Hot Topic: Inflammatory Language, racism, and current community standards.

Good evening everyone,

I’m Goomy, the most recent member of the moderation team. Recently there have been concerns over the prevalence of racial slurs used in conversation on the site as well as artwork being posted that contains recreations of racist memes (but with fluffies).

As things currently stand, Fluffy Community is operating under a principle that basically amounts to “Do not be directly racist”. Using slurs is allowed as long as they are not used to directly attack an individual for their racial or ethnic identity (or any of the numerous other things that have slurs because people just can’t be pleasant to each other).

Fluffies as we know them now came from a space where this was permitted. An argument could be made that this is simply continuing as is.

However, the community currently has members who did not come from that same space or have simply decided that no really, they don’t need to engage with slurs/racist language on the website about imaginary genetic chimera horses and would really be happy if that language went away on site. The internet has changed, for good or ill and we should change with it and institute a tighter degree of moderation.

We have already had people leave due to the current status quo, and people who are becoming uncomfortable the perceived increase of their use and other racially charged content. And you can easily create fluffy content without having to use slurs and I would like to think everyone here is not suffering from some previously unknown condition where they are required to utilize a certain number of slurs or post a specific amount of racist content daily.

Fluffies do deal with some subject matter that is to say the least, seen as problematic. Rape, murder, abuse and more is routinely inflicted on fluffies in stories and art on site. And it is likely an outsider would find this just as objectionable as to the use of slurs or creation of racially charged images. After all, the people who enjoy fluffies and create content aren’t exactly seen favorably with allegations of enjoying zoosadism being a common response.

So where do we draw the line? I know for some this may be an apples and oranges comparison. After all, the suffering of fluffies is the draw, and this site is one of the few places you have access this sort of content. And there are a multitude of spaces you can use your spicy new slur.

But take images like Asschwitz. Compared to some images on site it’s practically tame. But is it racist/antisemitic and under a tighter restriction on content and communications would it have to go?

Where do we draw the line and why?

I am posting this because I as a moderator and a user of the site genuinely want to hear people’s opinions.

That said, I do not want this thread’s comment section to devolve into accusations of people being racists, thin skinned and oversensitive, secretly actually Hitler, or part of the alphabet mafia plan to make Fluffies an all hugbox all the time rainbow safe space.

Express an opinion without attacking those you disagree with. Be civil. This comment section will not be a free for all and I will actually enforce rule 9.

I understand this is an emotionally charged topic and the urge to call someone a fucking idiot or worse will likely rise. If it does, step away, gather your thoughts and find a way to express your disagreement that is civil.

You don’t win for insulting people creatively or unleashing your precious folder of memes about the Armenian genocide.

We all win if we can find a point and place we can agree is a reasonable standard for the community involving personal interaction and what is acceptable for content when some think we are already well past too far in “how far is too far?”.

26 Likes

I guess we have a lot of different ideologies colliding in here

5 Likes

I was talking to someone earlier and they pointed out something to me. For a while, general chat had gotten very hostile and kind of toxic but that was mostly fixed (in my eyes) by something as simple as people (mods mainly) basically just saying “cool it, guys.” People who talk to me in chat know I’m there a lot and I feel like I’ve seen a big change since it was simply brought to peoples’ attention.
It could be incredibly naive of me to think this could work across the whole site but it would be nice if we could just tone down some of the racist content and try to steer away from the kind of shit that’s meant purely to offend people and nothing else.

12 Likes

Some of my closest friends use slurs or epithets in much the same way I use vulgarities; sprinkled in for flavor.
It’s not something that I do. It was never my way.
So I’m unlikely to start saying such things just because I can. And I’m glad I don’t have to tell these people they have to change their language to suit my ways.

3 Likes

People also probably know I’m not shy about throwing around mean words myself sometimes but it does get to be too much. It doesn’t bother me but it does bother some and those people are a part of the community like everyone else. God knows I don’t want to start fucking policing language and banning people for bad words but some people could also just act with a bit of tact and not be so on-the-nose about it

7 Likes

Also I’ll just go out and say it, at the risk of sounding like a hypocrite. I think a couple moderators could be more tactful about it and spare the rod a bit. In hindsight it honestly does feel to me to be a little too much and it’s just kind of a bad look that it’s coming from site staff so much.

8 Likes

I feel like we should be abusing the fluffies and not each other. Slurs have one purpose, and that is to let everyone know that you want to hurt your target. I get enough of that in real life, I dont need it in the media I consume, too.

We cannot assign human politics or opinions on human matters to non-human, fictional creatures. It takes the focus away from the fluffy ponies. In that way, using slurs and overt racism in fluffy pony media is taking the focus off the fluffy ponies. The fluffy is in the corner of the media, not central to the plot, and taking a backseat to the human creator and their viewpoints.

In the interest of fluffy pony integrity, i would suggest we grow past the toxicities that no longer suit the large and diverse community. We have every identity and race and 6 continents represented here, there isnt room for human hatred.

but

I’m also not suggesting the community go off in some safe-space snowflake direction, there are already forums for that, there is only ONE fluffy community. perhaps returning to the origins of the phenomena and the community. Fluffy ponies doesn’t work on pure abuse or pure hugbox, in the spirit of Grand Guignol we need lightness to emphasize the horror, and humor to balance tragedy.

Hurting real humans in the real world doesn’t belong in a fictional world of fluffy ponies.

Its also been made clear the few times i have tried to speak up about the problematic language and the way people treat each other that most people are just fine with things the way they are. So i choose not to engage with problematic creators or commenters. I wish I had spoken up sooner, or spoken up louder. I apologize for my apathy.

18 Likes

It has been more than noticeable.
And while the intent is usually harmless, the effect is not.
Saying things that are shocking is a staple of this hobby but the problem is when it’s aimed at other members of the community. It’s easy to say that they are just words and that people should grow up, but if it makes people uncomfortable enough to not want to respond or worse, to leave (which it has for some) then that allows a weaponized method of ousting others.
I’m far from what many would call Politically Correct, and I tend to just shrug off most nonsense I read, but not every person is capable of that. To me, it’s always less about what is said and far more about the intent. Which is always nebulous when it’s nothing more than someone pretending to be racist or edgy for humor/shock sake. Hence why many cannot tell the difference.

13 Likes

I was looking forward to this discussion but it came a little late for me and the pills be hittin so I probably won’t be able to continue this tonight. Not very well anyway. I hope what I already said was rational and coherent enough. I’m really hoping we can just find a bit of civility and maybe even some kinda middle ground for this.

4 Likes

I don’t intend for this to be a real time discussion. I just got home from a shift at work, and need to get some actual sleep tonight.

We all have lives outside this website.

Posting your thoughts and opinions can wait for when it isn’t tainted with the need to get some god damn sleep.

9 Likes

Eloquent and Succinct as always, Karn. The intent is very clear in some cases where people have no interest in hearing other viewpoints or being made aware of their behavior… which is a weird thing to do on the internet.

It might have been you, actually, who said, “If you don’t want to listen to feedback, why did you put it online? You can buy a journal and no one will criticize you there.”

6 Likes

I could not have said my feelings about this issue better even if I tried.

It’s especially taxing on me personally because there has been so many discussions at once (controversial anthro deletion, this is not a fluffy debate & now the increase of whatever this is) which is making people leave or distance themselves from the site.

9 Likes

i find it unpleasant & unfunny so i just end up not engaging anymore

19 Likes

Guess i won’t be using 1st world citizen or LATAM anymore on FC

I guess post like
This

Or this

Won’t be accepted anymore?

If a post’s subject material is considered controversial, then the controversial category can be used to shield sensitive readers from seeing content that may offend them. What type of adult content gets included in the controversial category? I would say the same list of adult subject matter that gets movies an R rating, video games an M for mature, or the parental advisory sticker on a music album. Racism should be considered an adult theme that requires the controversial category.

12 Likes

So when we have a mod who actively enters the group chat with “what’s up you fucking niggers” we essentially have state sponsored racism. The general chat because a cesspit which was a big part of my departure.

But, who the fuck am I? My opinion does not matter to anyone but myself.

13 Likes

thats a solid compromise and might actually solve problems. having to opt in to see potentially offensive content and people have a bit more choices and consent on the media they view.

but.

should it be here at all? in the same way anthros were axed, the focus isn’t the fluffy ponies when people use inflammatory langauge. I think you’re exactly the person to debate for less censorship on here because youre more level headed than most and a prolific creator to boot. You’ve actually got a dog in this fight, not just being mouthy in general chat.

haha, boot, no pun intended.

6 Likes

I for one think that on a forum partially dedicated to sentient creatures being violated in the most heinous way possible people should ideally learn to have thicker skin.

I can take 5 minutes of searching to find you a post of a foal being turned into a combination fleshlight waste receptacle or a mare getting its babies fed to it because she interrupted someone on their 14th beer of the night. Heinous topics are not only expected in this community but actively encouraged and applauded. A large chunk of the people here are edgelords who never grew out of tjeir teenage years.

We are a community that supports an artistic medium that indulges in depravity. Who amongst this group would say they enjoy fluffy ponies in a casual setting? Probably no more of you than would say a racial slur casually among acquaintances. In fact I’d reckon that more people would use casual slurs amongst their friends than admit they enjoy watching small child-like horses being thrown into an industrial shredder.

I joined this fandom with the intent to see and depict things that are morally repugnant. You can hide behind the veil of “Well they’re fictional creatures” for your own morals but the majority of people will never see your view point. Either that or they’ll ask you if this is a elaborate scat fetish.

Now i get that some people here may feel that they shouldn’t have to see such things when they just come here to unwind. And i point you to everyone in this fandom as an example. There are doubtlessly plenty of hugboxers who have had to see something they love getting its intestines torn out. Similarly i bet there are abusers who’s reaction to abuse is “get this faggy shit out of here”.

And whats our response to these people? We tell them to ignore it. We don’t give special treatment to people who whine about seeing something they don’t like. The only caveat is when something doesn’t apply to the topic at hand, that being fluffies.

Nor do i think people who complain about racial slurs be given this preferential treatment. What moral grandstand fo we have to pretend we’re too good to allow our members to say the naughty words? “Hey i noticed 30 paragraphs into your story about a loving fluffy family being raped to death by pit bulls that you used a slur. That’s going too far buckaroo.” doesn’t sound like a logical response from this site.

I’ve written stories about a peaceful living creature having a road flare shoved up its cunt and I’ve said Nigger online.

Wanna take a wild guess as to what I’d rather reveal to people?

And i think that about summarises my point. If you can handle seeing this then you can handle seeing someone say nigger or faggot.

10 Likes

I’d be fine with some increased policing of chats and comments to make the community look less hostile to the more hugbox inclined.

Content going in contro if it has to is also a good suggestion.

Removing stories and art that including racist elements seems bad from my pov simply because fluffies are a reflection of us as humans and its a more accessible method of broaching the subject for many users.

4 Likes