Horrorbox, the underrated box.

Unlike the other boxes, horror box hasn’t really been big, or have a notable artist associated with it. From the very few people who used it on the borru, to now, it hasn’t been used often. If we ever wanna change it, we’ll need to do something special.

11 Likes

This has been my ted talk.

2 Likes

It’s too bad we’re past October for this year, but maybe something like a themed week or something? Get an author or artist to sign up for a day they’re going to post a horrorbox work and make a sort of marathon out of it.

You could also do a ‘tag tour’ thing where the organizer generates a list of X number of tags, and people try to make new works using one tag at a time as the primary thing for that work.

3 Likes

@TurboencabulatorThe thing is, Halloween is supposed to be about horror. And I think themed weeks work better when the subject is more broad. Part of the appeal of the old Fluffbyooru competitions was that you could submit any entry in the boxes - abuse, horror, hugbox, sadbox, etc - to the contest as the theme was more open. All that being said.

@MrCreatureFeature I disagree. If anything, Horrorbox is a box that did VERY well. If anything, the real underrated boxes are both weirdbox and hugbox, especially the latter (admittedly, I’m biased)

But here’s the thing - a lot of what is labeled as abuse, is also technically horrorbox. See, the idea behind horror is that its meant to frighten, scare or disgust the reader.. And while some of the original fluffy fiction dealt with straight unabashed abuse of innocent fluffies, or hellgremlin lore pushes the idea of fluffies being “deserving” of abuse, there are a lot of abuse elements and stories that centred around a horror element. The Ringmaster was one such example. Bozdo was another. The way I see it, horror can’t really work with fluffies if people are desensitized to seeing them being hurt thanks to abuse. Its part of the reason whya rtists like Waggytail and Squeakyfriend, who were prominent hugboxers, ended up doing horror, since it was one way to do gore without having to do straight abuse. Some have seen it as abuse but under a different mask. I do think there is a distinction, but I also think people may have not made the distinction - some people have done abuse stories that read like horror, and some people have done “horror” that reads like abuse.

A minor point, but one that is paradoxically major, is that it would mean more boxes. And there’s already people who wanted their own unique boxes like cutebox, jellenbox and so on. Heck, even some people dislike categorization to begin with - hugbox was actually used as a slur on 4chan, thats how we have this box terminology in the first place.

3 Likes

btw since we are at it, can we talk about THIS. i mean look at its terrifying

2 Likes

I have no clue what you were saying near the end but ok.

Ah yes, a creation of horrorbox.

What I’m saying is that hugbox was originally a slur (or an insult), because it was synonymous with autism. Yes, autism, should NEVER be used as an insult, but that was how 4chan culture was and still is. Thus, when people were being nice to fluffies, the abuse anons started calling them hugboxers after the use of the hug box in autism therapy. Over time, the people who preferred righting nice or cute stories about fluffies took up this label as a badge of honour. And then they started applying the box labeling to other categories that didn’t fit, such as weirdbox and sadbox.

I know a few people who dislike the idea of labeling fluffy art and fiction into neat categories like “hugbox”, “abuse”, “sadbox” and so on. Thats why we end up with people asking for new categories, like Squeakyfriend’s “cutebox”, “horrorbox” which was somewhat recent and so on. That said, I do think there is a merit to having these categories.

1 Like

Oh, ok. Though I still still think horrorbox is underrated. (Also speaking of autism, I do have it.)

i think that we should do some festivities type competitions for the month of the festivities (1 week hugbox themed, 2 week sadbox themed, 3 week abuse themed and finally 4 week horrorbox themed)

1 Like

I will