History of the Fandom by:Foxhoarder

I’m curious, what do you think about the current state of the fandom? Do you think we’re heading in a good direction, are we repeating the mistakes of the past, what problems do you think there currently are?

4 Likes

Right now, I think things are going great. Good fluffies are the norm with only two or three cases of obviously heinous fluffies as far as I remember. And there’s plenty of hugbox, which is the most important cornerstone of the fandom. The site is bound to attract more people as the word spreads, so things are really looking up right now. As long as we keep the hellgremlins from taking root the fandom is bound to stay fun and growing for now.

9 Likes

This is part of why I tried to select a team of moderators that aren’t all about
“KILL ALL FLUFFIES! THEY SHOULD ALL DIE! FASTER PUSSYCAT! KILL KILL!”

We may not all be hugboxers (well, one is) but all of us generally want to create, see, or read about lovable fluffies.

11 Likes

Wow this is a really good topic to talk about
Foxhoarder I really admire you, at first just for your drawing and good headcanons about fluffys and now for what you did for this fandom, I didn’t know that the fandom pass for things like that and I hope that we could keep doing the things right.
By my part I’m just a person who discovered this like 5 months ago and now I want to give my drawings to the community, because I really miss fluffybooru.

7 Likes

It’s really interesting seeing the history of the community as a thirth generation fan of the community

5 Likes

I was originally going to write something else but, and having reread Foxhoarder’s post, I think she covered most of what I was going to say. The only thing I’d add is my own opinion that an over-emphasis of abuse is what led to the fandom’s many problems. Hellgremlins and ugly design was born out of a need to “justify” abuse, and the harassment of other artists was done more so by abusers to hugboxers, aka posting abuse comments on hugbox images, or demanding artists to draw an abuse follow-up. And thats not counting the history of shit-edits and hate art the booru (a reason why art-anon and mixxermike both distanced themselves away from the fandom at the start)

On a tangential note, I decided to do a write-up related to how MLP had an influence on the original fluffy pony fandom: Reddit - Dive into anything

EDIT: I decided to post it to the site as well: From MLP to Fluffy Pony or How Fluffy ponies came to be on 4chan's /co/ and /mlp/

6 Likes

Right then. I suppose the next best alternative is unjustified industrial abuse. That should do the trick!

3 Likes

I prefer the abuse posts but that’s not to say I dont enjoy a well written hugbox story.

3 Likes

I like abuse better when its isn’t justified at all.

5 Likes

So…a Shirt Story Up ahead. I learned about the fluffy Community about 2 or 3 years ago and i think it was when the hellgremlins where at their Peak. I found myself drawn to their Art Like people to a Car accident, but also saw myself Always of being more of a hugboxer. I rediscovered the Community for myself earlier this year. (The booru was still around then) and have to say that i saw myself aß a Person eho enjoyed hugbox content as Well as abuse content (but Like…Not the gory and rapey stuff…especially Not enfie babbehs)

So my question Just is, really…Just Out of curiosity (i dont want to offend people) is it Bad to enjoy both hugbox and abuse content, or should i try gettin away from the latter to Help improving the Community?

4 Likes

I don’t think its bad to enjoy both the hugbox and abuse content. If that is what you like, thats just how it is, and I myself like some neutralbox stories that have abusive elements.

That said, and speaking as someone with a hugboxer bias, I do think that hugbox is a way of improving the community. But when I say that, my approach to hugbox is not only about liking fluffies, but also liking people, especially the people who like fluffies. I have a big admiration for people like Carpdime and Waggytail, as well as people who did collaborations in the booru’s past. During the “hellgremlin” phases, there was a cynical attitude that was prone to dramas and fights, and there were not as many collabs or tributes. I think one reason why artists started leaving the fandom during those phases was because the vitriol started to drive people away, both hugboxer and abuser alike.

6 Likes

I mean…Event hough i enjoy abuse content i really Like the cute little fluffers and IT was Always nice to See something Made by, for an example the two you mentioned (aß for foxhoarder, i really like their content to, but only discovered them on the Last days of the booru, so i am seeing Here more of their Work that i saw there) but in the Other hand i liked Work by artists Like gr1m, which where already almost at the Point where it was too hard for me to read. I never really dared to Dip deeper into the Community Düring booru Times because…damn i was afraid of people tearing me Up.

3 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with liking hugbox and abuse. I like both equally much - although hugbox is more important for keeping the fandom healthy. Besides, there will always be hugbox cute enough to melt even die-hard abuser’s heart, as well as abuse funny enough to make hugboxers laugh. :blush:

10 Likes

To be honest, I’m finding most abuse incredibly unfunny. A lot of fluffy pony abuse lacks the approach Happy Tree Friends has, despite the comparison. Like, at least in Happy Tree Friends, or in classic cartoons, you know the fluffies will come back. I don’t really see that in a 99% of fluffy abuse.

Like, the only fluffy “abuse” that comes close to making me laugh is Pumpiikin’s William, but the fact that he is an immortal character who will never die and keeps stalking Sourpuss like Pepe Lepew is the point of his character.

4 Likes

Step 1 - Fall in love with a Wolfram Sparks thread on 4chan
Step 2 - Find the booru
Step 3 - Buy a draw pad and learn to draw
Step 4 - Start posting fluffy stuff
Step 5 - Get in dramatic fights in the comments section of fluffybooru after the things I spent hours or days on are meticulously torn apart (even worse when it was by other users who couldn’t draw a straight line with a ruler and their art postings would have them repeat art class in elementary school) ((second PS: damn some of those ppl in those days had REALLY REALLY REALLY bad art skills))
Step 6 - Create new account on Booru, promise to only focus on making fun sadbox, hugbox, and abuse box
Step 7 - Repeat Step 5
Step 8 - Delete everything and give up on the fandom
Step 9 - See an image limit fluffy thread on /b 4 years later earlier tonight.
Step 10 - See fluffybooru has been dead for over a year
Step 11 - Do a search for my name on this new site.
Step 12 - See myself being viewed as an important part of Fluffy History.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm feels good.

8 Likes

Actually fluffybooru was dead for four months. It did change domain over a year ago though

3 Likes

the endless cycle good content brings in more fans justified abuse cunts start posting other creator go reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not my fluffy fandom dies and then it begins again

2 Likes

two sides conflict with each other, both lose, in the end we end up with a synthesis, taking the good parts out of both. The third era is basically that, enjoying abuse but letting hugboxers hugbox

3 Likes

epic

1 Like

I’m more of a justified abuse kind of guy myself. I’m not against the concept of hellgremlins existing but I’m just not fond of the concept that ALL fluffies are hellgremlins. I didn’t know about the community until some time last year (I think) but even before knowing any of the lore I just didn’t understand the concept of all fluffies are evil.

I DO know that a ton of great artists were driven away from the community simply because some people just didn’t think to not look at the stuff they didn’t like (like justified abuse and hugbox content). All those people had to do was stick with the content they liked and not look at the stuff they didn’t like.

It’s sad to think that we lost such talented people simply because other people didn’t stick to the content that they liked and ignore the stuff they didn’t

1 Like