Hugbox

I would say that it would be too much abuse. The proportions from 30/70 to 50/50 of both hugbox and abuse/sadbox seams more reasonable

6 Likes

I say let me drown in sadbox and abuse with just enough hugbox to keep me sane. Do like a 90-10 split. Though I’d go as far as a 75-25 split

4 Likes

Anything purely one box just has no immersion for me. Comics can get away with it due to brevity, literature does not.

A purely Hugbox world comes across as a cartoon or short movie that would be made for Fluffverse. A world with Stomping Day as a global holiday and multiple franchises located in every city dedicated to Abuse products just reads as edgelord venting. Sadbox often feels like the exact same story with the same actors in different colors over and over and along with Abuse it really feels kinda misogynist over time since Mares are only allowed to be rape victims and watch babies die with no other priorities allowed unless its to villainize them in baby-related ways.

Gotta mix it up. Story is one -box but the world is another, or a Neutralbox world where specific places lean more towards one or the other and your -box story takes place in.

5 Likes

The better the mix, the less predictable it is

4 Likes

Which is why hellgremlins is a trope that needs to die. No stallion helllgremlins, no fluffy rape (with the exception of human manipulated special huggies for breeding or abuse purposes, and the very rare human-on-fluffy molestation). And no hellgremlin mares mean no over done poopie babbeh/alicorn/runt stories (bonus points for obligatory whiteknighting)

4 Likes

Fluffies stemmed from old 4chan, which provides a good example.

The place where a confused old man in need of help for a stray he found can post his personal information, and people will direct him to his local shelter and how to keep it alive without Swatting him or something.

Where a Marine in Afghanistan posts a video of himself throwing a puppy off a cliff and people not only Doxx the shit out of him, but make it so the Marine has to be removed from an active combat zone because his unit is a danger to him.

Where you could find the foot fetish videos of people in high heels crushing puppies and kittens to death, and people judging the sexiness of real dead human bodies leaked from police records.

2 Likes

That leaves Fluffies as bouncing happy balls with no agency, and all Sadbox stories as Abuse or death from nature.

2 Likes

Yes. That’s the point

3 Likes

Not enough creative freedom, and writing from their perspective would be incredibly boring.

Solve the problem with breeds, hobbyist scientists, and non-Hasbio knockoffs.

Gen 1 are balls of happy. The rest is a spectrum of intelligence, violence, and teleportation powers.

2 Likes

Placing limitations helps reinforce creativity. You have to view everything from all angles to keep things fresh and new. If you find yourself retelling the same story over and over because someone said fluffies shouldn’t be sociopathic assholes, that’s a weakness on your part, not the medium’s.

At which point you add hellgremlins, satyrs, anthros, and whatever and it’s no longer about fluffies.

2 Likes

always whit the vilifying of the imagery “certain people” to demonize everyone but your vision of the community. never stop being the very thing you claim to be against

3 Likes

Everyone does the same story over and over.
Regressing back to Flufflepuff doesn’t fix anything.

At which point you add hellgremlins, satyrs, anthros, and whatever and it’s no longer about fluffies.

Those are all classic Fluffy things. The 90’s of Fluffies metaphorically speaking.

2 Likes

Like all flavors of fluffy pony story, it can become stagnant. There are tropes that show up in each sub genre that I’m not particularly fond of (or, I guess, bored of): the abused mare and/or foals getting adopted by a good Samaritan without any kind of follow up conflict(s), smarty friends portrayed consistently as suicidal sociopaths, “bestes’ babbehs” etc. If you wanted to put together a parody of each ___box it would be easy to do so. Except weirdbox and horrorbox, I guess, since like 'Nam there are no rules.

That said, the sheer volume of content that the fandom generates means that everyone’s unique spin almost always offsets it enough to be enjoyable. Good hugbox is emotional junk food, and that’s perfectly fine, but sometimes I think people take things way too seriously.

5 Likes

I enjoy a good story, regardless of subject matter. But I mostly feel that hugbox, sadbox, and abuse compliment each other. A satisfying feeling of catharsis can only come from a mixture of all these elements.

5 Likes

Hugbox is the most vital part of the fandom. Not the most exciting, but it’s the most vital cornerstone without which none of the other boxes can support themselves. Those who don’t like hugbox should be extra grateful for those who make it, because without enough hugbox to balance the abuse the fandom would collapse into darkness-induced audience apathy with even hardcore abuse becoming just ordinary.

12 Likes

You’re absolutely right @Foxhoarder, without Hugbox tying it all together. Everything just falls apart and people get bored and leave.

A good example of “darkness-induced audience apathy” of a fandom, would be r/imsorryjon (A Garfield horror based sub).

It’s premise is Garfield either being a monster or turning into monster, that terrorizes/eats/mentally breaks Jon & Odie. It becomes quite repetitive after awhile, so artists and writers have to go really big with the shock/gore/depression/horror to even get noticed and stand out or the artists & writers have to wait till the weekend (as per the sub’s rule when outside Garfield content is allowed) to explore other shows, show off their oc, etc.There’s really not much else to balance out that sub.

3 Likes

Boring, but acceptable as long as you don’t demand justice abuse from abuse box or sadbox

2 Likes

they don’t deserve a box in this case

2 Likes

Fluffy has to beatbox to death

2 Likes

This. Very this.

2 Likes