Fluffy Jobs #9: Storytime Friend (by Chikahiro)

I’ve been told there are breeds of dog that “need” to have jobs or they get depressed, bored, etc. Domestic fluffies are just there to look cute which isn’t the worst thing, but it seems that having a sense of purpose, a role, isn’t bad either. Feral fluffies will have those within a herd, so how to get domestics something similar? Well, small jobs and chores…

Full size picture here.

42 Likes

Did anyone else from the US do that Book It thing when they were in school? Read x-many books a month and get a free Pizza Hut pan pizza?

12 Likes

Yup, I never got it because I was too lazy (I could read and understand stuff fine I just didn’t want to for some reason), I’m still upset with child me.

5 Likes

This is a cool idea.

4 Likes

Thank you! I had a few suggestions I was considering doing but had this idea and wanted to do it first.

4 Likes

These are the most trained and actually smarter than normal fluffies. Tandem learning more in language, both child and fluffy show each other support for learning. By the time the fluffy is a “senior citizen”, the child is a pre teen, and is oftentimes going to be at peace with the death of their study buddy.

This is also the most coveted job for a fluffy, as they’re going to be living in old age more often than other employed fluffies. When sorting out potential fluffies, the Job Corps staff have a list of the perfect candidate for this position.

4 Likes

I think the main thing is it’s not FluffTV :joy:

Given the benefits of reading plus how audiobooks are supposed to be comparable in many ways? I think it’s definitely a mutually beneficial activity. Getting comfortable to reading, public speaking (even if it’s an audience of one), clear pronunciation, hopefully developing patience, etc., are all good things.

I don’t know what the upper limit for a fluffy’s intelligence is on average but I’d like to think placing a greater demand on it would be good mental exercise for the little fuzz-balls :slight_smile:

4 Likes

In my head cannon, they can have a mental age of a pre teen before death at ages between 7 & 9, so from age 5 onwards. And since these guys are going to be treated a lot better, some may live to 12.

2 Likes

That would be nice it will helps kid’s communication and reading skills.

3 Likes

I’ve no particular ideas in the matter at this time.

1 Like

Yep. Safe practice is good! The number of customers I have who can’t write decent emails is a bit annoying, so I kind of wish I could make them practice.

4 Likes

Just avoid scary storybooks :ghost:

4 Likes

Ae had AR points, read the book, take a quiz on the book, earn points, exchange points for prizes. 1000 points eould have gotten you a DS Lite im pretty sure

1 Like

Ae?

Very cool! Wow, a real budget to incentive reading…

2 Likes

We not ae, i have what my old music teacher calls stupid fingers

3 Likes

Someone on Reddit shared this after seeing this Fluffy Jobs: http://www.readdogsmn.org/

Very cool!

Okay, Reddit has generally been pretty cool about Fluffy Jobs, but this has to be my favorite response so far due to how open they are about themselves…

If you can add meaning to your hugbox or sadbox or even abuse, please do so. Our silly fluffy ponies can still strike chords with people.

4 Likes

I can definitely see this being utilized in schools. Perhaps even having training by fluffies participating in classes to increase their attention spans.

Also that Reddit post. Far between it all Fluffies and your work is important friend.

2 Likes

This is really an excellent use for a fluffy.

Q: But what happens when the child outgrows the fluffy?
A: By then the fluffy should die of natural causes.
Q: And if it doesn’t?
A: Then hand the fluffy down to another family whose child can use a storytime friend
Q: But what if…
A: Jesus. You need me to go there? Fine. Since the fluffy was raised in a stress free environment the meat should be perfectly fine to eat. But that’s a waste of a well-mannered fluffy if you ask me.

4 Likes

Well, thank you very much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart: