior companions. They’d be great at just listening to stories and they would never tire of answering the same questions over and over and over again :hugs:

6 Likes

Thank you @OtherCoraline, that means a lot to me. I’ve got cousins who help with autistic kids and adults in the UK and it’s a lot of work. So much legitimate need, not enough people or funding :frowning:

Thank you for your work :heart:

4 Likes

This is perfect. I could definitely see a fluffy being a great help.

I drew a thing once about a fluffy being an elderly helper while wearing a colostomy bag. Just for giggles and you-know-what

5 Likes

Oh, is that here? I need to look for it!

3 Likes

If it’s not, I’ll reupload it :slight_smile:

“Gwandkids no visit? Dat Otay! Fwuffy wub ou!”

That was the rough version. I’ll look for the nice version.

5 Likes

How did I not say this when it came up: SO AWESOME!

2 Likes