Fluffy Subspecies Headcanons (by Pushka)

Fluffy subspecies, unlike non-fluffy biotoys, are all directly derived from the fluffy pony. Most of them are modeled after a real animal species or family, and contain more DNA of that animal than horse DNA.

Bowlfluffies - One of the earliest fluffy subspecies, the bowlfluffy was originally created by Hasbio under the name “My Fluffy Bathtime Pony”. Inspired by popular animal family bath toys, bowlfluffies have the unique ability to float on their backs in water, and have a pronounced indention (or “bowl”) in their stomachs for holding their foals. Though the fluff on their backs is waterproof, the fluff covering the interior of the “bowl” is like that of a normal fluffy. Meant for the comfort of the foals, this feature can backfire if the “bowl” fluff gets waterlogged, as the bowlfluffy will lose its balance and sink.
Due to this, many bowlfluffies were accidentally drowned by their young child owners splashing them (both accidentally and on purpose). This along with the mess all pre-revamp fluffies left led to bowlfluffies’ popularity sinking along with the fluffies themselves.
Though all fluffy subspecies in existence at the time were subject to the Great Fluffy Revamp, and thus bowlfluffies’ bowel issues were dealt with, nothing was ever done about the waterlogging issue. Thus, bowlfluffies remain less popular than their non-bowl brethren, though they still have their enthusiasts.

Fluffalos - The most famous of all the non-equine fluffy subspecies, the fluffalo is a bison-like creature with a gentle and easy-going personality. They generally come in natural brown and tan colors, but colorful fluffalos also exist. Their tails have mane-fluff only on the tips.
Natural-colored fluffalos are often based off of a particular species of bovine, most notably of a bison species. Typically, these are based off of one of the two American Bison subspecies (Plains Bison and Wood Bison) or the Wisent (European Bison), but fluffalos modeled after extinct bison species such as the Longhorn Bison and the Steppe Bison are not unheard of.
Fluffalos based off of old-world buffalos (African Buffalos and Asian Buffalos) also exist.
Those based off of Asian species are called Water Fluffalos (after the Asian Water Buffalo), and are known for their love of water.
All fluffalos have horns, the size and shape of which depend on what species they’re modeled after.

Cowfluffies/Fluffy Cows - Cowfluffies are closely related to fluffalos, and many consider them to be the same subspecies. However, the label “cowfluffy” is typically reserved to fluffy-derived biotoys based off of domestic cattle species.
The most popular cowfluffy types are those based off of dairy cow breeds, such as the Holstein. Dairy cowfluffies, like the animals they’re modeled after, produce much more milk than they need to feed their babies. Thus, they must be milked regularly or else their udders will become infected and swell painfully.
Cowfluffies of both genders typically have horns, but several are born without them or have them removed.

Donkeyfluffies/Fluffy Donkeys - Donkeyfluffies, as their name entails, are fluffies based off of donkeys rather than horses or ponies. They greatly resemble normal fluffies but have longer ears, shorter manes, and tails with mane-fluff only on the tip. They typically come in natural grays and browns, but colorful donkeyfluffies exist as well.
Donkeyfluffies are typically somewhat more intelligent than average fluffies, in part due to their natural stubbornness. However, this stubbornness is a double-edged sword, as Smarty Syndrome is slightly more common in donkeyfluffies due to it.

Zebrafluffies/Fluffy Zebras - Zebrafluffies are one of the most popular fluffy subspecies due to the fact that many little girls (the target audience of most biotoys) love zebras. Zebrafluffies’ ear size can be either normal or longer due to different zebra species having ears of different lengths. Like donkeyfluffies, they have shorter manes and have mane-fluff only on the tips of their tails.
Zebrafluffies do come in natural colors, but unlike the previously mentioned subspecies on this list, are most commonly seen with vibrant colors. Rainbow-and-white zebrafluffies are the most popular color.

Woolies - Woolies are fluffies based off of either wool sheep or wool goats (such as the Angora Goat). They are mainly used for wool, and are typically seen with colorful wool due to the fact that it doesn’t need to be dyed.
Unlike normal fluffies, woolies enjoy being sheared because retaining excess wool will hinder their movement and cause them to overheat. Due to their ability to talk, wool farmers typically know when it’s time to shear them as the woolies will voice their discomfort by saying “fwuff too heabie” or “buwnie huwties”.
The most common type of wooly is the sheepfluffy or Fluffy Sheep. These woolies can have horns, but many are born without them or have them removed. Female sheepfluffies very rarely have horns.

Goatfluffies/Fluffy Goats - Goatfluffies, as their name entails, are based off of goats. They come in an equal frequency of both natural and vibrant colors. Their ears are larger than normal fluffies, and some goatfluffies have floppy ears. All goatfluffies have short, upright maneless tails.
Many goatfluffies of both genders sport silky beards (which they call “chinny-fwuff”), and male goatfluffies with these beards are often very proud of them. They constantly lick their beards to clean them and keep them looking good for impressing females.
Most goatfluffies of both genders have horns, but the horns of males are usually larger.
The length of their fur varies depending on what breed they were based on, though goatfluffies with wool are nearly always called woolies despite being closer to normal goatfluffies than to sheepfluffies.

Deerfluffies/Fluffy Deer - A fairly recent development, deerfluffies are based off of deer. They typically come in natural browns and tans, but colorful deerfluffies are not unheard of. Deerfluffies have short maneless tails similar to those of Whitetail Deer.
Male deerfluffies have antlers which they shed and regrow every year. They are very proud of these antlers and can get sad when they shed them.

Llamafluffies/Fluffy Llamas - These are based off of llamas and alpacas. They come in both natural colors and vibrant ones, with the colorful llamafluffies being the most common.
Like woolies, llamafluffies sport a wool coat, and colorful llamafluffies are prized in the textile industry due to their naturally colorful wool which doesn’t need to be dyed.
When used by wool farmers, llamafluffies are often kept together with woolies.
Llamafluffies are popular pets due to the popularity of llamas and alpacas.

Batfluffies - A less common subspecies, batfluffies are fluffies with traits of bats. Their wings are the same proportions as common pegasus fluffies’ but are bat-like rather than bird-like. Unlike most fluffies, batfluffies are nocturnal, and most often come in darker colors due to this.
There are two types of batfluffies: those with megabat (or fruit bat) DNA and those with microbat DNA.
The first type, called fruit batfluffies, have very large eyes and feed primarily on fruit. They are the size of normal fluffies, and use sight and smell as their main senses.
The second type, called micro batfluffies or bat microfluffies, have large ears and feed primarily on small insects. They are the size of microfluffies. They have poor eyesight, relying on echolocation to get around. Due to being fluffies, their echolocation is much more rudimentary than real microbats’, and micro batfluffies often run into trouble due to this.

Kitsune Fluffies - A relatively new type of fluffy which looks just like normal fluffies except for the fact that they have multiple tails.
They originate from a random mutation which causes the tail to split and duplicate while still in the womb. The first fluffy of this type was born with two tails, but later examples have had up to nine tails.
Kitsune fluffies are proud of and attached to their tails even more so than normal fluffies are. Thus, the loss of even one tail can be devastating for a kitsune fluffy, and the loss of all tails can potentially cause them to enter the infamous “wan die” loop.

10 Likes

Extra Notes:

• Non-equine fluffy subspecies use the respective terminology of the animal they’re based on. So baby fluffalos and cowfluffies are called calves, baby deerfluffies are called fawns, etc.
  • The offspring of a normal fluffy and a donkeyfluffy is called a mulefluffy (or a hinnyfluffy). Unlike real mules and hinnies, they are typically fertile, and all are typically called “mulefluffies” regardless of which parent is which type.
  • Non-equine fluffy subspecies often lack true manes, but will still sport a “tuft” of slightly longer hair on their heads. Those that do have manes are typically the more colorful individuals.
  • Deerfluffy fawns have spots like the fawns of many real deer species have. Some deerfluffies keep them even into adulthood.
  • All fluffy subspecies with horns or antlers have much smaller and duller ones than those of the animals they’re based on. The same is true for the horns of the normal unicorn and alicorn fluffies.
  • Some deerfluffy strains have been bred to have wet noses like most real deer have. Most others retain the horse-like snout of normal fluffies.
  • Female cowfluffies, fluffalos, and deerfluffies have udders with four teats like the animals they’re based off of do.
  • Due to their resemblance to cattle, cowfluffies and fluffalos are popular in India, and it is illegal to kill or abuse them there.
  • Along with the normal black and white pattern, zebrafluffies can also exhibit a few other natural color patterns: Quagga (based off the extinct quagga species), Erythristic (orange/ginger stripes instead of black), Leucistic (pale stripes and blue eyes), and Albino (pale stripes and pink/red eyes)
  • Zebrafluffies and donkeyfluffies still carry the genes for horns and wings; so while it isn’t common, unicorn, pegasus, and alicorn versions can be born.
  • Colorful zebrafluffy unicorns, pegasuses, and alicorns are particularly coveted by their target audience.
  • There exists a type of fake fluffalo created by questionable means. It’s the product of a normal earthie fluffy having two unicorn fluffies’ horns surgically grafted onto the sides of its head. The difference between them and true fluffalos is stark, and these pseudo-fluffalos always produce normal fluffy foals if bred.
  • Batfluffies of both types do best with owners who are night owls.
  • Due to popular demand and marketing potential, many brown cowfluffies produce chocolate milk, many pink cowfluffies produce strawberry milk, and many yellow cowfluffies produce banana milk.
  • Unlike most types of fluffies, pregnant bowlfluffies are completely immobile rather than simply hindered. The expansion of the uterus pushes the skin on top of the “bowl” upwards, making the mare resemble a fluffy ball, and preventing her from standing.
  • Bowlfluffies are a favorite target of many abusers due to their added helplessness. Additonally, many schadenfreude enjoyers love watching feral bowlfluffies mindlessly float to their doom off waterfalls or cluelessly ferry themselves and their young into boiling hotsprings and geysers.
2 Likes

I wanna draw these little fluffs, they sound so adorable.

2 Likes

I’d love to see it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can tell that my deer fluffy is proud of your awareness of their sub species.

3 Likes

Yours is actually the one that made me aware of them! :3

2 Likes

Another Note: Microfluffies and seafluffies aren’t included here because I made separate posts about them.

2 Likes

Added my own version of Kitsune Fluffies.

Their tails are normal horse-like tails, unlike the fox-like tails of Kitsune Woofies.

2 Likes

Oh don’t tempt me to info dump on you.
But i’m glad to see you like them enough to include them
They are an open species\breed after all

2 Likes

Thought I’d clarify that woolies based off of wool goats are actually the same subspecies as goatfluffies, and not the same subspecies as woolies based off of sheep.

1 Like

I added more info about their attachment to their tails. Tell me what you think. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks good to me.

2 Likes

Added my version of batfluffies.

If you didn’t already know, the term “blind as a bat” is based on a misconception; no bat is truly blind, and fruit bats actually have very good vision and don’t use echolocation.

1 Like

Finally made my headcanon about bowlfluffies.

2 Likes