Hot Topic: Inflammatory Language, racism, and current community standards.

I don’t intend for this to be a real time discussion. I just got home from a shift at work, and need to get some actual sleep tonight.

We all have lives outside this website.

Posting your thoughts and opinions can wait for when it isn’t tainted with the need to get some god damn sleep.

9 Likes

Eloquent and Succinct as always, Karn. The intent is very clear in some cases where people have no interest in hearing other viewpoints or being made aware of their behavior… which is a weird thing to do on the internet.

It might have been you, actually, who said, “If you don’t want to listen to feedback, why did you put it online? You can buy a journal and no one will criticize you there.”

6 Likes

I could not have said my feelings about this issue better even if I tried.

It’s especially taxing on me personally because there has been so many discussions at once (controversial anthro deletion, this is not a fluffy debate & now the increase of whatever this is) which is making people leave or distance themselves from the site.

9 Likes

i find it unpleasant & unfunny so i just end up not engaging anymore

19 Likes

Guess i won’t be using 1st world citizen or LATAM anymore on FC

I guess post like
This

Or this

Won’t be accepted anymore?

If a post’s subject material is considered controversial, then the controversial category can be used to shield sensitive readers from seeing content that may offend them. What type of adult content gets included in the controversial category? I would say the same list of adult subject matter that gets movies an R rating, video games an M for mature, or the parental advisory sticker on a music album. Racism should be considered an adult theme that requires the controversial category.

12 Likes

So when we have a mod who actively enters the group chat with “what’s up you fucking niggers” we essentially have state sponsored racism. The general chat because a cesspit which was a big part of my departure.

But, who the fuck am I? My opinion does not matter to anyone but myself.

13 Likes

thats a solid compromise and might actually solve problems. having to opt in to see potentially offensive content and people have a bit more choices and consent on the media they view.

but.

should it be here at all? in the same way anthros were axed, the focus isn’t the fluffy ponies when people use inflammatory langauge. I think you’re exactly the person to debate for less censorship on here because youre more level headed than most and a prolific creator to boot. You’ve actually got a dog in this fight, not just being mouthy in general chat.

haha, boot, no pun intended.

6 Likes

I for one think that on a forum partially dedicated to sentient creatures being violated in the most heinous way possible people should ideally learn to have thicker skin.

I can take 5 minutes of searching to find you a post of a foal being turned into a combination fleshlight waste receptacle or a mare getting its babies fed to it because she interrupted someone on their 14th beer of the night. Heinous topics are not only expected in this community but actively encouraged and applauded. A large chunk of the people here are edgelords who never grew out of tjeir teenage years.

We are a community that supports an artistic medium that indulges in depravity. Who amongst this group would say they enjoy fluffy ponies in a casual setting? Probably no more of you than would say a racial slur casually among acquaintances. In fact I’d reckon that more people would use casual slurs amongst their friends than admit they enjoy watching small child-like horses being thrown into an industrial shredder.

I joined this fandom with the intent to see and depict things that are morally repugnant. You can hide behind the veil of “Well they’re fictional creatures” for your own morals but the majority of people will never see your view point. Either that or they’ll ask you if this is a elaborate scat fetish.

Now i get that some people here may feel that they shouldn’t have to see such things when they just come here to unwind. And i point you to everyone in this fandom as an example. There are doubtlessly plenty of hugboxers who have had to see something they love getting its intestines torn out. Similarly i bet there are abusers who’s reaction to abuse is “get this faggy shit out of here”.

And whats our response to these people? We tell them to ignore it. We don’t give special treatment to people who whine about seeing something they don’t like. The only caveat is when something doesn’t apply to the topic at hand, that being fluffies.

Nor do i think people who complain about racial slurs be given this preferential treatment. What moral grandstand fo we have to pretend we’re too good to allow our members to say the naughty words? “Hey i noticed 30 paragraphs into your story about a loving fluffy family being raped to death by pit bulls that you used a slur. That’s going too far buckaroo.” doesn’t sound like a logical response from this site.

I’ve written stories about a peaceful living creature having a road flare shoved up its cunt and I’ve said Nigger online.

Wanna take a wild guess as to what I’d rather reveal to people?

And i think that about summarises my point. If you can handle seeing this then you can handle seeing someone say nigger or faggot.

10 Likes

I’d be fine with some increased policing of chats and comments to make the community look less hostile to the more hugbox inclined.

Content going in contro if it has to is also a good suggestion.

Removing stories and art that including racist elements seems bad from my pov simply because fluffies are a reflection of us as humans and its a more accessible method of broaching the subject for many users.

4 Likes

Honestly it should not need to change at all.

This is not Twitter or Reddit.

Everyone here is supposed to be an adult, not a bunch of people who want to act woke. Maybe move racially charged works to Controversial, but I would not ban or discourage them. Art is supposed to be free and maybe some adults should just grow the fuck up a bit and respect this.

If the whole thing of the N word being used is a problem, then Poopy Justice should be a problem as well. So would be the idea of LGBT Fluffs and no, I am not joking. Sensitive Babies next would need to go.

You have people who would also suffer due to seeing these things, even if it seems cute and harmless. Your essentially harming a group of people, as it now could be argued but honestly, we all know this is not the case. Adults simply need to grow the fuck up and adult.

5 Likes

The issue has become far more than just GRM not liking a word in someone’s story. Case in point, it was a member of Staff that started this post. It’s less about the words themselves and more about the uptake in how often they’re being seen in General. That can likely be the very first thing that a new member sees and with zero context, it’s a bad look, regardless of intent.
And it’s not all that shocking that some can handle fictional violence against fictional beings easier than terminology that is easily equated with real world bigotry. Devil’s Advocate and all that, if you hear someone saying the same thing an actual racist would and do not know them, it’s difficult to tell the difference.

10 Likes

sensitive babbeh next to leave

… Please don’t give them ideas

1 Like

We’re all here to have fun, fuckin I’m not the best person around here but if we start implementing more moderation eventually this place is going to suck Harder then reddit, and reddit sucks mega balls.

I reckon you could do a 3 strikes policy and then mute people who do it too often or can give temporary suspension to those that just go nuts.

Start a free for all chat too, anything goes if people don’t like it they can leave.

Anything should be allowed here under the controversial tag, like that post you put in, that post is hilarious and should remain.

Anything should be allowed here just put it under the right tag or people are going to leave and it won’t be fun anymore.

That’s my dumbass 2 cents worth

9 Likes

See I agree with that. It’s less about outright hobbling all speech and more about reigning it in. I don’t like extreme solutions either as they tend to stifle creativity and stomp on free speech. People jump to a 1 or 10 solution when a 5 is generally the answer.

Literally what Contro was made for.

6 Likes

My opinion would be, racist or homophobic elements should be regulated but not banned, so that sites begin to become more and more restrictive, it depends too much on the context in which it is used, it is not the same to use it to denote that the racist person is an imbecile even with humans, which is only one more detail of the character, unimportant and with the mere purpose of making your story more edgy.

1 Like

Alright, im going to make this statement without much tact, as i don’t really think my point can be made while doing so.

Firstly, moderation here is extremely caught up on labels, it seems as if there is no action that can be taken without making it a site wide change. You are moderators you are here to moderate, stop making every problem some huge show that has to include the whole community and has to have giant implications. Talk amogst yourselves as a mod team, figure out the issue, and deal with it. Not everything has to be made a huge ruling decision. Make some decisions on your own. If someone is continously abusing a person in chat over the course of multiple days, dont sit on your hands and go “oh but maybe someone would get upset if i did something”, use your judgement as an administrator and deal with it.

As far as this particular issue goes, there is already a solution that no one uses due to a culture being built around its use, no one uses the report function because it’s become synonymous with being whiney. Lets start using the damn system that’s in place, to help the moderators make these decisions. If you see something that you think crosses the line in some way, report it. Put a little note that says “probably too far” in the report, if several people report it, and they are reliable members of the community, then moderation has a metric to work of off instead of trying to mind read or create huge surveys to try and make everyone happy.

On the opposite side of this, while I am asking for moderators to make moves on their own, they also need to calm their tits. One of the absolute worst things you can do for a microcommunity is institute tons of huge sweeping changes in a short amount of time. Im not going to debate the anthro-nonfluff issues, but having so many huge changes in a short amount of time sows discontent. Give people some recovery time to go “oh okay, this has changed, a new status quo is building” and then implement a new change.

Overall I have been extremely unhappy with the moderation of the site in the last few months. It feels like the moderation is both extremely weak willed and quick to act at the same time depending on the issue at hand.

This is less about the issue at hand and more a dump of my frustrations. This is a great community, and while there are certainly some bad eggs, pretty much everyone here is a good person at heart, but mob rule is not the way to go. Taking community input is not a bad thing but out of the ~1000 people who view posts regularly, only about ~30 will comment here. Thats 0.03%. You will not get an accurate representation of community sentiment with that. It is your job and responsibilty as administration to deal with these issues, and if you see a fellow moderator abusing systems or making bad calls, dont pussy foot around it, call it out. Leadership is what is needed at this time, and not one person or one viewpoint, but a functioning team.

Huge fucking rant and I’m sure I already regret some things that I put here, and almost certaintly will piss some people off but its what came out of brain when I thought of this issue.

16 Likes

So, talk about poopie fluffies is still okay? Or not?

Given all the horrors seen on here daily with fluffy on fluffy beatings, rapes, killings and the acts of human abusers, to hear that people are upset about racism seems… odd. I’ve been through several website changes since first finding this community.

Are we going to get inclusivity readers to make sure people aren’t offended?

5 Likes

I don’t think we’ll be taking any steps that rid us of 85% of the content we have

Well it’s funny you should ask that. I’ve been talking to this company called Sweet Baby and they say they can get us a whole suite of customizations by June…

this is a joke

5 Likes