1 Like

'Twas brillig
and the slithy toves
did gyre and gimble in the wabe.
All mimsy were the borogoves
and the mome raths outgrabe.

1 Like

I will need to reread and process this later on. Thank you :slight_smile:

<— late GenX, arguable Xennial if you recognize that grouping, more of a hugboxer but find abuse oddly fascinating in a detached way, do have my limits, probably NOT aware of all my particularities.

1 Like

I am a late Gen X, early Millennial cis woman. I like boys’ toys growing up but I also liked things that were cute and did play with Barbies as a child. As a child I was exposed to A LOT of cutesy pink crap and I think my rage against fluffies is part of my rejection of that sticky-sweet shit. Terrible, worthless kids’ media for girls was such garbage back then compared to the cool stuff boys got like TMNT. And I loved TMNT.

The 90s was also the heyday of dark “edgy” 90s humor and dark violent media. I still have a little bit of that in me. Like it wasn’t cool to like video games that didn’t have blood in them.

Despite being a female, I draw some pretty messed-up stuff. A lot of those things came from anger, and since I’m feeling happier lately, I haven’t drawn as much. But I like both abuse and hugbox.

1 Like

Speaking as somebody who doesn’t see abuse as innate and prefers to work on canon(s) that doesn’t have widespread abuse or treats it as a “normal”, I do think differe generations would have different reasons for owning a fluffy. But thing is, it ultimately boils down to “why” fluffies would be made in the first place, and why they are the way there are.

In a satirical canon where fluffies are “incomplete” MLP, or are a parody of girls cartoons toys made flesh, than sure, I could see how mistreatment of them would be a punchline to said stereotypes. But I’ve developed a fondness for stories that actually tried to explore fluffies in a more serious way. After all, cartoons and comcis centered about intelligent neotenic animals or a babyspeak theme are not new, as seen with Baby Looney Toon and Muppet Babies.

Following on that trend, a canon I prefer to work with is that interest in fluffies grew out of an interest in a show or property. The base can be MLP, or it can be a pastiche of MLP (lately I’ve been writing a show called My Little Fluffy). Conversely, rival companies could come up with thei own franchsies they want to market with their own fluffy pony biotoys.

From there, it would be good to look into why the millennial and Gen Z generations liked MLP so much. It was a phenomena that baffled people when it first happened, but, on 4chan, it was a meme. An ironic meme that became a bit more serious. But, thats not to say MLP:FiM didn’t have merit, for a show to become a meme, it needs to have some quality that it is either good, or outrageously and hilariously bad. Anti-bronies would easily the latter, but the fact remains that /co/'s interest in MLP:FiM was because Lauren Faust was working on it, and the aesthetics of the show harkened to the days of classic 90s cartoons.

I am hesitant to explore Gen X, which is defined as a 60s to 80s period, because I cannot imagine those people being interested in MLP or an MLPlike show, and from their, the subsequent products (nlcuding fluffies). Fluffy canon, imho, should be understood as the result of a phenomena that affected an unusual male demographic consisting of millenians and gen X.

I did a writeup about how it was a group of bronies that created fluffies. It also makes sense to understand the unusual nature of the MLP:FiM fandom. They may seem cringy, but I’d argue that bronies are diverse. Hell, we still have MLP fans within fluffies (Foxhoarder comes to mind), as well as myself.

@RQ I’ve actually been wondering whats your thoughts on Gen4 MLP, aka MLP:FiM. Part of my reason for liking MLP:FiM is because it is not “sticky-sweet shit”. Part of the reason why /co/ was interested in MLP:FiM was because it harkened back to 90s cartoons of a similar aesthetic like Powerpuff Girls and Dexter’s Lab. (after all, Lauren Faust is the wife of Craig McCracken, and they both worked on the Powerpuff Girls)

I sometimes wonder if the latter, non-MLP:FiM fluffy artists/writers, especially the anti-brony ones, typified fluffies as “sticky-sweet shit” based on an assumption of MLP on its Gen 1 to Gen 3 incarnations, as opposed to the more interesting Gen 4. I know @Pushka felt that they were attacking fluffies base don what they disliked in Gen 4, but too much about assumptions about “wuv and huggies” of fluffies in latter fluffy canon reminds me of setereotypes and presumptions of being an “MLP fan”, without knowing why MLP:FiM had the fandom it did.

3 Likes

Gen Z here. It’s hard to speak for everyone because of how these generational divides aren’t as solid as some believe, but I think you’re mostly right.

Generally speaking, I think there is something to be said about the access I had growing up to extremely violent stuff. With all of the gore on the internet and the accessibility of video games, if fluffies were real I think you wouldn’t see as much abuse among my demographic. That being said, I definitely find the abuse content to be more entertaining.

Its a lot more complex then that.

There was a pre-booru gen, as there was fluffy content made before Fluffybooru existed.

Fluffybooru also existed for NINE years before it died. And within those nine years the fluffy hivecanon got very confused. Heck, even you yourself admit there are many fluffya rtists you don’t know about, and I’d point out that the designs and ideas of fluffies change over time.

Even the reddit content, or after booru is fairly new, as the reddit only gained its traction in the last year.

tl;dr The timeline of the booru should NOT be so grossly simplified, especially when the history of the booru itself is complex.

2 Likes

Pre booru is to scattered in focus barely more than a off shoot of mlp the booru years is when fluffys solidified into its own distinct thing ,booru and post booru works just fine when talking about fluffys

1 Like

For some reason I thought that MLP was from 1976, so it would have more relevance to Gen X in a Fluffyverse where Fluffies basically came out with the show (or copyright-free equivalent). Still, younger Gen X was certainly part of it being created in 1981.

Something else as a factor occurs to me. Lisa Frank and the sparklepony aesthetic was usually detested by Gen X boys, but sparkleponies were not universally reviled. Plenty of boys liked the original She-ra and were just disappointed by how her toyline didn’t fit well with existing He-man scale and sculpt compatibility but her sparklepony pegasus named Swift Wind was still a popular toy for both genders. Plus, Transformers has explored both horse characters and a rainbow/neon aesthetic long before the first MLP/Transformers crossover.

I think my hypothesis was wrong and @Aurix is right. Gen X would be more divided, Boomers would loathe Fluffies most.

Pre-Booru is actually better documented thanks to the 4chan archiving.

1 Like

I didn’t watch the “new” MLP much at all but I learned about it via osmosis because it was all over the internet for a time. It looks OK to me. There was a lot of effort put into the show and it’s WAY better than OG MLP. Looks like it has fanbase cancer, though.

As a kid I actually DID have OG My LIttle Pony dolls and played with them and brushed their manes plus watched the cartoon show but it wasn’t something I actively looked for. I liked Care Bears a lot more. But it’s TMNT that I really loved.

1 Like

Thoughts on the Star Wars Ewoks and Droids cartoons, or the sillier TMNT comics put out by Archie Comics?

Im a late millenial or early gen z and as far as I can note millenials and gen z have more things in common than with other generations and both generations would see fluffies with more similarities.

I dont think fluffies has to cope with masculinity mostly in fluffy-fluffy abuse coz theyre animlas in some sense of the word, they see the male-male bad enfs as a way to stablish dominance and some authors look it that way some dont regardless of their generation, I like to think its based on the authors live experiences and this make some do more visceral as an scape for the anger while others like hugbox to calm themselfs for the real world.

As far I can think for conclusion, this has to do more with personal psychology of the creator rather the social psychology of each generation mostly beacuse we cannot know the age and birthplace of the author.

3 Likes

I should specify I meant in-universe generations. Not real life creators and why they write what they do.

But that conversation seems more interesting.

1 Like

@RQ
I actually really recommend watching G4 MLP, aka MLP:FiM when you get the chance. And everything has fanbase cancer one way or the other. Hell, I’m of the opinion that many of the problems of the fluffy fandom is the result of “fanbase cancer”. Its why I refuse to say that one fandom is better than another.

Also, I feel that understand the MLP fandom could help establish why fluffies got so popular as a pet in the early headcanons. I am saying this as fluffies are a product of the MLP fandom, and the Fall of Cleveland was written when fluffies was still “within MLP”.

How a fluffy is written in a story or how are they are treated, as @ShititsMe is pointing out, is entirely dependent on how the writer/artist views fluffies. I know that I myself find the hugbox of fluffies more enriching.

Its part of the reason why in-universe generations is purely hypothetical. In some ways it would not only reflect how an artist/writer views fluffies, but also how they view their past, current and future generations.

2 Likes

The documentation is not the question that 4 Chan era fluffies are to distinct from what we now understand to be fluffys is problem

1 Like

The Booru came when Fluffies were already largely finished conceptually.

They did most of the worldbuilding that took place after Fall Of Cleveland. But the concept of the Fluffy itself was pretty much what we have now. The Booru cemented ideas together into a tighter canon by a kind of peer pressure, but its fall caused the fandom to divide again into wildly different canons.

Its why so many stories of artists are “Got pissed off on the Booru and quit, just came back/gave permission for their work to be reposted today”.

The booru had a lot of problems towards its latter years. In some ways its was a ticking time bomb.

1 Like

You are the new ticking time bomb hell bent on rewriting fluffys to fit your narrow view

3 Likes