From the Desk of a Fluffy Vet— SBS (by DwellerInTheDark)

Hello, fluffy owners, and welcome to this little side gig I call a blog. You can call me Butch, and as you can probably guess, my day job is providing medical care for your little creatures. Not the biggest fan of them myself, but hey, it’s an honest living. In our inaugural entry, we’ll be discussing what we in the business call “sensitive baby syndrome”— or to use the formal name, “partial fluffy growth hormone insensitivity syndrome”.
—————————
What is SBS?
As its formal name suggests, SBS is the result of the afflicted fluffy’s cells not fully registering the release of growth hormones during foalhood— key word being “fully”, as despite the fact that no specimens I’ve heard of seem to have ever reached puberty, they somehow still manage to grow to adult size (thank you, Hasbio). In addition to the obvious physical symptoms, an SBS fluffy is mentally arrested somewhere in the “chirpy” phase and is thus dumb even by fluffy pony standards.

Also, since their mothers tend to nurse them well past the conventional weaning point, most fluffies with SBS tend to be very, very fat. Unsurprisingly, their leading cause of death (barring abuse— and no, I’m not giving tips on that, if for no other reason than I want to keep my license!) is heart disease.
——————————
What causes it?
It’s a genetic disorder, plain and simple. Speaking from experience, it tends to pop up more in foals born to older mares— particularly ones used as breeders.
——————————
How do I care for a fluffy with SBS?
Despite what other vets say, no, a “sensitive baby” isn’t necessarily solely dependent on its mother’s milk. Going by the results of some personal experiments, their digestive tracts can also handle things like applesauce or regular baby food, so feel free to stock up on Gerber’s. Not only is it better for the little thing than a steady diet of milk, but it’s overall cheaper than buying fluffy formula.

Also, I highly recommend you buy fluffy diapers in bulk. You will need them.

13 Likes

I want a update where they lose their license

1 Like

i’d love to see more of this vet talking about fluffy symptoms and diseases!

Will the mother loose intrest in the foal when she stops nursing?

2 Likes

I hope that this will become a regular/semi-regular series, it’s very interesting.

The only good Sensitive Baby is an dead one.

I hope if this gets a sequel, we see many of them suffer miserably.

Just when i though SBS foals coudnt get more retarded

Now i have to feed it applesauce :derp:

More Fluffy vet entries, please! I’d love to know more about disorders, care and procedures.

Like what are this vet’s views on extreme Hasbio-offered ‘customisations’? Pillowfluffs, Litterpals, Forever Chirpies, Nuggetification? Does he run a Hasbio practise or a private practise?

I find this topic super interesting, vet characters are cool :smiley: