Hasbio Scientist Interview: Successful Launch Universe Story [By. VampiricFluffy]

Warning: this document is for Hasbio internal use and review only.

Acting Onsite Psychiatrist: Dr. William Devitis

Employee: Dr. Malin Crowlex

Purpose of Visit: Anxiety and depression

Date: January 13 20██

Dr. Crowlex, provided appropriate consent to this session being recorded (Documentation enclosed). The following document is a text transcription of the audio recording from the session.

Acting Psychiatrist’s Note: Dr. Crowlex till this point has been difficult to deal with, however she has been more open to therapy since the attack. I am no longer advocating for termination, but I would request that she receive weekly Counseling and treatment. I have also written Dr. Crowlex, a prescription for ██████, to aid with her anxiety.

Start of Recording

Dr. Devitis: Dr. Crowlex, I wanted to thank you for agreeing to this session and to it being recorded. You can rescind your consent to the recording at any time throughout the session, in which case I will stop and delete the recording. We will continue the session as normal afterward, or you may also stop the session at any time. Please repeat your verbal consent and understanding for the recording.

Notes: The patient at this point had her personal Fluffy. I allowed it at the start to calm and reassure her.

Dr. Crowlex: I understand the terms and consent to the session being recorded.

Patient’s Fluffy: Why am mummah cwying? mummah hab heawt huwties. Dweamsicwe gib mummah huggies to make bettah.

Notes: The patient clung to the Fluffy even tighter. I would normally allow therapy animals but, given the Patient’s attachment to Fluffies, I feared she would not fully speak her mind with the Fluffy Present.

Dr. Devitis: Dr. Crowlex, I think Dreamsicle may get bored during the session. She can play with my Fluffy, Candy Stripe in the meantime. She is normally the only Fluffy in the company daycare and I am sure she would love another Fluffy to play with.

Patient’s Fluffy: Nu mummah needs Dweamsicwe’s huggies.

Dr. Crowlex: It’s okay Dreamsicle, go and have fun with Candy Stripe. I know for a fact that she is a good Fluffy and her daddy takes good care of her.

Notes: I paused the recording here as we took her personal Fluffy to the company daycare. The patient appears to be at her happiest while caring for them.

Dr. Devitis: Now that we are a bit more settled in. Could you tell me a bit more about why you decided to see me today?

Dr. Crowlex: Since the terrorist attack I have not felt right. It has made daily work and life more challenging.

Dr. Devitis: I can understand your fears, my wife has been nervous on my behalf since. Luckily, all the attackers were stopped, and security has been tighter since.

Dr. Crowlex: I am not afraid for my own life. I can defend myself; I was the one who insisted on having the onsite security that we do.

Dr. Devitis: You’re afraid for the Fluffies?

Dr. Crowlex: Yes, those people were trying to let them out. They thought they were freeing them, but they would have been condemning them. Fluffies have little means of natural defense, it would be like throwing a declawed cat or a deglanded skunk out into the wild.

Dr. Devitis: So, the fear and anxiety you’re experiencing is likely centered around your fear of the Fluffies being harmed.

Dr. Crowlex: I wanted to give them a way to defend themselves, but Hasbio even denied me that.

Dr. Devitis: I’m going to divert a bit here if that is alright. I want to understand a bit more about you and your involvement with the development of Fluffies. Would that be alright?

Dr. Crowlex: If you think it would help.

Dr. Devitis: I know you were not involved with the original concept stage. You were brought in in the very early stages of development.

Dr. Crowlex: That is correct. I was working for a small bio lab at the time, and apparently my dissertation on animal cloning was what made them want to contact me.

Dr. Devitis: While you were not there for early concept designs, you are the reason why Fluffies are the way they are, in a lot of ways.

Dr. Crowlex: Yes, that is correct.

Dr. Devitis: If what I am reading in your file is accurate, you were a strong voice behind many features and changes. I’ll start off with a simple one. Fluffies have a unique way of speaking, but you could have made it, so they spoke fluent standard English and other languages. Yet you insisted on what is now known as “Fluff speak”, why is that?

Dr. Crowlex: You can’t claim ownership of standard English, but anything a Fluffy says has trademark potential.

Dr. Devitis: That is what you told the board, but you are free to be honest now. No matter what you say “Fluff Speak” is a strong enough part of the brand that it will likely never be changed. Keep in mind if you want me to axe the recording now, I will just say the word.

Dr. Crowlex: We gave them the brain power and vocal capability of speech. How their speech patterns developed was with minimal human intervention. It may not be perfect, but it is uniquely theirs. I would not let anyone take that from them.

Dr. Devitis: You let them keep their way of speaking, so that they would have some kind of culture, or identity?

Dr. Crowlex: Yes, as the Abrahamic, God created man and gave them the ability to choose, I let them have their speech. I already nipped and tucked every aspect of their being; they should at least have one thing that is theirs.

Dr. Devitis: I can understand why you can see it that way. You are a very caring person, Dr. Crowlex.

Dr. Crowlex: I’m not, trust me I know I’m not. I have done terrible things for science. Things that a caring person could not comprehend doing. I was cold and calculated with every sort of lab animal you can imagine. Once it was something I made was when I cared.

Dr. Devitis: You do have regrets then clearly. You do feel for creatures that you may consider to be less than you. It just took one of your own to put that in perspective.

Dr. Crowlex: I don’t know if you’re right.

Dr. Devitis: I can’t tell you how you feel. I can only speculate and give my opinion, but it can be useful to hear it from someone other than yourself. I see the heart and care you have for the Fluffies, I really do. Remembering the past can be difficult, but you are not always the same person you remember. I believe that if you truly want to improve yourself you can, and no matter how hard it can be you can forgive yourself.

Dr. Crowlex: I truly appreciate the sentiment, but You speak as if you have never done something that you truly regret in your life.

Dr. Devitis: With all due respect, you have no idea. I served in the military, so trust me; I can grasp what you are saying.

Dr. Crowlex: Can I make a small request?

Dr. Devitis: Of course, Dr. Crowlex.

Dr. Crowlex: Can you just call me, Malin. I would greatly appreciate it.

Dr. Devitis: Of course, Malin. You can call me William, if you would like.

Dr. Crowlex: I’m just going to keep calling you Doctor. So, Doctor, what else do you want to know?

Dr. Devitis: I think I understand a bit better about why Fluffies, speak the way they do. Here is a tamer question, that I am curious about. Why spaghetti?

Dr. Crowlex: It’s an inexpensive dish that most people know how to make. It is also entirely manmade, so it attaches Fluffies to humans in a small way. That is both the explanation I gave and the real answer. Not every decision I made was due to some deep psychological trauma, Doctor.

Dr. Devitis: I apologize that really was just to satisfy my own curiosity. I see a smile, so it clearly did some good.

Dr. Crowlex: Yeah, such a small gesture that truly means the world to them. I think we all like to make others happy on some level, and to do it so easily and get such a loving genuine response.

Dr. Devitis: Yes indeed, I’m glad to hear you say that. Well, I hate to bring down the mood, but I would like to go back in a more serious direction and why you’re here. Are you ready to talk about the terrorist attack?

Dr. Crowlex: I am, ask away, Doctor.

Dr. Devitis: As you said Malin, you were the one who insisted on having the heavy security we do. Likely the only reason such an attack was thwarted as easily as it was, is because we had a military level fighting force onsite. Clearly your concerns were vindicated, but why did you have them in the first place?

Dr. Crowlex: I could see the writing on the walls. PETA was getting fired up like they never had before. Getting to the point of advocating for human violence, and actively rallying supporters. There was a storm Hasbio, Facebook group.

Dr. Devitis: Yes, but there are vague threats against corporations all the time. Why were you so convinced that this would happen?

Dr. Crowlex: Would you believe I saw it in a dream? Let’s just say I had a very strong feeling that turned out to be correct.

Dr. Devitis: I’ll accept that answer. You were on site during the attack, you apparently watched the whole thing happen and even gave security orders. You ordered a squad to divert a group of attackers to a lower level of the building. After that the security footage there was cut out. Every attacker was accounted for except for that group, and I can assume their fate. Malin, what happened to the bodies?

Dr. Crowlex: Don’t ask questions you’re not prepared to hear the answer to. It is none of your concern, the company knows. Also please go back to calling me Dr. Crowlex. I believe we are done here for today, so I will see you next week. I am glad you are taking such good care of Candy Stripe, keep it up. I’ll know if you do anything to harm her.

End of Recording

It seems that whatever defenses she lowered she has since put back up. However, I think with our continued sessions I can make further progress.

Author’s Note: I hope you enjoyed another story in the Successful Launch Universe. Dr. William Devitis first appeared in Therapy Fluffy and I would recommend checking that story out, since it has some strong ties to this one. I wanted to answer a few questions about my cannon in an in universe way, but if you have any more feel free to ask and I will answer to the best of my ability.

I have always really liked stories being told through in universe sources, so I really enjoyed writing this story. Thanks again for reading, feedback is always appreciated.

3 Likes